Fake Cacher in S.Jersey?

Mopar

I seem to remember not getting any answers from my 3 DC virtuals, so I've just been through and culled the logs. They were all cut and pastes of the same text that was mentioned earlier on this thread. If he really did visit, then he is welcome to log them more uniquely, and send me the answers this time.

Cheers Gav

This is TripLeader in KY. Would you believe a few of my friends here were even talking about Dr Who at a geocaching (GEOCKY, as in Geocaching Central KY) park clean-up yesterday? The word has spread and guys like him are not appreciated.

Dr Who's caching count has now droped by another false find. I deleted him from my Allen's Town Cache in NJ since he did not reply to my e-mail asking him a question about this virtual cache. (OK, maybe it's difficulty should be a 1 1/2 instead of a 1).

I was more than fair about this. He had over two weeks since his post, then I e-mailed him and explained exactly how he could go about e-mailing me back (just in case he was not that great with a PC).

I think it's time now to delete his ID!

TheMagician, DrDee, and Dr Who are all from the same household, but I won't jump to conclusions until I get an explanation. I sent an email to TheMagician to sort this out. On the side of hopeful support, it is possible that members of TheMagician's household have created their own accounts to go geocaching, and are catching up on their own logs (sometimes getting dates wrong).

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

TheMagician, DrDee, and Dr Who are all from the same household, but I won't jump to conclusions until I get an explanation. I sent an email to TheMagician to sort this out. On the side of hopeful support, it is possible that members of TheMagician's household have created their own accounts to go geocaching, and are catching up on their own logs (sometimes getting dates wrong).

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Thanks, Jeremy. I sure can understand the catching up on the logs part, I'm still 20 or so logs behind.

The difference, I think, anyway, is if someone looks in a logbook, they will see I signed it. In Dr Who's case, I have now personally visited maybe a dozen caches he claims to have found, and not one was signed on ANY date (I checked). The biggest thing for me thoough, was not only did he not sign the book in a cache I had hidden, the trade item he claims to have taken was still there. Add to that all the other cache owners who have found the same thing, and the wrong descriptions of cache locations, AND that Dr Who won't respond to anyone's email, and I think I've already used up as much doubt I can give anyone the benefit of

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on April 28, 2003 at 01:04 PM.]

Amost forgot The Spencer Park cache.

Seems sorta odd for 2 people who live in the same house to have just met, isnt it?

quote:

icon_smile.gif April 8 by Dr Who (119 found)

found this... well didn't actually find it...

I came over the hill following gps looked up and saw someone sitting next to a tree with something black in his hand.

It was theMagician he was out checking on his caches. He changed the coffee can for a nice new plastic 3 quart screw lid container. He told me all about NJGA and I joined on the spot.

I'll be trying to make some of the NJGA picnics this summer. Sounds like a lot of fun.

TNLN

If these 2 people live together, and yet never met before Apri1 8th, I'll buy BOTH of them a steak dinner.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

thats gonna be three steak dinners you gona have to pay out!

]

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Amost forgot http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48723 cache.

Seems sorta odd for 2 people who live in the same house to have just met, isnt it?

quote:

I came over the hill following gps looked up and saw someone sitting next to a tree with something black in his hand.

It was theMagician he was out checking on his caches. He changed the coffee can for a nice new plastic 3 quart screw lid container. He told me all about NJGA and I joined on the spot.

I'll be trying to make some of the NJGA picnics this summer. Sounds like a lot of fun.

TNLN

If these 2 people live together, and yet never met before Apri1 8th, I'll buy BOTH of them a steak dinner.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

SR and dboggny.

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

Ya think so Danny? You really think that Dr Who and themagician only know eachother from a chance meeting at a cache, even after Jeremy says both cachers logged their finds from the same computer?

These are serious accusations. It really isn't my place to say, since I'm from Pennsylvania, but don't you think that your official state geocaching organization ought to be involved in investigating this matter?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Just to be fair, I've heard from themagician about this. I guess the subject didn't interest him until Jeremy emailed him.

He claims it must be one of his kids that did it, not him.

When I asked him about the logs from Dr Who that mention meeting him, and the logs from Dr Who tha predate the cache by almost a year, his reply was "I really don't look at when people find my caches, I just readem to see if they actually found it or if they had troubles. if they

can't find em I send emails to try and help them. "

Since he reads all his logs to see if there are problems, I don't know why he wouldn't question a log by someone that claims to have met him. I mean, if you didn't even know your son geocached, and then you happened to meet him at a cache, you would think that would be something you noticed

in reality mopar, i really dont care!

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

]

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Amost forgot http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48723 cache.

quote:

TNLN

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

SR and dboggny.

SR and dboggny.

icon_rolleyes.gif ummmm if memory serves me right. When we all meet at the BK, I spoke to themagician and his lady friend... who ever she was and they were telling me that they were looking to retire in the state of Florida. They were telling me they had suck a good time and all i didnt hear anything about kids....??? I'm sorry but I dont think I buy it!! And if it isn't him... why hasn't he jumped in this thread and say anything... he just emails people to try and get his cover up out in the forums... i'm sorry but thats pathetic!! Just my two cents worth!!

" The Sun shines glorious light on to her fellow geocachers as does her MIDDLE finger! "

I just don't get it. Why?? He's emailed my telling me he gets all kinds of hate mail over the whole NJGA thing.

I really don't think that Geocaching.com should be recognizing the NJGA in its current form as representative of the cachers in NJ.

icon_eek.gif I think he's backing out on his idea of the NJGA now... cause he says he's getting hate email and all this thread stuff in the forums. No offense but if you were more into it, as he says he is. All he did at the BK meeting was pass around this piece of paper with a place to write your name and pick which would sound better.. NJGA or NJGS... i'm sorry but i was excpecting awhole lot more than what we got. He didnt even show up to his own cache event on time it was like a good 45 minutes after every one was there, he comes strolling in like he owns the place.I think he didnt have his sh** straight from the get go.. and now this obnoxious Dr. Who crap. I'm sorry but themagician's train is coming to a slow stop and it might crash head on at this event. That is if he ever shows up... i'm sure he's gonna have alot of questions to answer!! I know i have a bunch!! As he is the President, V.P., ect. he should answer smoe questions... and with him having this NJGA site... WE HAVENT EVEN HAD A DECENT MEETING!! Whatever!! thats all i have to say... if he cant run something right some one needs to stand in for him.. or we ditch this idea and go with one more useful to the cachers in the NJ state!! Just my two cents again!! Peace Out!! V

" The Sun shines glorious light on to her fellow geocachers as does her MIDDLE finger! "

Looks like the not so good Doctor is down to 80 finds now.

Just want to thank all the other cachers who have taken the time to check their caches and delete the online logs from someone who never actually visited the cache.

I've been following this thread, and I still can't believe somebody would just get into this hobby to showoff the numbers. I thought the hole idea here was to enjoy the hunt, if this guy or gal likes to create false logs to infuse his ego...hey! it's his loss, not mine. He doesn't know what he's missing.

An interesting twist to avoid this kind of stuff in the future, would be to have everyone at their own caches some kind of token or card for everyone who visits with the information about the cache.

This way people would start to collect those as proofs of finds, instead of counting Logs on the internet.

So if they like to show of their Geocaching skills, they would only need to bring their "proofs".

Just my two cents. icon_smile.gif

ZeeWire

quote:
if this guy or gal likes to create false logs to infuse his ego...hey! it's his loss, not mine. He doesn't know what he's missing.

An interesting twist to avoid this kind of stuff in the future, would be to have everyone at their own caches some kind of token or card for everyone who visits with the information about the cache.

Actually, it's more than "his loss". False finds could cause others to waste their time searching for a cache that isn't there and may lead the owner into thinking his cache is fine, when it may be missing, or have other problems.

The token idea is a nice one (it's kind of like letterboxing), but the cache logs serve the purpose quite well. If there is some dispute about the validity of a find, all you have to do is check the cache log for an entry.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the "heads up" on this. We have been pretty careful about watching for the required information to verify logs on our virtuals. But we also turn around the high volume of email pretty quickly. So records are gone for any responses "Dr Who" may have made on our two he logged in Washington, D.C.

I usually send a thank you note to cachers for the visit, and let them know if they get the right answer. And, I normally delete ones that don't give the correct answer within a week or two. It doesn't seem possible that he could have snuck two "finds" by me, but I've not retained any "proof" that he found them either. With the number of virtuals in the DC metro area now hugely expanded over what it was two years ago, big numbers of "finds" are increasingly possible in a short time here. He apparently dedicated two days to caching here. I hate cheaters too but have basically given up on anything meaningful in the numbers.

