Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Manville Possum

New Category Proposal ~ Drive-By Waymarking

35 posts in this topic

I have a proposal for a new category of Drive-By Waymarking to use in conjunction of google street view and similar online mapping sources.

This topic is open to discuss.

Only if we can drive-by shoot the person doing drive-by Waymarking ....

Only if we can drive-by shoot the person doing drive-by Waymarking ....

Highway memorials may be acceptable. One photo taken by google street view, the other replicated from driving by and taking a photo.

There will also be a proxcimity limit to the category.

This idea presented itself as it is already a practice by some Waymarkers and I thought that it may be a interesting category.

Waymarkers rather than waymarks would be posted in the new category and we could track their co-ordinates like in the U-haul category.

I know this was proposed in jest but lets keep the thread respectful and peaceful.

I know this was proposed in jest but lets keep the thread respectful and peaceful.

Well, no it was actually not posted in jest or as a joke. This is something that was discussed and thought out before I posted it.

It's not a joke. One idea is to drive-by waymark already listed waymarks that must include the WM number and two pictures. One from google street view and the other taken by the drive-by waymarker.

This would be against the law in many jurisdictions (using a handheld device while driving).

This would be against the law in many jurisdictions (using a handheld device while driving).

So is Waymarking in cemeterys in some states, but no one seems to care.

Thanks for the advice, but using a go pro on a dash could capture images just as well and be within lawful guidelines. :anibad:

Another idea would be a designated driver and a waymarker with a camera. :P

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I think I discovered your secret plan. :ph34r:

You want to post the "worst Peer Review result ever" to the Superlatives category, don't you? :laughing:

You want to post the "worst Peer Review result ever" to the Superlatives category, don't you? :laughing:

No, it's just an idea for a Waymarking category. Drive-by waymarks already exist and are published in several categories, so this idea is really nothing new.

I have rejected drive-by waymarks in the past in the Virginia Historical Markers category, but some highway markers are difficult to photograph. Last week I parked and walked to one. With Drive-By Waymarking a visitor could post the WM number, a google street view photo, and the photo they took while driving by and add to the category.

I'm sure that most of us here has taken a photo of a waymark from a vehicle and logged it as a visit or even submitted it. Just last week I pulled over and took a picture of a North Carolina Historical marker that I visited. So nothing new here, just want to create a category with a twist to what we are already accepting. :)

OK. I thought that this was a jest, thus my try at black humor.

Not sure I get it yet, though. I don't recall if I've ever marked a visit on a waymark just by shooting a photo out the window, but I guess I could see it happening.

I do admit that there were a few waymarks where I was able to pull in and get coordinates and take all of the required photos from the car; which I did either because I was too tired from a zillion other stops, or because it was hot as you-know-what out there. I think I did a couple of country churches that way. You cannot tell it from the photos, because they could have been taken from inside or outside the car -- who cares! And I was able to park right at the door to get the coordinates. Mission accomplished.

Is that what you mean?

And are you thinking of starting a category for things that you can drive-by visit? Or drive by post? Or both? Or ... ? And are they of things that can only be done that way? Or would they simply be cross-posted if they can also be visited the usual way?

Personally, I would not be in favor of any Waymarking category that specifically encourages the use of Google Street View images in any form.

We know now that there have been some instances of Google image Waymarks (Waymarks slipped by category reviewers that make use of Google Street view images rather than having been captured by the person submitting the Waymark while at the actual location). But it seems that by and large (and this matches my own opinion) this isn't considered to be appropriate or acceptable for this hobby.

To create a category that actually incorporates Google Street View images would seem to me to encourage the use of such images in any submitted Waymark, regardless of category.

OK. I thought that this was a jest, thus my try at black humor.

Not sure I get it yet, though. I don't recall if I've ever marked a visit on a waymark just by shooting a photo out the window, but I guess I could see it happening.

I do admit that there were a few waymarks where I was able to pull in and get coordinates and take all of the required photos from the car; which I did either because I was too tired from a zillion other stops, or because it was hot as you-know-what out there. I think I did a couple of country churches that way. You cannot tell it from the photos, because they could have been taken from inside or outside the car -- who cares! And I was able to park right at the door to get the coordinates. Mission accomplished.

Is that what you mean?

And are you thinking of starting a category for things that you can drive-by visit? Or drive by post? Or both? Or ... ? And are they of things that can only be done that way? Or would they simply be cross-posted if they can also be visited the usual way?

Yes, waymarks that can be done from a vehicle. I have some example photos that I am working on, but recently I visited WMF365 which is also a Benchmark number FW1379 and I used the same photo for both visits. I also have a very similar photo that I replicated on google street view.

My idea for a category is to take photos of existing waymarks from a vehicle and use that WM number along with the photo that you have taken and also submit a closely replicated photo from google street view. The google street view photo should clearly show that it is in fact a screen shot.

Here is an example of a Waymark/Benchmark that I visited recently. I took a picture as I drove by and replicated it on google street view.

This is my idea of Drive-By Waymarking. One orginal photo, one replicated of an existing waymark or benchmark.

20458068370_e74614bb30_k.jpg

20098984974_03c31c4561_k.jpg

For me photography is a very important aspect of Waymarking. I try my best for every single Waymark I create. If I waymark a church I try everything to get also pictures from inside. I have absolutely no interest in drive-by pictures. Furthermore it's forbidden to load up 'Google Street View'/'Google Earth' images.

