problem bringing up local geocaches

Luckless

I live in Maryland and am getting Swedish caches when I type in my zip code. I can type in a nearby city and it still works.

Also, I kinda want to go to Sweden now.

I'm getting a list of caches in France when I enter my zipcode (in New York) too. I'll be in France next month but not that part of the country.

If you enter the zipcode for Mingo, Kansas it will show one cache in the Ukraine.

I know that I've tried my zipcode before and it worked so I wonder if GS has changed their geocoding service provider again.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Postal/zip codes ar not unique globally. 10007 for example is in NY/USA or Troyes/France or Berlin/Germany or...

Since postal/zip codes are ambiguous, perhaps the search form should auto suggest candidates when only a zipcode is entered as it does with city names. If I enter Rome into the search box, it shows a select list with "Rome, Lazio", "Rome, New York", "Rome, Pennsylvania"...so that I can select which "Rome" I want.

If I enter my zipcode, followed by "United States" it returns a list of caches in my area. If I only enter my zipcode it shows caches in France. If I enter my zipcode followed by France I get a list of caches from Argentina. huh.gif

Postal/zip codes ar not unique globally. 10007 for example is in NY/USA or Troyes/France or Berlin/Germany or...

Since postal/zip codes are ambiguous, perhaps the search form should auto suggest candidates when only a zipcode is entered as it does with city names. If I enter Rome into the search box, it shows a select list with "Rome, Lazio", "Rome, New York", "Rome, Pennsylvania"...so that I can select which "Rome" I want.

If I enter my zipcode, followed by "United States" it returns a list of caches in my area. If I only enter my zipcode it shows caches in France. If I enter my zipcode followed by France I get a list of caches from Argentina. huh.gif

I typed in United States after my zip code and it worked- I'm back in New York- Thanks.

I don't have problems with the new search. I still haven't figured it out. I can never get what I want so I use the old one. They better not get rid of it
I use the old one too and I still end up in France.
It has nothing to do with old search vs new search. If both searches use the same geolocation service (which Groundspeak changes from time to time), then they'll both exhibit this behavior.