Travel Bugs in Event caches

This may have been answered but I don't see any topic like this. If a group of travel bugs are in an event cache from the weekend, does that mean a container has been put out with those travel bugs at the listed coordinates? Fired up for Geocaching was in Arkansas this past weekend and travel bugs are listed there.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5YNMQ_fired-up-for-geocaching-2015?guid=39cdee64-171e-47c6-bd35-9ce5b7079a79

This may have been answered but I don't see any topic like this. If a group of travel bugs are in an event cache from the weekend, does that mean a container has been put out with those travel bugs at the listed coordinates? Fired up for Geocaching was in Arkansas this past weekend and travel bugs are listed there.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5YNMQ_fired-up-for-geocaching-2015?guid=39cdee64-171e-47c6-bd35-9ce5b7079a79

Could be. (But not necessarily at the coordinates)

Or they are cachers own TBs, and they still have them in their possession for others to Discover.

Could be. (But not necessarily at the coordinates)

Or they are cachers own TBs, and they still have them in their possession for others to Discover.

Yes, I've been at events for people to discover the trackables, but this event is over and there are travel bugs listed and some of the travel bugs indicate they have been put in the event cache. For example, on the link, if you click on Bah Bah, she shows up as in the event cache, not in someone's possession.

It just means that people virtually "dropped" those trackables into the event listing.

Ok. On Bah Bah, it first shows up as being taken to the event, then the next entry says "placed in". So, it is still on the last person's possession even though it shows up as being in a cache with this event's name? Shouldn't it show up as in someone's possession?

It just means that people virtually "dropped" those trackables into the event listing.

Ok. On Bah Bah, it first shows up as being taken to the event, then the next entry says "placed in". So, it is still on the last person's possession even though it shows up as being in a cache with this event's name? Shouldn't it show up as in someone's possession?

Another trackable has an entry "I'm dropping it here for it's first journey". It seems confusing if the person still has the trackable. These trackables are also showing under the state's listing of most recently placed trackables.

It was placed into the event. If it was in anyone's possession, it wouldn't show there.

Someone probably has it, hopefully just not logged in yet.

This one was kinda tame.

We've been to some where hoarders drop off a bag full of other people's trackables like they're doing a good deed.

After the event, many turn up missing...

Another trackable has an entry "I'm dropping it here for it's first journey". It seems confusing if the person still has the trackable. These trackables are also showing under the state's listing of most recently placed trackables.

"I'm dropping this trackable here for its first spot. This event will mark the beginning of Geo-Jordan's journey!"

- The TO placed in into the event as it's first destination.

Nothing indicates he still has it in his possession...

Not virtually, but in real time. At my last event cache several TBs were brought and dropped (physically) on the table and grabbed along with an attend log from the event by those who wanted to move them towards their goals.

Edited by Nonsuch30

Not virtually, but in real time. At my last event cache several TBs were brought and dropped (physically) on the table and grabbed along with an attend log from the event by those who wanted to move them towards their goals.

How 'bout both? :)

I'm sure you've been around long enough to see a write note "bug drop", with the trackable listed in inventory long before the event takes place.

Looking at the cache page doesn't tell you if they were actually placed somewhere or brought to the event. Nothing is stopping people from "dropping" trackables without actually dropping them.

Beware the cacher who conflates online inventory with reality.

Looking at the cache page doesn't tell you if they were actually placed somewhere or brought to the event. Nothing is stopping people from "dropping" trackables without actually dropping them.

IMHO I think that most, experienced cachers would use the "Visit" option for a coin or TB at an event if they weren't physically Dropping the TB for another cacher to "grab" and move along. All of the TBs that were dropped at my event were grabbed by other cachers to move them towards their goals. I'm not sure why anyone would use the "Drop" option if they intended to keep the TB in their possesion.

IMHO I think that most, experienced cachers would use the "Visit" option for a coin or TB at an event if they weren't physically Dropping the TB for another cacher to "grab" and move along. All of the TBs that were dropped at my event were grabbed by other cachers to move them towards their goals. I'm not sure why anyone would use the "Drop" option if they intended to keep the TB in their possesion.

IME, people do all sorts of things with trackables for no rhyme or reason. I "dropped" my husband's name tag in a lame archived cache because it was funny to see his reaction to the log. I might "drop" my car in a micro cache. Just because someone "dropped" something in the event doesn't mean it was actually there. If you make the mistake of assuming the virtual inventory is reliable you will be disappointed, eventually.

I've seen people drop trackables in an event cache before the actual event (with their Will Attend log, or with a "bug drop" Note log). This lets people know what trackables will be brought to the event, and (perhaps more importantly) lets whoever retrieves the trackable at the event post a Retrieved log before the original dropper posts his/her Attended log.

I've seen people drop trackables in an event cache before the actual event (with their Will Attend log, or with a "bug drop" Note log). This lets people know what trackables will be brought to the event, and (perhaps more importantly) lets whoever retrieves the trackable at the event post a Retrieved log before the original dropper posts his/her Attended log.

That is common practice around here too. Of course sometimes people forget to drop it in advance, and log the drop at or after the event.

It's common practice in my area as well (Bentonville Arkansas) As an event coordinator I see people drop caches in my events to show people what will be their for pick up. Looking at this list ahead of time helps other see what possible TBs they can help move for with perspective missions. This save a lot of time standing around the TB table looking up TB. One of the things I have experienced is that some inexperienced geocachers take the bugs and not log them. Then the TB remains at the event, even if archived. I had a few happen to me at my last event, and after waiting a month of not being logged I log the TB as "missing" so that then event does not show TBs standing in an archived event. Also this alerts TB owners of the current status and help them to further investigate where the TB may be. Since that point I now require all TBs to be logged properly before taken from an event. I hope that this will save much aggravation in the future to missing TBs

It's common practice in my area as well (Bentonville Arkansas) As an event coordinator I see people drop caches in my events to show people what will be their for pick up. Looking at this list ahead of time helps other see what possible TBs they can help move for with perspective missions. This save a lot of time standing around the TB table looking up TB. One of the things I have experienced is that some inexperienced geocachers take the bugs and not log them. Then the TB remains at the event, even if archived. I had a few happen to me at my last event, and after waiting a month of not being logged I log the TB as "missing" so that then event does not show TBs standing in an archived event. Also this alerts TB owners of the current status and help them to further investigate where the TB may be. Since that point I now require all TBs to be logged properly before taken from an event. I hope that this will save much aggravation in the future to missing TBs

You assume everyone has a phone.

You can't place additional logging requirements.

Folks don't even have to sign your event log.