How do I know if there is a mystery in the area?

leafyseadragon

I tried hiding a cache, but the reviewer said there was a mystery cache too close to where my hide would be.

To avoid repeating this problem, I emailed the moderator with my potential location. I haven't had a response and it's been more than a week or two.

So I was wondering if it was possible to set the Date Placed to be somewhere in the future, and when it gets approved, place the cache before that date. More importantly, will the approved cache not show up in searches until the Date Placed?

Anyone have experience with this? :unsure:

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to point out one useful tip for the future: Before hiding a geocache, always make sure you've found the caches in the area, that way you'll make sure that no physical points are close to the location you have chosen to place your geocache at.

Regarding the question itself, I'm pretty sure it won't make any difference to you. The Date Placed will only be something that is part of the geocache info. The cache will only show up on the searches after the reviewer made sure that your geocache is ready to go and publishes it.

If you have any other question or if I haven't been explicit enough, let me know.

HCompleto

The only way to know is to find them all. This is something we all encounter. Lots of people will ask for a saturation check if their cache is a lot of work.

As for the date- all that says is what you want it to say. Just like the places by field, where you can put anything(but it still links to your profile.)

It will only effect searches sorted by last placed or first placed, which IMO should be done away with, and replaced with published date.

So I was wondering if it was possible to set the Date Placed to be somewhere in the future, and when it gets approved, place the cache before that date. More importantly, will the approved cache not show up in searches until the Date Placed?

This is not a workable approach.

Instead, create a cache page, title it Coordinate Check Please, and explain that you just want to know if the coords are going to be okay. Submit for review.

A reviewer will let you know if the location is okay, or not and they'll disable the cache - ie, take it out of the review queue. Assuming it IS good, place the cache, edit the page, and Submit for Review again.

Here's a Help Center article that covers this http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Thanks for the tip, palmetto.

My problem is that the place where I want to hide a cache involves a decent hike. I would rather not hike out, place the cache, find out I can't put it there, and then have to hike back in to retrieve it. Once I move the cache, the cycle starts all over again. For places I pass by every day, it's not that big a deal.

Finding all the caches in an area before hiding is a good idea and preferred approach, but is not always an option. There might be hundreds of Unknown caches in crowded areas that can lead to your spot. Or they are D5, unsolvable for you. Even if you solve all of them, there might be multicaches or Wherigos or letterbox hybrids leading there. Even if you found all of them that start within the next 5 miles there might be a long distance hiking or biking cache that starts in another state and ends near your spot or one of the old Unknown caches with header very far away.

New Unknown caches are not too far from their headers, only 1-2 miles. So if there are not too many of them, you might try to solve them, a lot of them don't include additional field work. If there is only one owner with Unknown caches, here some simply ask the owner whether the place is free, or ask one of the 'already cleared the zone'-players to speed up, especially if doing a coordinate check by the local reviewer doesn't work well in the region (when either the coordinate check gets delayed too long or caches marked 'coordinate check' get published immediately if the place is available).

My problem is that the place where I want to hide a cache involves a decent hike. I would rather not hike out, place the cache, find out I can't put it there, and then have to hike back in to retrieve it. Once I move the cache, the cycle starts all over again. For places I pass by every day, it's not that big a deal.

Mystery caches are supposed to be with in 2 miles of the ? icon on the map.

You could submit a page for coordinate check, explain what you said above, and ask for a wider check for other caches. The reviewer may, or may not, admit to caches in the area - IF they think you are trying to 'Battleship' a nearby cache.

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to point out one useful tip for the future: Before hiding a geocache, always make sure you've found the caches in the area, that way you'll make sure that no physical points are close to the location you have chosen to place your geocache at.

Regarding the question itself, I'm pretty sure it won't make any difference to you. The Date Placed will only be something that is part of the geocache info. The cache will only show up on the searches after the reviewer made sure that your geocache is ready to go and publishes it.

If you have any other question or if I haven't been explicit enough, let me know.

HCompleto

Finding them all does not work. I have a hide in which stage one to two is about 15 miles. Stage three about 5 miles. Stage four about 15 miles.

The final another 15 to 20 miles. I know of some others that are like mine.

I found one that took me about two years to do. Took me about 300 miles too.

You could submit a page for coordinate check, explain what you said above, and ask for a wider check for other caches. The reviewer may, or may not, admit to caches in the area - IF they think you are trying to 'Battleship' a nearby cache.

There can be a twist to that rule, the mystery may be a multy as well.

I am currently working on finding one in which stage one to two is about 140 miles. Possibly ten stages. Word is it is 500 miles.