Here is the opposite of a drive-by picture:

61d7686183e1ea839a6c4f50755f7bdb.jpg

Regards,

-lumbricus

For me photography is a very important aspect of Waymarking. I try my best for every single Waymark I create. If I waymark a church I try everything to get also pictures from inside. I have absolutely no interest in drive-by pictures. Furthermore it's forbidden to load up 'Google Street View'/'Google Earth' images.

Here is the opposite of a drive-by picture:

61d7686183e1ea839a6c4f50755f7bdb.jpg

Regards,

-lumbricus

Yes, Andreas -- EXACTLY. I also try to take beautiful photos for my waymarks where I can, or at least take a picture that will convey the sense of adventure of the place and make someone want to stop there too.

Your photo is AMAZING, by the way. Very well done :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Thanks Benchmark Blasterz! I know 'Manville Possum Hunters' takes great pictures, too. So this 'Drive-By Waymarking' category seems to be a joke.

Thanks Benchmark Blasterz! I know 'Manville Possum Hunters' takes great pictures, too. So this 'Drive-By Waymarking' category seems to be a joke.

No, it's not a joke. Also where is it forbidden to upload google earth photos?

It is not allowed: http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html.

So this weird idea is finally dead.

No, not dead at all. It just needs altered. Most of us that review waymarks use Google Earth and complained when Groundspeak removed it form this site. So if you can see a listed waymark from Google Earth and drive by it and take a photo and supply the WM number it will be accepted to the category as a Drive-By Waymark.

And as for my idea being wierd, remember this is Waymarking. :blink:

I just don't understand what this would add to Waymarking. If I'm understanding you correctly, we're supposed to take a blurry photo (face it, most "drive-by" photos will be at least somewhat blurry) of something that someone else has already taken the time to research and Waymark, just so we can duplicate it as a new Waymark? Will any existing Waymark work for this? If so, we'd have a category containing a wide variety of objects with little to no relation or similarity to each other, making the category nearly useless for non-Waymarkers.

I guess what I'm asking is:

Why?

I just don't understand what this would add to Waymarking. If I'm understanding you correctly, we're supposed to take a blurry photo (face it, most "drive-by" photos will be at least somewhat blurry) of something that someone else has already taken the time to research and Waymark, just so we can duplicate it as a new Waymark? Will any existing Waymark work for this? If so, we'd have a category containing a wide variety of objects with little to no relation or similarity to each other, making the category nearly useless for non-Waymarkers.

I guess what I'm asking is:

Why?

No, not a blurry photo. I took several recently from a scooter that turned out quite well.

Why? Because this is Waymarking and this category could be used as a driving tour.

Why? Because this is Waymarking...

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

...and this category could be used as a driving tour.

You could do that with the existing Waymarks. I fail to see how the proposed duplicated Waymarks would be any different.

Why? Because this is Waymarking...

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

...and this category could be used as a driving tour.

You could do that with the existing Waymarks. I fail to see how the proposed duplicated Waymarks would be any different.

Waymarking is about posting new Waymarks and not about visits, but I had so much fun doing Drive-By's on a rented scooter that it gave me ideas of how I could support Waymarking.

I don't think my idea would ever pass peer review from all of the negative comments here in the fourms, so I think Drive-By Waymarking would be a better idea as a concept than a category. :(

Try it is a waymark in Photo Goals. You'll then have a better idea about bigger potential...or not.

Try it is a waymark in Photo Goals. You'll then have a better idea about bigger potential...or not.

Thank you for the suggestion, I forgot all about the Photo Goal Category Game. This is very similar to my idea, a game of sorts played with Waymarks. B)

Waymarking is about posting new Waymarks and not about visits...

Waymarking is different things to different people. You see it as all about posting new Waymarks. I see it as a somewhat even split between posting and visiting. There are likely people who see it as all about visiting. A non-Waymarker could see it as a repository of useful information.

In essence, there is no single, universal definition of the Waymarking "meaning of life". It's about posting, visiting, providing a useful resource, and likely many other things - all in varying proportions depending on who you ask - and all of those aspects need to be taken into account when creating a new category.

Agreed. Many times have I pointed folks to Waymarking pages for purposes of resource, even though I knew they were not interested in marking visits or posting new ones.

Just the other day someone on Facebook had posted a link to an organization that is considering identifying and maintaining Indian Trail Trees. I was able to point that person (not a member of the organization, just someone interested in the idea) a link to the Native American Trail Trees category, so that they could see how prevalent the trees are.

That's just one recent example from this week. I've had many other such experiences in the past couple of years.

Agreed. Many times have I pointed folks to Waymarking pages for purposes of resource, even though I knew they were not interested in marking visits or posting new ones.

Just the other day someone on Facebook had posted a link to an organization that is considering identifying and maintaining Indian Trail Trees. I was able to point that person (not a member of the organization, just someone interested in the idea) a link to the Native American Trail Trees category, so that they could see how prevalent the trees are.

That's just one recent example from this week. I've had many other such experiences in the past couple of years.

I know that I have listed and visited a few Trail Trees myself, but do you actually believe that those are real? :blink:

Seriously BIG LOL from here for that one!!!!! GREAT!!!

"Will make a great addition to Armchair Waymarking."

So I guess you are making a joke out of my idea of Armchair Waymarking?

I just busted out laughing when I read your comment on the peer review. :lol:

Thanks for brightening my day.

Here is an art shot example of classic Drive-By Waymarking.

John Mitchel.jpg

5 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Here is an art shot example of classic Drive-By Waymarking.

John Mitchel.jpg

Nice pink phone...

Keith