Keep up the good work. I've enjoyed your interventions in the forums, as well as your "Rods n Rides" website.

Gary (of the Garmen & Women Group)

Dr Who is at it again.

A week or so ago, I deleted his finds on my Washington D.C. caches. I checked at that time and he was down to 68 total finds. Today he's got 70 finds. Dr Who is still logging caches.

It also really chaps me that Dr Who is ranked 10th in DC.

If the magician was really serious about Dr Who, he would delete his finds from his own caches at the very least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

If they back in action , they must be post dating their finds. When one loks at the Dr's profile , the last find was back on April 17th (4 days prior to this thread getting started).

odd.

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

If they back in action , they must be post dating their finds. When one loks at the Dr's profile , the last find was back on April 17th (4 days prior to this thread getting started).

Dr. Who has not logged on since 20 April. How could he have added logs?

FWIW, this is my first post logged from a wireless connection on my PDA. Pretty cool.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

odd.

Yea, I don't think he has added any. His profile shows:

quote:

Profile for Dr Who

Member since February, 2003

Email this user

Caches Found/Hidden: 70/0 Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 0/0 Benchmarks Found: 0

Looks like he hasn't logged into this account since I posted the 1st msg.

I too find it odd that themagician claims that at the BEST its not him, but a prank played by his kids, yet 70 logs still remain. I also find it odd that while themagician proclaims in private he has no knowledge of Dr Who, and he knows this thread exists, AND has been contacted by Jeremy about it, he still won't defend himself here. Since he won't maybe I should post his emails to me so others can decide for themselves?

I too am a bit tweaked about the stats. I am far from a stats whore, but every time I look, seeing that fake account sitting in the top 10 in several places really irks me. I've emailed Dan at insidecorner about it, but no response. Maybe someone else can try? The major flaw is Dan's site retains the find count even if they are later deleted, like in Dr Who's case

Well to make all you people happy I have removed all the logs. Originally we started doing Magician Logs to anoy him! Then we were having so much fun we kept going.

Now it seems a few of you NUTS have managed to get my fathers home address. He talked to a cop neighbor who said you people were getting excessive with what you were doing . So he was told to file a police report. How unstable are you people when you start looking for home addresses?

AND is see there is a copycat well be assured its not me. If your reading this, they will hunt you down like a dog!!!

For you normal people that got sucked in, sorry. For you NUTS I feel sorry for you!

quote:
Now it seems a few of you NUTS have managed to get my fathers home address. He talked to a cop neighbor who said you people were getting excessive with what you were doing . So he was told to file a police report. How unstable are you people when you start looking for home addresses?

IF this is true I don't know who is more pathetic, the person hunting down home addresses or someone entering fake log entries.

At some point this must be laid to rest.

Dr Who admitted his wrongs

quote:
Well to make all you people happy I have removed all the logs. Originally we started doing Magician Logs to anoy him! Then we were having so much fun we kept going

I hope the geocaching community would not go so far as to harass someone over fake logs as upsetting as it may be.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

At some point this must be laid to rest.

quote:
Well to make all you people happy I have removed all the logs. Originally we started doing Magician Logs to anoy him! Then we were having so much fun we kept going

I hope the geocaching community would not go so far as to harass someone over fake logs as upsetting as it may be.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

Hydee is right. If we believe this story or not, whatever.

I must add I don't think anyone has stalked or harrassed anyone at home. The reference to finding out his home address is simply to use the publicly listed information on the domain name that Dr Who used for email, and was Owned by themagician. It was to me a key point in proving who Dr Who was, and was not illegally obtained or used to harrass anyone.

What bothers me even more about this is that A: now everyone looks at every log with suspicion, and B: what I saw as a not so subtle reference that this will continue in our area.

Enough already, M'kay?

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

Actually, I do not think he did. He deleted his finds . . . that after over 50% of them were removed once the scam was found out. Most of the remaining were his own caches and virtuals that people had difficulty remembering whether proof was offered or not.

For me, I have a difficult time believing that anyone sought a home address and harrassed anyone. The only word we have is one of someone who has been less than honest in other matters. Who was named in that police report?

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Ok Folks,

This is pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the guy who thinks he's fooling anyone.

Can we please have this thread locked so it can fall away?

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================