There can be a twist to that rule, the mystery may be a multy as well.

I am currently working on finding one in which stage one to two is about 140 miles. Possibly ten stages. Word is it is 500 miles.

IF the cache is an unknown/mystery with FALSE coordinates then the final has to be within 2 Miles of the posted coordinates. In that case there is NOTHING to find at the posted coordinates related to the mystery.

A multi would have fewer if any restrictions on distance away as long as SOMETHING is at the coordinates posted.

It should list the distance expected to travel to the final as a gesture... given costs these days... or risk getting lambasted in the logs etc. Anyway the difference is in what is or isn't at the coordinates on the listing as far as what icon the cache gets. Multis are just that and unknown/mystery can be either true or false coordinates as needed.

Either type could be a puzzle as well or just a cache.

The OP has a bigger misunderstanding in that they missed that what they were given several times was the instructions for checking the coordinates availability WITHOUT having to place anything, but might have to select new coordinates after listening to the reviewers reply. Doing a search based on the coordinates they have will give a listing of even PMO caches in the area and their directions away... of course multis and u/m caches have the final concealed... and u/m should have a disclaimer of false coordinates on the page...

Doug 7rxc

IF the cache is an unknown/mystery with FALSE coordinates then the final has to be within 2 Miles of the posted coordinates. In that case there is NOTHING to find at the posted coordinates related to the mystery.
Yes, the guidelines for mystery/puzzle caches state "Final coordinates must be less than 2 miles (3.2 km) from the posted coordinates."

But there are exceptions. And not all of them are older puzzle caches placed before the 2-mile guideline was created.

And yes, regardless of the distinctions between puzzle caches, multi-caches, and multi-stage puzzle caches, before investing significant time/money in cache designs that can't be relocated, it's a good idea to follow the instructions in the Help Center document that palmetto linked to:

Checking for Geocache Saturation

This is one I did not long ago 3001 the final oddesy. Final stage is about 50 miles from posted false coords. Made well after the rule was made.

The key is it is more a multy. To find stage one you must solve the puzzle.

Past that multy, this hide is listed with ?. I have confirmed with my reviewers

That this is allowed, this goes under the multy rules.

So puzzle multy hybrids follow multy rules. Which have no distance rule.

So puzzle multy hybrids follow multy rules. Which have no distance rule.

A distance "rule" might be imposed on what a cache owner could conceivably be maintained. With a Multi spread out over 500 miles, it wouldn't surprise me if a Reviewer called into question whether the CO could adequately maintain it.

A bit off topic, but putting some distance constraints on the original question is valid :)

But even maintenance issues are subjective. The CO who owns 3001 has in excess

Of 4000 hides. One in Hawaii, he has minions to help place them and maintain.

I own a hide over 140 miles from home. I do the maint. The hide that I mention with 500 miles is about 500 miles of driving. I do not know where the final is.

But stage two is 140 miles from posted coords. So you see to know where a non posted coords is, is almost impossible. Unless you find it. Or are told of it.

Edited by Mn-treker

But even maintenance issues are subjective. The CO who owns 3001 has in excess

Of 4000 hides. One in Hawaii, he has minions to help place them and maintain.

I own a hide over 140 miles from home. I do the maint. The hide that I mention with 500 miles is about 500 miles of driving. I do not know where the final is.

But stage two is 140 miles from posted coords. So you see to know where a non posted coords is, is almost impossible. Unless you find it. Or are told of it.

Sorry. I should have added, "...your mileage may vary..." ;)

True to a point, but there was a time when there was no proximity rule for mystery caches, and the final could wind up pretty much anywhere in the world. You can't predict when one of those older ones is going to pop up and bite you in the butt. The current rule of < 2 miles did not always exist.

Further to that, there is no current equivalent proximity rule for multi-caches whose final coordinates can also range FAR away from the initial stage. Those can bite you from many miles from the stage 1 posted coordinates.

So "in the area" can take on a VERY broad scope -- more than many cachers could manage before placing their first cache.

Multi-Caches

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache. Provide the coordinates of all subsequent stages of the multi-cache by using the Additional Waypoints feature. If you do not want the coordinates for the additional stages displayed to the public, mark them as "hidden." Only the cache owner, reviewers and Groundspeak lackeys can view hidden coordinates.

Mystery/Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve this type cache must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location, but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. Final coordinates must be less than 2 miles (3.2 km) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and means that the mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate. Add the final set of coordinates and any additional waypoints to the cache listing before submitting for review.

Edited by ecanderson