"Caches along a route" error...

Team GeoBesse

I am going on a 1500km bicycle tour in a few weeks. Of course, I want to find caches along the route. Out of time constraints, I can't afford spending hours at a cache, or go for one several km out of the actual route. So I want to upload a GPX file, and have all traditionals no more than 0.1km off the route...

I have planned the route on www.gpsies.com, and downloaded them as an 500-waypoint GPX file. When I upload this route however, it is reduced to only 32 waypoints (on 60km). When I increase the search range to cover my actual route, I get more than 1000 caches, because the route leads through some large cities.

Why are my GPS files (I also tried KML) reduced to just a few data points? I have tried it with several routes, also with several programs (bikemap.net, gpsies.com, etc).

I know of the GSAK macro. It works well, but takes ages to complete. And since I would have to run it several times (instead of downloading a PQ which contains also new caches) I would rather use the 'Upload a route and transform it into a PQ' option :-) Additionally, because I won't be in my own country, expensive internet/cell phone roaming costs will occur...

Does anyone knows why my routes are severely reduced?

[...]

I know of the GSAK macro. It works well, but takes ages to complete.[...]

That depends on how your load seettings are set. Do NOT use any confirming after load.

Actually this macro needs an average of some minutes to run.

The advantage of the macro versus the PQ is: You may edit the route and delete not wanted rectangles (within cities for example)

Hans

On Gpsies.com: Save your created route as a track. Ie: "GPX Track" is want you want to download and what works on Groundspeak.

Hans

I tried it this time with this route: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wohlxdsawrgsucod. In the export options, you can reduce the GPX to (in this case) 500 waypoints. I tried both visible formats: 'GPX Track' and 'GPX Route'. Neither did work. The route was reduced to 32 points in both cases...

[...]

I know of the GSAK macro. It works well, but takes ages to complete.[...]

That depends on how your load seettings are set. Do NOT use any confirming after load.

Actually this macro needs an average of some minutes to run.

The advantage of the macro versus the PQ is: You may edit the route and delete not wanted rectangles (within cities for example)

Hans

I know GSAK rather well, using it since 1300 days or so :-)

I want to have almost only the caches next or on the route I ride. Which gives me (for another part of the bikeroute) more than 3000 boxes when I choose 0.1 Mile... Only that way I can use the 'find closest cache' on my Oregon. :-)

On Gpsies.com: Save your created route as a track. Ie: "GPX Track" is want you want to download and what works on Groundspeak.

Hans

I tried it this time with this route: http://www.gpsies.co...hlxdsawrgsucod. In the export options, you can reduce the GPX to (in this case) 500 waypoints. I tried both visible formats: 'GPX Track' and 'GPX Route'. Neither did work. The route was reduced to 32 points in both cases...

The link didn't work.

Hans

Tip:

1. Verwende im GSAK-Makro einen größeren Korridor (> weniger Boxes).

2. Importiere das Track-Gpx in einen GSAK-Filter und reduziere dort den Routenkorridor auf 0.1 km.

Alternative:

0. Verwende einfach mit einem passen Zoom-Level dein Oregon-Display als Live-Filter.

Hans