Why I never bother visiting Garmin forums

I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 8.1 to windows 10. When I tried to connect my Garmin Oregon 650 via USB, Windows threw up an error message complaining that "Device Descriptor Request Failed". Windows 10 refuses to recognize my Oregon, even with the latest USB drivers installed.

After multiple failed attempts, I decided to visit the Garmin forums to see whether the issue has been reported. The closest forum I could find was the "Communicator Browser Plugin" forum, even though the problem has nothing to do with the plugin. If Windows doesn't recognize the device, the plugin certainly won't work.

I submitted a post about the problem anyway, not seeing any other option.

This morning, I found the following message in my e-mail in-box: "You've posted this in a forum which has nothing to do with your query. Sorry but unfortunately as yet there isn't a forum here for device issues like this. Please contact Product Support"

This is appalling. You'd think that, after as many years as these devices have been out, they would have a forum that covers such issues.

I've also learned, through personal experience and that of geocaching friends, that the people who answer the support lines at Garmin generally have no clue about these sorts of issues. As a result, I'll try their support line only if the situation becomes desperate.

Come on, Garmin, you really need to provide some real, useful support for users of handheld devices.

Oh, yeah: Does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to get my 650 connected to my Windows 10 laptop? I've already tried installing the latest USB drivers from this page, and that didn't change anything: Same error.

--Larry

Edited to add that I've already e-mailed Garmin asking about the issue. If the past is any guide, I can expect several generic responses, over the next week or more, suggesting that I try all the fixes I've already tried, and I'll be no closer to getting the issue resolved. Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Edited by larryc43230

You don't need any drivers to connect to a computer. Those are for the old style models. Sounds like a problem with your computer, which can be complex to solve. Are you using the original cable?

You need to phone Garmin if you want support. Although I doubt they could help as it does not sound like and issue with their software or unit.

You don't need any drivers to connect to a computer. Those are for the old style models. Sounds like a problem with your computer, which can be complex to solve. Are you using the original cable?

You need to phone Garmin if you want support. Although I doubt they could help as it does not sound like and issue with their software or unit.

I tried connecting using half a dozen different cables, all of which work perfectly with my Windows 7 PC and the same Oregon. I made a point to test that before contacting Garmin. It's not the cable.

It was only after unsuccessfully attempting to connect the Garmin several times to the laptop now running Windows 10 that I resorted in desperation to installing those USB drivers. The Oregon connected to the same machine when it was running Windows 8 (later 8.1) hundreds of times without a hitch. And I never installed those USB drivers until after the upgrade to Windows 10, in a futile attempt to get the Oregon connected.

In summary: The Oregon connected via USB many times when it was running Windows 8.1, without need of any special drivers. After upgrading to Windows 10, without making any other changes, the Oregon will no longer connect.

--Larry

You need to phone Garmin if you want support.

I have called Garmin tech support quite a few times over the years. From my experience, and from that of others who have posted about it in this forum, for the typical problem (especially a complex one), if you talk to four different CSRs you will get four different answers, all of which are likely to be wrong. I'm not eager to subject myself to that again, or to make the problem worse by trying worthless remedies (I've done that a couple of times after taking a CSR's advice).

My favorite response from Garmin is apparently on their official list of pat answers: "Oh, you're using GSAK? That's the problem. Don't use GSAK and you'll be fine!"

:rolleyes:

--Larry

Could the problem lie with Windows10? A salutory lesson for others ... don't "upgrade" to Windows 10 until Microsoft have ironed out the bugs in software which has been released in an unfinished state. I know it's no help to you, but is a warning to others. Early adopters end up being Microsoft beta testers.

Could the problem lie with Windows10? A salutory lesson for others ... don't "upgrade" to Windows 10 until Microsoft have ironed out the bugs in software which has been released in an unfinished state. I know it's no help to you, but is a warning to others. Early adopters end up being Microsoft beta testers.

As far as I can determine, at least in my case it is a problem with Windows 10. The laptop I've been referring to is my "test bed" for the upgrade to the new OS. Simply upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (I'm aware the process is anything but simple, but that's all I've done on that machine) caused my Garmin GPS to no longer connect via USB.

My workhouse PC is currently running Windows 7. Until I can get the Garmin USB connection glitch resolved on the laptop, I'm not about to upgrade the workhouse PC. It's the only machine I have now that allows me to load caches into my Oregon.

Now that the obligatory finger-pointing from Garmin and its apologists has been taken care of, does anyone have a constructive suggestion as to how I can resolve this? I couldn't care less whether the issue was caused by Microsoft or by Garmin, I just need it to be fixed.

--Larry

I have tested Windows 10 with multiple machines and GPS. No problems. It works the same way as Windows 7 and 8. That part of the operating system has not changed.

Go into the "Device Manager". First make sure you don't have any devices that are shown as not working.

Connect the GPS and figure out which device is the GPS. Delete that device and disconnect. Re-boot and try reconnecting. Your error is not a driver issue. It is a communication issue between the mass storage device and the computer. The GPS is a generic mass storage device and communicates exactly the same as every other removable drive.

