Protocol for missing geocoin

mothman0

Hi all, first off, I hope this is the right forum for this question...

I sent out my first trackable geocoin a while back (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5469808), and it traveled around a bit in the hands of one cacher to many different caches, being checked in along the way, after which the person logged it as being placed in a cache.

However, it has now gone missing. The coin was logged as being present in the cache, but several subsequent finders logged a comment that there were no trackables present. As a side note, the cache listed a few trackables, not just mine, and it sounds like they are all missing.

My HOPE is that someone took all of those trackables, and simply did not log them, and they will eventually show up again, but I don't know.

What I'm wondering is, what is the accepted protocol for this, as the coin owner?

I just realized today that I can mark the coin as missing, which I have done.

Beyond that, is there anything I can do? At what point do I consider it gone for good? It's last known log is from mid May of this year.

When I bought the coin, I bought two copies of it, just in case, and I guess eventually I can relaunch the 2nd one and hope it lasts longer than the first.

Very disappointing as this coin only lasted about a month in the wild , and only was in the hands of a single person, before it disappeared. :(

Edited by mothman0

Hi all, first off, I hope this is the right forum for this question...

I sent out my first trackable geocoin a while back (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5469808), and it traveled around a bit in the hands of one cacher to many different caches, being checked in along the way, after which the person logged it as being placed in a cache.

However, it has now gone missing. The coin was logged as being present in the cache, but several subsequent finders logged a comment that there were no trackables present. As a side note, the cache listed a few trackables, not just mine, and it sounds like they are all missing.

My HOPE is that someone took all of those trackables, and simply did not log them, and they will eventually show up again, but I don't know.

What I'm wondering is, what is the accepted protocol for this, as the coin owner?

I just realized today that I can mark the coin as missing, which I have done.

Beyond that, is there anything I can do? At what point do I consider it gone for good? It's last known log is from mid May of this year.

When I bought the coin, I bought two copies of it, just in case, and I guess eventually I can relaunch the 2nd one and hope it lasts longer than the first.

Very disappointing as this coin only lasted about a month in the wild , and only was in the hands of a single person, before it disappeared. :(

Unfortunately this is the bad part of geocaching. I have lost a few coins and TB's this way, so only send out items now that if lost, it is not a big deal. When it comes to Geocoins, I send out a laminated paper copy of the item. I NO longer send out the coin itself as they WILL eventually go missing. As far as your missing coin, other than marking it as 'missing' there is no more you need to do. But if it does not resurface say in 6 months or a year, you can always make a proxy copy of it and send it back out so that at least it continues to travel. Also, there is a site that will make a Proxy coin of your missing one for a minimal cost of $2.99 - here sis their site; http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/Ready2Go-GxProxy-Coins-R2G00010.htm

I wouldn't have marked it missing so soon.

Marking it missing is kinda saying it's "gone for good".

Your coin copies have the same tracking number?

If so, up to you if you wanta take your chances with that one too.

I might just use that code on a hiking stick, pack, or some other object that stays with me, able to be logged as discovered by folks along the trail.

One of my TBs vanished from my own cache, with no log at all. :yikes:

You can make a "Proxy" (stunt double) as you like, even if it's just a laminated card. When you're ready, place that back into the wild (with appropriate info on the cache page). I'd suggest waiting a year before placing it. Many people take nice coins and don't seem to understand these are supposed to travel, and honest people eventually seem to figure it out (or a friend or relative does :P). Some of my TBs and coins turned up about 18 months after vanishing, so I've been waiting a little longer than a year. But my "proxies" stay with me. For now. :anicute:

As mentioned, you may instead use the tracking number in various fun ways, on an item you keep with you while caching.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

On cerberus' advice, I edited the coin again to place it back in the last known location, will leave it for some time.

Re: the coin copy, no, it doesn't have the same tracking number. I realize it wouldn't be an actual replacement for the missing one, but it's the same form, and if worse came to worse, I could simply start over, as the original didn't get very far before going missing, so I wouldn't lose too much in terms of distance.

As for (if need be) creating an actual proxy... am I understanding correctly that an actual proxy is a new trackable that has the original tracking code stamped into it? So in effect, there would be two trackables with the same code in the wild? (if the original resurfaced)

In any case, whatever I end up doing, I'd likely still send a new trackable out into the wild, as opposed to keeping the tracking code with me and just checking it in. My hope is to be able to see the item travel, as opposed to just having it 'tag along' with me.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

On cerberus' advice, I edited the coin again to place it back in the last known location, will leave it for some time.

Re: the coin copy, no, it doesn't have the same tracking number. I realize it wouldn't be an actual replacement for the missing one, but it's the same form, and if worse came to worse, I could simply start over, as the original didn't get very far before going missing, so I wouldn't lose too much in terms of distance.

As for (if need be) creating an actual proxy... am I understanding correctly that an actual proxy is a new trackable that has the original tracking code stamped into it? So in effect, there would be two trackables with the same code in the wild? (if the original resurfaced)

In any case, whatever I end up doing, I'd likely still send a new trackable out into the wild, as opposed to keeping the tracking code with me and just checking it in. My hope is to be able to see the item travel, as opposed to just having it 'tag along' with me.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, if the original resurfaces, you would have two of the same numbered items circulating. That's one of the main reasons to wait at least 6-12 months before sending out a proxy traveler.

Once you have bought a trackable item, YOU own the tracking code. You can substitute the number on any proxy of your choice. GxProxy.com has a series of specific items that you can use for substitute coins and trackables. Check their website. We've ordered and use their 'stunt coins' - they travel well and many have survived longer than the original coins.

I like to search for caches with trackables in it, to pick them up and let them travel again.

In my home town there are at least 40 caches with trackables in the inventory, that have gone missing some time ago.

If the cache owner or the owner of the trackable doesn't mark it missing it stays in the inventory of cache.

It makes it a lot harder for cachers to find trackables they can move.

For instance: I'm going on a short vacation to Denmark and I'm looking for trackables with goals to travel North.

This means looking at every cache that has trackables, clicking on trackables to see what mission they have.

In this case it also means clicking on at least 40 trackables that aren't there anymore.

It is a lot of work finding the ones to move and not very motivating for cachers who are willing to take trackables on their geocaching tours.

Marking your trackables as missing may feel as a final step, but if your trackable is found somewhere, it can be "grabbed" or "retrieved" in the normal way again.

In the meantime it will be clear that the trackable can not be found in the inventory of the last cache it was dropped in.

So please mark your trackables as missing?

Edited by Sivota

In the meantime it will be clear that the trackable can not be found in the inventory of the last cache it was dropped in.

So please mark your trackables as missing?

And when you take Trackables, make some kind of log on the TB's page as soon as you know it's gone from play, regardless of the reason it became missing, and do this every time. Or if you know what happened to a TB that caused it to be gone from the cache, log that, even just a Note log. Do not wait for the Cache Owner nor the TB Owner to figure out that it's gone, nor wait for emails from them. Make proactive logs.

Edited by kunarion