Help with GDAK or other Android app

I am a long-time geocacher but a newbie smart phone user. I have loaded 3 geocaching apps to my HTC Desire phone--GDAK, GCDroid, and c:geo. I have been trying--sorta halfheartedly--to learn to use GDAK.

A few days ago while I was at a cache I got to the point of of having a screen image of a circle with a triangle side. I figured that was pointing me in the direction of the cache, but I was out in the bright sun and really couldn't see the screen very well. If there was any more information, such as distance, I couldn't see that at all. When I stopped moving, such as sat back in the car to get out of the bright sun, the image reverted to the little Google Maps guy. I thought maybe I needed to adjust the brightness setting, but found that it was already all the way to Bright. Am I at least on the right track here? Any "bright" ideas to help?

Yesterday I was at a different cache, opened GDAK and imported caches. It showed the nearest caches to be about 12 miles away, and did not show the one at 50 ft or the one at 1.5 miles or the ones at 3-6 miles. I did not have Found Its on any of these caches. Any ideas on what's up with that?

If you're wondering why I don't use the "official" app, at this time I'm not willing to put out any money for the paid or pro or whatever they're calling it this week, and see this thread regarding the Intro app: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=326157

I realize I'm just an old lady and not very tech-savvy, but is it really this complicated?

I realize I'm just an old lady and not very tech-savvy, but is it really this complicated?

I use GDAK offline, due to no data connection on my tablet except wifi. I also have the display issue you have -- the screen washes out in sunlight. I haven't fiddled with adaptive brightness, maybe it's just a setting.

Is "offline" data OK for you? I set up a Pocket Query, and GDAK downloads it. It loads very fast. I also loaded openstreet maps for my state, the reason I got GDAK, it's the one that worked out best for me with the offline maps, and that was the only time I had to look anything up (how to load a map). The rest made sense to me, ordinarily using a Garmin GPSr. The Apps are mainly for times when all I have is the tablet.

Anyway, I'm sure GDAK can load caches live, but that's not a feature I use, so I can't advise. But if a Pocket Query or two is OK, and if you load a couple of maps (well, if you want maps), you may be able to run GDAK in a kind of "offline" mode, save data costs, and even go into areas with no data service seamlessly, yet have access to PQs and logs online when you like. If I had a phone, I might like to set up an App to work like that.

I use GDAK offline, due to no data connection on my tablet except wifi. I also have the display issue you have -- the screen washes out in sunlight. I haven't fiddled with adaptive brightness, maybe it's just a setting.

Is "offline" data OK for you? I set up a Pocket Query, and GDAK downloads it. It loads very fast. I also loaded openstreet maps for my state, the reason I got GDAK, it's the one that worked out best for me with the offline maps, and that was the only time I had to look anything up (how to load a map). The rest made sense to me, ordinarily using a Garmin GPSr. The Apps are mainly for times when all I have is the tablet.

Anyway, I'm sure GDAK can load caches live, but that's not a feature I use, so I can't advise. But if a Pocket Query or two is OK, and if you load a couple of maps (well, if you want maps), you may be able to run GDAK in a kind of "offline" mode, save data costs, and even go into areas with no data service seamlessly, yet have access to PQs and logs online when you like. If I had a phone, I might like to set up an App to work like that.

Thanks, but I don't need it for PQs and other offline activity. I still intend to use my Garmin Montana on almost all occasions and only want to be able to use the phone for spontaneous, unplanned caching.

I don't need it for PQs and other offline activity. I still intend to use my Garmin Montana on almost all occasions and only want to be able to use the phone for spontaneous, unplanned caching.

The Apps all work differently than the familiar GPSr. Commonly used functions are in sub-menus. They feel programmed by a programmer, not designed for humans. It's almost like trying to use the Geocaching.com website :ph34r:. One of the trickiest things to figure out is what equates to "select the cache and Go" as on a GPSr. Every one has a different term for that ("Target?"). Then as you've noticed, the phone screen may not be suitable for viewing. There's something about the whole caching Apps on phones thing that doesn't quite serve its purpose.

The best App for finding a quick cache without any planning is the free Official Intro App. It's designed to be online, maps and everything, no manuals needed. For a couple of caches, it's pretty nice. I don't know about the "location is off" thing. It pops up once, goes away, yet I'm caching. It's a warning without actual failure. Your mileage may vary. :anicute:

If I have not loaded a current PQ in my Garmin, and if I have data access, I load the new PQ in the App (GDAK) which may save a caching trip. It's even possible to load the Garmin from a phone, but that means bringing a little more equipment and it's more work.

Edited by kunarion

A few days ago while I was at a cache I got to the point of of having a screen image of a circle with a triangle side. I figured that was pointing me in the direction of the cache, but I was out in the bright sun and really couldn't see the screen very well. If there was any more information, such as distance, I couldn't see that at all. When I stopped moving, such as sat back in the car to get out of the bright sun, the image reverted to the little Google Maps guy. I thought maybe I needed to adjust the brightness setting, but found that it was already all the way to Bright. Am I at least on the right track here? Any "bright" ideas to help?

Yesterday I was at a different cache, opened GDAK and imported caches. It showed the nearest caches to be about 12 miles away, and did not show the one at 50 ft or the one at 1.5 miles or the ones at 3-6 miles. I did not have Found Its on any of these caches. Any ideas on what's up with that?