I specifically asked if you are using the original cable and you did not answer that question. Despite your complaining, it is a known problem that computers can be fussy with non-genuine cables and Garmin GPSs and it is important to rule that out.

I specifically asked if you are using the original cable and you did not answer that question. Despite your complaining, it is a known problem that computers can be fussy with non-genuine cables and Garmin GPSs and it is important to rule that out.

I have four "original cables", to go with the four Garmin GPS units I've purchased over the years. I've never had any difficulty using other decent-quality USB cables with the correct connectors,but for these tests I made sure to use the "original Cables". It isn't the cables.

--Larry

For me, the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 was pure simplicity and all settings and programs and devices are working properly. (and faster)

My four different Garmin GPSs are recognized and work fine, so I think your problem must be either your computer or possibly there was a hiccup in the Win 10 installation process.

When I plug in (any)one of my GPS, I immediately get an error message that says " USB Device Not Recognized" " the last USB device you plugged in malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it"

That is simply because of the difference in system speeds between the PC and the GPS. That message goes away when the GPS system catches up and goes into Mass storage mode. (my interface is set on Spanner).

When I choose "Yes, I want to go into mass storage mode" ON THE GPS, I'll hear the USB connection tone and the GPS is recognized and both the GPS and the SD card are displayed as such in Win Explorer.

When you connect your GPS, give it time to completely boot up and display the choice to go into Mass storage, choose yes and ignore any messages displayed before that point in the process. After choosing "Yes" it should go ahead and be recognized.

Hope that works for you, it does for me.

Edited by Grasscatcher

I have tested Windows 10 with multiple machines and GPS. No problems. It works the same way as Windows 7 and 8. That part of the operating system has not changed.

Go into the "Device Manager". First make sure you don't have any devices that are shown as not working.

Connect the GPS and figure out which device is the GPS. Delete that device and disconnect. Re-boot and try reconnecting. Your error is not a driver issue. It is a communication issue between the mass storage device and the computer. The GPS is a generic mass storage device and communicates exactly the same as every other removable drive.

Thanks for offering an actual possible solution, I appreciate it. Finding out whether it resolves the issue will have to wait until I have the time to try it; real life has suddenly gotten in the way. I'll get back with whether it improves anything.

I'm still extremely puzzled as to why the upgrade to Windows 10 clobbered my ability to connect my Oregon to the laptop....

--Larry

When I plug in (any)one of my GPS, I immediately get an error message that says " USB Device Not Recognized" " the last USB device you plugged in malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it"

That is simply because of the difference in system speeds between the PC and the GPS. That message goes away when the GPS system catches up and goes into Mass storage mode. (my interface is set on Spanner).

When I choose "Yes, I want to go into mass storage mode" ON THE GPS, I'll hear the USB connection tone and the GPS is recognized and both the GPS and the SD card are displayed as such in Win Explorer.

When I get that "does not recognize" error message from Windows, my Oregon boots into "normal" mode, not mass storage mode, so there's no "catching up" possible. The Interface is set to Garmin Spanner.

--Larry

You would get a lot more help with a less confrontational and passive aggressive attitude.

There's nothing passive about my opinion regarding Garmin support. Every time I've had difficulty with a Garmin unit, I've had to wade through multiple posts and/or e-mail messages and/or phone calls before I could get past the "it's you fault, not ours" attitude and finally deal with the issue.

Sorry, but this incident just reinforces that opinion.

--Larry

I found a device listed as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I deleted that entry.

I connected the Oregon using an original cable :rolleyes:. Same Windows error message about the device not being recognized. The "Unknown USB Device" entry reappeared in Device Manager.

Tried it multiple times, got the same result.

Any other suggestions?

--Larry

Edited to add that after the Windows error message appeared, the unit immediately went into normal (non-mass-storage) mode.

Edited to add that that the Oregon still connects correctly to my Windows 7 PC, 100% of the time.

Edited by larryc43230

Google. "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". This is a Windows problem and not a Garmin problem. You are better off discussing on forums with windows experts and they can help narrow down the problem. It will be related to the Windows 10 install on your specific model of computer.

Google. "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". This is a Windows problem and not a Garmin problem. You are better off discussing on forums with windows experts and they can help narrow down the problem. It will be related to the Windows 10 install on your specific model of computer.

For all these tests, I was using two original Garmin cables I hadn't used in a long time. A third is, and always has been up until now, connected to my Windows 7 PC.

I decided to try using the known-good original Garmin cable (the one I use on the Windows 7 PC) with the Windows 10 laptop, and, to my great surprise, it worked, the first time and for several ensuing tests.

This is the first time I've had one, let alone two, Garmin cables fail, but that appears to be the case here. The PC-end connectors on both cables seem looser than they should be; that could be the root of the problem. Oddly, these two now-known-bad cables continue to work fine on my Windows 7 PC. Windows 10 might be more persnickety when it comes to these cables, who knows?

