Cool geocaching themes?

Incan Gold, Mayan Silver, Nefertiti's Pyramid, Bigfoot, Bigfoot's Trail or other Cryptids all come to mind.

But caches based on Galaxy Quest, UFO's (flying saucers, alien encounters, or caches that Aura Raines might visit), ghost hunting, tall tales, rock songs, and darts (can there ever be enough caches about Phil Taylor?) also will get my attention. Find something you like and create a story.

Edited by geodarts

I find it cool when people incorporate a theme from their own interests. If you're into bluegrass music or knitting or jazz dancing or horse racing or Canadian literature, whatever, make it about that. Show some personality.

I agree.. and adding to that, I love caches which work the theme into the location and containers. It doesn't matter if the theme chosen is one that personally appeals to me or not, as long as the CO likes it and it shows.

I have been inspired to read books I had not heard of and watch three seasons of a Danish TV series because of enjoying a cache so much based on the theme.

Sorry to be an old kill joy, look for a bit of history, gold mining, first whatever, old brewery with stories, a train disaster, the opening of a shopping chain, event in history that changed the world like zippers, biggest fish caught or even an unusual tree.

Cool is not necessarily the theme, it is better what you want to show the rest of the world in your selection of cache theme.

I find it cool when people incorporate a theme from their own interests. If you're into bluegrass music or knitting or jazz dancing or horse racing or Canadian literature, whatever, make it about that. Show some personality.

I really like the idea of incorporating your own interests into the cache! I think i might have an idea for my cache!! I'll keep this forum posted for others who need some inspiration!

I really like the idea of incorporating your own interests into the cache! I think i might have an idea for my cache!! I'll keep this forum posted for others who need some inspiration!

When looking at caches based on a theme I like to see the theme incorporated into as many aspects of the cache as possible. If you can use a location, a style of hide or type of container, the cache name and description all following a common theme it's almost certainly going to get a favorite point. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "themed" cache series that have nothing in common other than the name. I've even seen a cache series based on Duct tape and it just comes across as an excuse to put out a lot of caches that serve no other purpose than to increase find counts.

When looking at caches based on a theme I like to see the theme incorporated into as many aspects of the cache as possible. If you can use a location, a style of hide or type of container, the cache name and description all following a common theme it's almost certainly going to get a favorite point. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "themed" cache series that have nothing in common other than the name. I've even seen a cache series based on Duct tape and it just comes across as an excuse to put out a lot of caches that serve no other purpose than to increase find counts.

Exactly.

I recently found one that was part of a series based on types of sandwiches. I was hoping it would at least bring me to a location near an establishment that served a tasty version of this particular sandwich.

It was an LPC next to an auto parts store. <_<

Edited by J Grouchy
I've even seen a cache series based on Duct tape and...
My first thought was a series of caches, each covered with a different color/pattern of duct tape. Although it might be hard to find a place to hide a container covered with pink Hello Kitty® duct tape...

Hm...my interest is geocaching. All my caches are based on this, more or less. :D

Hm...my interest is geocaching. All my caches are based on this, more or less. :D

Nothing wrong with a good geocaching-based geocache. :-)

I always try and make all the caches I own about a theme because those are the ones I enjoy most, with quirky names/plays on words. Not to say normal caches aren't good but like when you're watching a film and you suddenly get why the film title makes sense... there is something cool about having the same with a GC.

Doesn't have to be a series either. My last one was "Madame Butterfly", after the novel (cache attached to a butterfly". One before that was Wizard of Oz style "Somewhere under the rainbow". Next one to be published is a multicache  Red Arrows themed one, because the Byways signs here use red arrows. It doesn't have to be a huge link, a tenuous link is absolutely fine :)