GPSMAP 64st vs eTrex 30?

I started geocaching a little while ago, and I have been using a Garmin eTrex 10. Although I love this device and think it is great, I plan on doing a lot more caching in the future, and I think that a device which has color and the ability to load maps such as topographic maps onto it would be good for me. I don't want a touchscreen device though. Within the next 6 months or so, I plan on upgrading, and I am stuck between two devices; the Garmin eTrex 30, and the Garmin GPSMAP 64st. They seem to share similar features, although the 64st probably has higher accuracy, and has an exterior antenna, and is slightly bigger in size. The eTrex 30, on the other hand, has superior battery life.

Link to eTrex 30: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/handheld/etrex-30x/prod518048.html

Link to GPSMAP 64st: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/gpsmap-64st/prod140024.html

I think I am leaning towards the 64st, it appears to have better specs and more memory. It is also $50-60 more.

I would appreciate help from anyone who owns one of these devices, or has lots of experience with GPS devices. Thank you!

Edited by dctr_derek

If you're leaning towards the 64, get save some $$$ and get a 64s and use freely available topo maps.

As for the eTrex 30, there is an updated version called the eTrex 30x. It has a better display than the 30 and has a bit more memory.

I started with an eTrex 20, upgraded to a GPSMAP 62s after two years, and have since upgraded to an Oregon 600.

The one big thing is that the 64 has more computing power over the eTrex 20/30, so maps scroll faster, etc.

It also supports GGZ files, which allows you to load more geocaches than just using GPX files alone.

If you're leaning towards the 64, get save some $$$ and get a 64s and use freely available topo maps.

As for the eTrex 30, there is an updated version called the eTrex 30x. It has a better display than the 30 and has a bit more memory.

I started with an eTrex 20, upgraded to a GPSMAP 62s after two years, and have since upgraded to an Oregon 600.

The one big thing is that the 64 has more computing power over the eTrex 20/30, so maps scroll faster, etc.

It also supports GGZ files, which allows you to load more geocaches than just using GPX files alone.

Thank you for the advice.

I owned an eTrex 30 and upgraded to a 64s. I'll tell you why. First, the eTrex 30 is a great model. Accurate, light and nice battery life. I had mine loaded with Garmin's 24k 3D shaded topo maps, plus an overlay trails map, and saved tracks overlaid on top of that. That required a lot of horsepower to render that many layers. Zooming in/out or panning the map would take about 10 seconds to completely redraw the screen. It didn't have any trouble keeping up while hiking, just when making big moves like zooming or panning.

I saw the 64s on display and played with it. It could scroll the base map in real time. I tried it with all my map layers and it redraws the screen in under a second. Just that simple.

The operating system and features are almost identical. I don't really think the 64s is more accurate. The quad helix antenna has to get better reception under very adverse conditions but I couldn't see any real difference in heavy tree cover. They're both really accurate and always get a signal unless I'm in a tunnel. Battery life is around 16 hours on the 64s vs 24 on the eTrex. The 64s is a lot bigger and heavier. The screen is bigger, too.

The 64s is just really, really faster. And I love having lots of maps on there. Garmin, GPSFileDepot, OSM and even Birdseye. The extra speed might not matter quite so much to someone with less data-intensive demands. Mostly feels like the same car but I went from the 4 cylinder engine to the V8.

I have both units, I would use the 64S for caching and due to its size and 25 HR battery life always use my 30 for hiking trips, it pans slower, but when viewing the map while just hiking, you wont see any problems, as said above, different screen an physical sizes, and button configurations, the weight difference isn't much. Glad I have both, don't have a favourite one. The newer Etrex is now down to 16 Hr battery life, maybe they have a faster cpu now, guess we will have to wait for the reviews to find out. Accuracy and reception is the same in my opinion. The 64 has a banner menu and battery saver mode too, maybe the new etrex might also have that, who knows.

Thanks, good to know, I thought I saw an Etrex at 16 hrs.I am guessing that those specified times are all full daylight screen on, with no back light or battery saver mode turned on, not sure about which receiver settings they are taken at such as, glonass or wass, though.

Yes either is good and both almost have the same software but they are still a little different, and every one will tell you which one is best based on what they seem to like. The 64 is really the higher performance unit, more money and a little bigger screen maybe nicer for your geocaching, but the Etrex is the one I like for hiking because its smaller and has better battery life,if you can find a place and take a look at both if you can, thing is most places that sell them have kids selling them that know nothing about them, but at least you can see them. Good luck.

I played with both the 30 and GPSMAP 64. It seemed to me the 64 panned and redrew the map when zooming in and out much quicker. I'm guessing the 64 has a better processor in it. Judging from the specs of the new Touch 35, the screen size and battery life is identical to that of the 64, so I'm hoping it also has the quicker processor in it. I haven't found a place that has the Touch 35 to play with it in person yet though.