Geocaching in France - help needed please

Funk to Funky

Hi,

I will be doing some walking (and therefore geocaching of course) in Corsica next month and wondered what I need to do to my GPSr settings before I go. At the moment it is set as hddd° mm.mmm' using WGS 84. Do I need to change this? To UTM possibly if I want to relate it to the map?

Any help appreciated. :)

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by Funk to Funky

I will be doing some walking (and therefore geocaching of course) in Corsica next month and wondered what I need to do to my GPSr settings before I go. At the moment it is set as hddd° mm.mmm' using WGS 84. Do I need to change this? To UTM possibly if I want to relate it to the map?

You don't have to do anything. That's why they call it GLOBAL positioning You might want a good map on your GPS and OSM maps are the way to go as they are free. You can download from here.

... et je pensais toujours que parmi les géocacheurs on se tutoie :)

Back to the question, the settings mainly influence the way the data is displayed and entered, so it should be in the form you enter coordinates in (manually or by GPX file) - which is the same geocaching.com uses all over the world.

Ok, everywhere except for North Corea (no caches there...).

Some mystery caches deliver coordinates in other forms, for those it can be handy to switch, but not for the 'normal geocaching business'.

If you need the current correct reading of the time, you might have to change the timezone setting though, since the satellite data sends UTC, Corse has CET (UTC+1, +2 with DST until October)

Hi,

Any help appreciated. :)

Cheers

Stuart

I've geocached in 21 different countries and have never had to change coordinate formats. As on4bam suggested,*IF* you have a Garmin GPS you can download mapsets for anyplace in the world that you can use while traveling.