Revisiting Benchmarks

ArtMan

I'm wondering about going back to visit benchmarks that I've logged (geocaching) and filed recovery reports (NGS) on before.

Do you do it?

I've probably only done it on a handful of PIDs, mainly when I know that the situation as changed, for example a previously found mark has gone missing. But with more than a dozen years of reports behind me, it would seem well justified to look again if there haven't been recent updates.

On the other hand, it seems less challenging, less novel, less interesting to go back to a previously recovered mark. A lot of the pleasure in benchmarking for me is that it gets me out to explore places I might not otherwise get to. So why return to someplace I've already seen? On the other (other other?) hand, much can change over 3, 5, 8, or 13 years.

Thoughts?

I've probably only done it on a handful of PIDs, mainly when I know that the situation as changed, for example a previously found mark has gone missing. ..

On the other hand, it seems less challenging, less novel, less interesting to go back to a previously recovered mark. A lot of the pleasure in benchmarking for me is that it gets me out to explore places I might not otherwise get to. So why return to someplace I've already seen? On the other (other other?) hand, much can change over 3, 5, 8, or 13 years.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. If I know of one that has been destroyed I would go back to re-log. Or, if I happen to be near one that is very remote and has not been visited in a log time, and not since my last report, I might re-report it - at least to geocaching.

Other than that I don't typically re-log or re-report (although if I am in the vicinity, I might wave as I drive by).

I would agree that any time there is a significant change, I'd report again. This includes damage, reference objects destroyed so needing update, roads being renamed if they were important for finding the mark, or maybe even buildings being renamed if the location wasn't totally obvious.

I probably would not report an unchanged situation for most of a decade, although we were once given a guideline of only a few years (I forget details).

It's been long enough that I could start going through my list again. I'd do it just for updating, never mind the low challenge. I, too, recognize most of my finds as I drive past. That seems to stick with me better than remembering what I did yesterday.

I was also thinking of heading back to some of them. I sort of ran out of marks close to me and have to drive over an hour to just start looking, so I have not done much hunting at all lately. It has been about 10 years since I started and I might go out and look again. I am willing to bet some have disappeared.