Photos Orientation

Torgut

Recently the pictures I took with my Oregon 550 in portrait orientation started to show up in landscape orientation after they are uploaded to Waymarking. Only thing it changed in my end was the OS (from XP to 8). In Windows viewer and anywhere they always show correctly. It's a bit annoying to open these pics with an editor just to save them there. If I do this then they upload OK. Any idea why all this is happening?

This is exactly the problem I have with my iPad photography and Waymarking. After more than three years of trying, the only fix is an edit (even the smallest quickest edit) of the photograph before it goes to Waymarking.

Edited by elyob

The problem is caused by the orientation setting in the the photos exif data. The older operation system and older browsers did not use this setting (and Waymarking does not use it) and newer operating systems and browsers do use this information. Just rotating the photo so it appears correctly in Waymarking may not completely fix the problem if someone clicks to see the photo in jpg format outside of the Waymarking frame as it may show incorrectly rotated even it appears correctly in Waymarking frames. (depends on program is used to rotate the photo) The easiest way to fix the problem is to remove the orientation setting on portrait images before rotating them. I use Lightroom to do this but a program is available on web called ExifCleaner that does the job easily.

BruceS, there is something wrong with that possible cause: as mentioned I didn't change the device, therefore the EXIF creation it's being done exactly as before, when uploaded pictures would show correctly in Waymarking. I assume EXIF is not automatically edited by the Windows Viewer when one opens the file for viewing.

BruceS, there is something wrong with that possible cause: as mentioned I didn't change the device, therefore the EXIF creation it's being done exactly as before, when uploaded pictures would show correctly in Waymarking. I assume EXIF is not automatically edited by the Windows Viewer when one opens the file for viewing.

Your device did not change but you indicated you changed your OS from XP to Win10. The orientation information has always been there but was ignored by your computer, now it is no longer ignored.

No Bruce, I am araid you are not following me... the only place where things changed was in Waymarking.com after I upload the pictures. In my computer things are the same regarding how pics are visualized.

P.S. - I didn't mention any Win 10 OS :-)

Edited by Torgut