GDAK shows an arrow when moving and a human figure when static. If you tap the cross at the left bottom of the map it will center the map to your location and will keep the map centered when moving.

When importing caches, make sure to set filters to what you want to load and after importing make sure you don't have a filter set that filters out what you want to see.

I've never used GDAK for caching but have it with me as it has the complete database of Belgium and all my founds (with all info like found WPs, codes... ). I case of problems I sometimes refresh cachedata in case something changed or new logs were posted since the last update (mostly just the day before). I have loaded caches on my GPS in cases where I forgot to load a bonus or missed a cache from a series.

Best of it is that I can see cachepictures at a decent size and the map is great for an overview of the area (a lot better than the small GPS screen).

The sun is a problem though but most of the time it's possible to get somewhere in the shade for a better view.

There's something about the whole caching Apps on phones thing that doesn't quite serve its purpose.

And yet many people use it quite successfully. I don't see how.

I don't know about the "location is off" thing. It pops up once, goes away, yet I'm caching. It's a warning without actual failure.

That sounds more like when you start your car and the "Check Engine" light comes on, then goes away and the engine starts. Mine is more like the "Check Engine" light comes on, stays on and the engine won't start.

If you tap the cross at the left bottom of the map it will center the map to your location and will keep the map centered when moving.

Thanks, that is helpful information.

The sun is a problem though but most of the time it's possible to get somewhere in the shade for a better view.

Well, I'd have to disagree with the "most of the time" part of that statement; too often the available shade is not anywhere near where the cache is, and if I stop in the shade to look at the phone, the pointer goes away and the image reverts to the person because I have stopped moving. The two instances I described in my OP are pretty typical--the only shade was inside the car.

Next weekend I'll be caching with someone who does use a phone exclusively; I don't know what app or what phone, but I'll see if she has any helpful hints. Meanwhile, I'll try it again and see if I have more success, or just more questions.

Thanks to all.

Well, I'd have to disagree with the "most of the time" part of that statement; too often the available shade is not anywhere near where the cache is, and if I stop in the shade to look at the phone, the pointer goes away and the image reverts to the person because I have stopped moving. The two instances I described in my OP are pretty typical--the only shade was inside the car.

As I said, I don't go caching with GDAK, I use it for reference. That way I never have to use it a a certain location, I can move away to where there's shade.

If you want the direction from where you are (standing still), use the compass instead of the map, that way the arrow will point to the cache.

A lot depends on the device. My current Android phone is pretty good. Normally, I leave its display at about half brightness. In full sun, I can crank it up to maximum brightness, shade it slightly with my body, and read the screen just fine. Even without shading it slightly with my body, high-contrast information is still legible.

Which brings up another issue... the way the app displays the information. I had to change the default colors and transparency for the map overlay that shows direction and distance to the target cache in CacheSense. The default setting was hard to read on the go, and I didn't like stopping and shading the screen with my body so I could read the direction and distance.

Another thought... Your premium membership comes with full API access, so go ahead and try a few apps:

http://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

Most have a free version, so it won't cost anything to see whether you can figure out how to use the app for spontaneous, unplanned caching. For example, CacheSense has a full-featured free demo. After a few weeks, it turns into nagware, but by then I knew I wanted to buy the full version. Other geocaching apps are similar.

As I said, I don't go caching with GDAK, I use it for reference. That way I never have to use it a a certain location, I can move away to where there's shade.

If you want the direction from where you are (standing still), use the compass instead of the map, that way the arrow will point to the cache.

OK, that's another thing; I've not been able to figure how to get to the compass. I've found "Compass" in the menus, but when I tap it or hold it, nothing happens. I'd rather use compass because that's more like I'm used to using with the GPSrs. How do I get there?

OK, that's another thing; I've not been able to figure how to get to the compass. I've found "Compass" in the menus, but when I tap it or hold it, nothing happens. I'd rather use compass because that's more like I'm used to using with the GPSrs. How do I get there?

Since I use a tablet the layout is different than on a phone but I see tabs: Info - Listing -Images - WP's - Compass - Map.

Based upon this and something you said earlier, I suspect that your device doesn't have an electronic compass. Not all Android devices have that feature. The arrow comes when you are moving because it's detecting your direction of travel. It's like having a Garmin without the electronic compass.

Based upon this and something you said earlier, I suspect that your device doesn't have an electronic compass. Not all Android devices have that feature. The arrow comes when you are moving because it's detecting your direction of travel. It's like having a Garmin without the electronic compass.

Oh that makes sense. I just pulled up the Users Guide for the phone and there's no mention of a Compass that I can find--nothing in the Index for sure. Maybe that's something I didn't get when I chose the less expensive phone. Thanks.

Hello folk

I have just discovered this app...looks good.

I can't seem to work out how to make a cache the "center point" (as in GSAK).....

"center round" a cache just seems to alter the distance/direction away to others, rather than have the nearest caches moved along side....(as in GSAK)

Thanks for looking and any help.

Pete

I can't seem to work out how to make a cache the "center point" (as in GSAK).....

"center round" a cache just seems to alter the distance/direction away to others, rather than have the nearest caches moved along side....(as in GSAK)

"Long press" a cache in the list and then press "Sort around this cache" does what you want (just like GSAK)