Beginner having problems

Hello All,

We are new to geocaching and are experiencing problems utilizing the android app. On our first trip out things started well, but the closer we got to the coordinates it kept sending us in different directions. I'm not sure if it is a problemm with the app or GPS signal issues with the phone. Has anybody else experienced this and do you have any suggestions? Thank you for any info you can provide. I'm using a Galaxy S5 on Verizon.

Usually the GPS works better when we are moving than when we stop, so when you get close enough to the hideout, leave the smartphone aside and search considering the location, hints, etc.

+1

pinoyboy312, you don't say how close you experienced this happening.

If you're getting near, around 20' or so, put the phone away and start looking.

Geosenses kick in after finding a few, but common sense is with you.

A pile of sticks, knot/hole in tree, the only pole for 50', that kinda thing, if the hint doesn't pretty-much give it away for you.

Thank you for the help. As far as when it happens, the distance varies. Sometimes within 10 feet, other times 30 or 40. We'll just keep trying until we get the hang of it.

Civilian GPS at it's best is only meant to be accurate to around 10'.

The CO would like to think that when the cache was hidden, it was hopefully a "best" day.

Odds are one of you isn't/didn't have that "best day", and 20-30' isn't unreasonable. :)

Good luck and have fun.

Hello All,

We are new to geocaching and are experiencing problems utilizing the android app. On our first trip out things started well, but the closer we got to the coordinates it kept sending us in different directions. I'm not sure if it is a problemm with the app or GPS signal issues with the phone. Has anybody else experienced this and do you have any suggestions? Thank you for any info you can provide. I'm using a Galaxy S5 on Verizon.

Same issue... the kids and I did the drunken bee dance at our first cache for about 15 minutes. We eventually just started searching but had no luck. 3 caches and one day later, we had our first find! Really exciting. We've decided that once its down to 40 ft, we'll just start looking. Even the easy ones are difficult for us now. Hopefully it gets easier. lol They're 10 & 6

When navigating to a cache, the app should show a message when you get within about 30ft or so, suggesting you start looking around instead of continuing to follow the app's GPS.

I believe we put that in specifically to help new geocachers avoid the "Drunken Bee Dance" wink.gif

I did the Drunken Bee Dance today. First time looking for a cache. Using my phone (Motorola Droid Turbo 2). The app would tell me 220' but I noticed in gray colored numbers it would display +/- 185'....or it might tell me 165' and again in gray numbers +/- 125'. Whats going on there. I was for sure a Drunken Bee...never found the "Easy" Cache.

When navigating to a cache, the app should show a message when you get within about 30ft or so, suggesting you start looking around instead of continuing to follow the app's GPS.

I believe we put that in specifically to help new geocachers avoid the "Drunken Bee Dance" wink.gif

I did the Drunken Bee Dance today. First time looking for a cache. Using my phone (Motorola Droid Turbo 2). The app would tell me 220' but I noticed in gray colored numbers it would display +/- 185'....or it might tell me 165' and again in gray numbers +/- 125'. Whats going on there. I was for sure a Drunken Bee...never found the "Easy" Cache.

You just need to hold off for a minute and let your caching machine get it's bearings. Should only take a minute or two, use that time to take the opportunity to get your bearings and start narrowing down possible hiding spots.

Sometimes I have found just stopping and if you safely can putting the phone on a nice flat surface and leaving it be for a Min or two.. sometimes that works..

Other times it seems to be weather related. grin. on some days it can be down to 3'! and i almost stand on the Cache. Other days its more like 30' and it take a bit more "Eye" to find what your looking for.

I am only 115 or so caches in.. but you do develop and eye for what looks odd.. Oh and the No. 1 rule is..

"If I was hiding a cache here... where would I Put it?! That usually works MUCH better than the GPS. :P

Also.. do a search of the types of containers used in geocaching... you might find you just did not realise that the stone you saw was actually a Cache!

Happy hunting!