Geo Jamboree II CT-NY-NJ

CT A-Team

Well since NJ and NY are not in New England (and CT is marginally), I just thought I'd post the entire note here:

The time has come to start preparations for GEO JAMBOREE II. Tentative dates are June 12-13, 2004 and the location, in Westchester County near the location of last year's event, will be announced when the permits have been granted.

Besides making this event bigger and better than ever, I am truly trying to find a way to omit the entrance fee you had to pay last year. It is bad enough to have to pay a fee to get into the park, I don't want to add to that. But I need your help. I have been traveling around the northeast going to other geocaching events sharing and getting new ideas to improve this event for you. And I have learned a lot - new games - guest speakers - public relations - management methods - all quaranteed to make the term Geo Jamboree a classic name in geocaching events. But I cannot do it alone. I need people to head several committees and some people, who have the means, to help with some financial backing. Last year's event cost over $600 to pull off. Some of that was returned by fees and sale of some goods, and a large donation by BobSr, along with a few others, helped leave a deficit of only $280. Fortunately we have some materials left over that help reduce next year's expences.

I need some teams to head up the following committees.

Cache Committee:

Coordinate the location of caches to be placed in the park so they do not overlap.

Training Committee:

Set up a basic training course, with some visual aids, to teach new GPS users, and the Park Rangers, about our sport and how to use a GPS. Get teams to take these newbies out with them on their hunts to break them in. Also set up a "lost hiker" event for the Park Rangers. Scenario - a hiker has called on a cell phone and indicated he has fallen and broken his leg. He gives only his coordinates before passing out. They must find him.

Food Committee:

Coordinate food contributions and grills, paper and plastic ware, table cloths, ice, trash bags, etc.

Camping Committee:

Take reservations for campsites which we will reserve for the event. Coordinate number of people in sites and equipment needs.

Game Committee:

Set up and run the games and events. I have a lot of info on that so most of your work has been done for you. I just need you to run them. (New ideas always welcome)

If you are interested in any of these committees, or have any helpful suggestions or offers of financial help, please post a note here or contact me at geojamboree@aol.com

With all I have learned, and knowing the alacrity and determination of geocachers, I am excited about this event and am looking forward to hearing from you.

Walt

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Thanks, Briansnat for forwarding the message. Yes, your geography is correct. I was just trying to save space. Hmmm, time really. It gets a little cunfusing replying to both pages so I will do so by e-mail when I see a posting. Please remember to give you team name. And thanks for the early responces. It looks like we are off to a great start.

Walt geojamboree@aol.com

Walt