I'm not apologizing for my attitude toward Garmin, my opinion hasn't changed. I would suggest they look into presenting a friendlier, more helpful face to their customers in the future and skip the knee-jerk "It's not our fault, it's your problem" attitude.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I have upgraded to Windows 10 Nad seem to be pretty happy with it, although not much different to the last one upfront. As to my ETREX 30, it does still connect and can be seen in Explorer with all its files etc. What it doesnt do is connect to the Geocaching web page because the 'plugins' have all been removed from Windows.

I found a reference to this being a change to ALL internet software and not just Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome. They have found that plugins are too glitchy and old hat. they have said they are also slow and i believe too hackable. I am not sure what the replacement is (sorry no help there) but i am sure something is happening because Minecraft (uses Java plugin) has been updated and uses a different way of connecting.

They also say that the plugins dont work on handheld devices which could be a good reason they have moved on.

This may be a Geocaching web page issue as the Garmin connection still works.

Philip

Your words....not anyone else's....".... skip the knee-jerk "It's not our fault, it's your problem attitude."

As it turns out, they would have been,or were, "correct" in inferring that cause. You were (and still are) so quick to point the accusing finger at Garmin....that your own "knee jerk" attitude prevented a quicker solution.

Why wouldn't you START with a "Known to be good" cable, instead of dragging two others "that I hadn't used in a long time" out of the closet? That is what is really unbelievable !...and should be a good learning experience.

Your words....not anyone else's....".... skip the knee-jerk "It's not our fault, it's your problem attitude."

As it turns out, they would have been,or were, "correct" in inferring that cause. You were (and still are) so quick to point the accusing finger at Garmin....that your own "knee jerk" attitude prevented a quicker solution.

Why wouldn't you START with a "Known to be good" cable, instead of dragging two others "that I hadn't used in a long time" out of the closet? That is what is really unbelievable !...and should be a good learning experience.

You don't know me, and you don't know my expertise. You might be very much surprised. I retired ten years ago after almost 20 years in tech support and Web development.

I expected the two cables I used in the initial tests would still be good because they had not been subjected to most of the strains of cables I'd had in active use for years. They were "official" Garmin cables that came with two Garmin GPS units. Since I already had an "official" Garmin cable, they were pretty much never used for anything. Why would I expect cables to go bad when they were simply hanging from a hook on the wall of my office?

And who at Garmin was correct about anything regarding the problem I had? My post on the Garmin forums was first rejected and not published, then, when it was published, no one ever responded to it. I also sent an e-mail to their technical support address and never, right up until today, got anything other than their automated "we got your message" response.

My opinion about Garmin has only been reinforced through this experience.

--Larry

As I tried to explain earlier, these units are very sensitive to the cables and having the problem you describe. This is based on real life experience and 20 years of owning a dozen Garmin units.

But it is hard to try and help you because of your aggressive tone.

As I tried to explain earlier, these units are very sensitive to the cables and having the problem you describe. This is based on real life experience and 20 years of owning a dozen Garmin units.

But it is hard to try and help you because of your aggressive tone.

In my 15 years or more of dealing with USB technology professionally and personally, these are the first devices I've dealt with that can't always play nice with standard, otherwise-high-quality USB cables.

My issue has been resolved, in spite of the lack of any actual communication from Garmin.

Because this thread has begun to devolve into name-calling (and questioning of expertise), I've requested that the thread be closed. Whether closed or not, this will be my last comment on the subject, at least until Garmin manages to aggravate me again

--Larry

I have a whole slew of Garmin GPS units, my favorite one is the 2730 with the physical pushbuttons on the front.

next best favorite was the 660 because it has an internal FM modulator... I ride Goldwing motorcycles, and being able to hear the GPS thru the radio's dash speakers was great!

but, the 2730 won't stay powered up because the cable connector is loose from too many years of trucking down the highways.

And, cables for GPS units are Very Finicky. More so that the average cellphone or other USB device.

With that said, I am a brand new user, and looking for an answer to a specific question.

What is the Torx Screwdriver size to remove the screws? T4 is too big, and that is the smallest one I have.

I want to open up my 2797 and add an audio output cable across the speaker terminals.

so wish that Garmin had not omitted that 3.5mm jack.

Now, to the Main Topic: Garmin Support: The folks there are Script Readers, and their responses are guided by very narrow parameters. If you have Software Problems, they can usually walk you through a fix.

If you have Hardware Problems, then you will receive the answer I got today: "Sorry, but all hardware designs questions are considered Propitiatory and Confidential"

All I wanted to know, is the size of the Torx Screwdriver needed to open the case. The reply I got after the 'confidential message was' you will void the warranty if you open the GPS.

No lie Sherlock, I had already gotten past that problem, it is a Refurb.... all I want is Audio out of the GPS.

so, again, anyone know what size the screws are in the case for the 27xx series Nuvi GPS units?

Moderator note. I'm closing this at the OP's request as the question has been answered (defective cables exposed by a better performing USB implementation). But as a mod, I'll request that everyone involved in the grouchier posts in this thread please review the forum guidelines linked at the top of the group about treating everyone with respect. There were several posts here that ran afoul of that guideline.

Play nice, please.