2003 Northeast Gung-Ho geocacher nominees

The Artful Dodger

I have one for August. "Added Value" found my Lame Roadisde Cache #2 without a hint from me.

Every previous finder (with the exception of BassoonPilot) required some assistance, or multiple trips to bag this one. Stayfloopy, Cachedog, Skully & Mulder, Harrald...the best and the brightest of NJ's geocaching community all needed a hint. Yer talking over 4,000 finds among them!

OK, maybe AV's accomplishment doesn't quite fit the Gung Ho criteria, but I nominate him anyway. Being sharp should count for something! Besides, there isn't an August nominee yet.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 09, 2003 at 04:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

<<SNIP>>

Look under the cushions of the couch.

<<SNIP>>

Try thinking outside of the couch. icon_wink.gif

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

The fool who knows he is a fool is for that reason very wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the greatest fool of all.

Shakyamuni

[This message was edited by Harrald on August 09, 2003 at 06:35 AM.]

I hate to withdraw my nomination of Added Value, but RJFerret's log at Ironrott's cache is a winner. Since Added Value took the same route to Ironrott as RJFerret, maybe they can be co-winners.

Oh my gosh, had reconned the nearby road (within about 500') previously when visiting a friend in Oakland--he's moving so was here today for his going away party.

So, after hitting a couple of Brian's caches, I figured this one would be a quicky. WAS I WRONG!

As everyone who's done it knows, there's no direct access. The indirect access is round-about and brutal. Especially with all the vegetation grown up!

I crossed the hillside, then as it got steeper, I realized it would be foolhardy to proceed alone (with nobody knowing I was there). Instead of bushwacking back, I decide to climb up. As I do, I realize I'd never be able to climb back down that way (down is harder and you can't see due to all the vegetation). As I push and climb through the prickers, I don't want to come back that way anyway!

I finally get topside, then bushwack to the cache, still nearly the same distance away! I find it readily once I was there (due to a remarkably useful hint and a loose pen on the ground nearby). The coords actually had me near a few other landmarks mentioned in the hint initially...

Anyway, now, how to get back, let's see if the other side is shorter to climb down--found the yellow trail and realized it stayed up on the ridge. OK, I was due at the party after 1:00, I started this cache at 1:00, it's now probably over an hour later. Time to cut my losses and return the way I came, followed the trail to avoid bushwacking, figuring I'd cut down to where my first path U-turned. The problem was the yellow trail to the red trail angled AWAY from my "U". Picked a pricker-free spot to start bushwacking, then the rain started.

I only got about a quarter of the way before having to turn back due to terrain and thick vegetation and realizing I was short of my target. A valley in the hillside meant I had to come all the way back to the trail to go out on the other side. After a fashion, that worked! Of course, I'm still a couple tenths of a mile from my car...

Finally, as I approach the road, over the Interstate noise I think I hear a car, then I see a red lightbar! Oh no! I duck down as I'm not in the mood or energized for explaining anything, I'm tired, exhausted, drenched, pricker-scratched, etc... The car leaves probably after running my plate and I happily disembark readily.

Yee hah! That was probably the most brutal I've done (the Ward Pound Ridge escapade now ranks 2nd). I do NOT recommend going this way, which totalled 2.38 miles, took 2 hours, and was very rough terrain this time of year.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

The definition according to Webster:

One entry found for gung ho.

Main Entry: gung ho

Pronunciation: 'g&[ng]-'hO

Function: adjective

Etymology: Gung ho!, motto (interpreted as meaning "work together") adopted by certain U.S. marines, from Chinese (Beijing) gOnghé, short for ZhOngguó GOngyè Hézuò Shè Chinese Industrial Cooperative Society

Date: 1942

: extremely or overly zealous or enthusiastic

icon_biggrin.gifWith this definition I would like to nominate Lavarock, from SOUTH JERSEY. He sould break 100 today or tomorrow and he has only been registered since June 1, 2003!!! He also has @ least 11 hides and thinks out of the box with his hides, very creative, dude!!icon_eek.gif

moose

quote:
I wonder if it has something to do with the name their parents gave them... 'MIKE' . We have one in WV that sometimes goes above and beyond when cache hunting and STILL lives to tell about it. Ya gotta luv 'em!!

As the mother who named the WV Mike, I must take part of the blame. His name, of course, is actually Michael. When he was born, I told his father that I wanted to call him Mike. He said, "You named him Michael, we'll call him Michael." He was Michael all through grade school, junior high and into high school. He was also kind of bland. Something happened when he started being called Mike, though. Fortunately, as Mother of this transformation, I didn't find out about it until after the fact. The first cache he hid, Oregonia Bridge Quick Cache, turned out to be where he did some rappelling when he was younger. I'm glad I didn't know about it at the time.

The experience Eli is referring to could have been a nomination to this thread when he did Rapid-Cache. He might win the 2002 Gung-Ho award. This is one award I hope he doesn't try for in 2003 icon_eek.gif !!!