Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pest Watch

Geocaching and community engagement

Hi All

I am seeking to develop a series of geocaches containing education information for the general community on biosecurity issues. The information centralizes around "What is biosecurity" and "How you can be involved" as well as several case studies pertinent to the local area and primary industry. The information is for geocachers specifically and will contain physical geocaches at each site. The aim is to educate geocachers on potential biosecurity threats so they may move through their environment safely and enjoy geocaching without accidentally transport pests and disease in the process. As a potential bi-product of the program there is opportunity for geocachers to participate in providing feedback on potential pest sightings which can greatly help the agencies responsible for control and management. This component is strictly optional however, the primary focus is education.

I am seeking general feedback on this concept and potentially what sort of information the geocaching community at large is after. My local geocaching community is quiet keen and have a great desire to learn more about their environment and how to look after it.

In addition to this, my predecessor set up a couple of test sites (2) to see if local geocachers would use our geocaches (simple answer - yes, of course, they are geocaches so are fair game!). The existing geocaches have been set up as traditional's. I was wondering if I can convert them into a multi cache and add another one or two to take geocachers on a walking tour of the area? If not can I just add a couple of extra traditional ones and make reference to their nearby cousins?

Happy to provide further info if required. I am a geocacher myself but just need a little clarification on some of the less common game plans. :)

Please be mindful of the "Solicitation and Commercial Content" listing guideline, which provides in relevant part:

Cache listings perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be an enjoyable, family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

The text of your cache listings on Geocaching.com may not solicit.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#solicitation

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercialcaches

On the published cache page, you cannot lecture, solicit for behavior to control biohazards, ask seekers to volunteer, or to provide feedback. Nor can you offer links to other sites which will do those things.

Inside the geocaches, you could put brochures providing the biohazard, feedback, volunteer info. On the cache listing you can offer some straightforward information.

"...my predecessor set up a couple of ...geocaches....I was wondering if I can convert them into a multi cache and add another one or two to take geocachers on a walking tour of the area? If not can I just add a couple of extra traditional ones and make reference to their nearby cousins?"

The original listings would need to be archived (permanently retired). Then the locations re-used as part of your multi-cache. You can also create additional Traditional caches in the area, provided that they meet the cache saturation guideline.

You'll likely attract more finders with several Traditional caches than with a Multi-cache.

A Multi-cache has the advantage of allowing you to use two locations that are less than one tenth mile (161 meters) apart, so it might work to have a mix of caches, a Multi and some Traditional caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachesaturation