Dating the log

TwoMcGhees

We are nearer than ever to completing our calendar with our final day on the 21st of this month.

Between us we have been debating what happens after..

These are our defenses:

Jamie - We dont need to sign the date any more as we have completed calendar and have nothing to prove.

Scott - Well you can sign caches and log them on whichever day you want. if you play the game that way.

Do people who have filled their calendar grids still date the log?

I never date the log, either before I filled my grid was filled or after. I could get on a soapbox and say it's really not the business of the cache owner exactly what day I was there. If I signed the logbook on 8/15 but logged it online with a date of 8/17, they have no right to delete my log.

But the truth why I don't date is honestly I never know what the date is, nor do I care unless it's my anniversary. Right now I can tell you it's August, somewhere around the middle of the month, but without looking I don't know if it's the 10th or the 17th or somewhere in between.

Dates don't matter to me, so I just sign the logbook in the next spot.

I've always dated the physical log sheet, regardless of whether I've been actively working on a streak, or actively working on filling my Each Day of the Year grid, or whatever. And I always log online on the same date that I actually found the cache. (Field notes help with that. So does living in the Pacific time zone.)

Although I'm sure that I've dated a few physical logs incorrectly. Sometimes I think it's the 14th, and discover later in the day that it's really the 13th (for example).

I never date the log, either before I filled my grid was filled or after. I could get on a soapbox and say it's really not the business of the cache owner exactly what day I was there. If I signed the logbook on 8/15 but logged it online with a date of 8/17, they have no right to delete my log.

But the truth why I don't date is honestly I never know what the date is, nor do I care unless it's my anniversary. Right now I can tell you it's August, somewhere around the middle of the month, but without looking I don't know if it's the 10th or the 17th or somewhere in between.

I'm along the same lines.

Work-wise it's all electronic done on an app on the phone.

The app dates anything I do work-wise, I write nothing by hand these days. :blink:

So I have NO idea of the date!

I can just about remember which day it is.

Usually about the middle of the month I'm reasonably certain of which month it is...

Logged a cache the other day, dated the log, I'm sure I wrote the wrong date! :huh:

I've always dated the physical log sheet, regardless of whether I've been actively working on a streak, or actively working on filling my Each Day of the Year grid, or whatever. And I always log online on the same date that I actually found the cache. (Field notes help with that. So does living in the Pacific time zone.)

Although I'm sure that I've dated a few physical logs incorrectly. Sometimes I think it's the 14th, and discover later in the day that it's really the 13th (for example).

Pretty much everything niraD said goes for me as well.

Funny how the log as evolved. Use to be that the norm was a trail name, a date and a comment on the physical log. Then the standard became a name and date. Now it's becoming just a trailname. And even that has changed. Used to be everyone signed the log. Or family groups that always cached together signed with one team account. Now groups of unrelated people who are only caching together for the day make up a temporary one-time trailnames (trailnames that don't exist on the GC site). Interesting evolution.

The only thing is most COs don't check the dates someone signed. They just want to see if you signed them. The calendar goes by what day you logged it. So it doesn't matter if you signed them or not. Its when you logged them. Most of mine are on the days I found them but sometimes I noticed ones I did on the wrong date. I try to fix them when I found them but can't help the ones I haven't noticed.

Challenges their has been back and forth on if you log it the day you found it or the day you completed it.

And I always log online on the same date that I actually found the cache.
Just to clarify, I always log online using the same date that I actually found the cache. I often post the online log the next day, or the next week, or possibly even later. But the date posted for the log is the date I actually found the cache.

I don't pay much attention to these numerical side games. I've been geocaching for ten years and I always date the log.

I bet you could find one or two of my logs where I forgot to date the log. You might even find one or two with the wrong date. You can find quite a few more where the date was purposely omitted because the log was TINY. And all bets are off if one person other than me signed for a group. Other than that, including the correct date is my logging standard. Not because I care what anybody else thinks about it today. That is how it was done many years ago (more than ten) when I started caching. I guess that is why we still do it that way.

And I have revisited many old hides with geo-friends. If the log is still original it is always fun for the friend to look for that date.

I know most cache owners never check logs but I do occasionally check to weed out the false and duplicate logs. Most of my hides require a reasonable amount of effort so I feel it is only fair that those taking credit for the find actually do it. I suppose if I had a string of mindless micros I'd feel differently.

I use the correct day to log the paper log and as I tap the "log" button on the GPS it will keep that date and time for me to import in GSAK and then publish my logs. Always the correct date (and time) and the correct order.

I'm certainly not changing the real found date just to fill the calendar grid or to fulfill the requirements for a challenge.

I'm so old I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, much less the actual date of the month. I do know it's Thursday though.

I just sign the thing. That's all that's required anyway. :ph34r:

Yes. That's why my wristwatch tells me what day it is. (I get strangely lost if I don't know what the time and date are!)

I always list the date with my signature. Then I know where I was and when.

Most times I sign the log and some days I don't.

If it's pouring rain or it's brutally cold I'll just put my abbreviated name and put the log back.

As far as when the find is logged, the date on the online log is the date captured by my GPS or smartphone, so no matter if I'd put the date wrong on the physical log, it's the correct date online.

Not only do I log the date, but generally log the time to. Many times I'vve seen a name/date the same day and wonder how far apart (timewise) we are - can I catch them on the trail, maybe? The times I don't is when in a large group and then one date for all the names, it's quicker and takes less space in the logbook.

Same here, I never know the date. If my wife signs she puts the date and sometimes the time.

I'm so old I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, much less the actual date of the month. I do know it's Thursday though.

I just sign the thing. That's all that's required anyway. :ph34r:

+1 that's why I got a watch that tells me the day and date as well as the time. Being retired the day of the week is the hardest to remember. :unsure:

Don't be lazy. Write down the date please; it's part of the tradition, maybe a rule too.

It's useful information. "Hey, the last find was over two years ago, cool!" Or for figuring out TB mysteries, or whatever.

Just do it please.

I fully agree and I'm a bit baffled that so many treat a date as something superfluous for an entry in a log(!)book.

My watch has a little box with the date in it where the number four should be. It is so small I haven't been able to see it since I turned 40-something. I put the "calendar" icon on the face page of my GPS. Since retiring it requires a bit of thinking before I can guess the date. After reading this topic, I don't think I'll worry about recording the date so much anymore.

Don't be lazy. Write down the date please; it's part of the tradition, maybe a rule too.

It's useful information. "Hey, the last find was over two years ago, cool!" Or for figuring out TB mysteries, or whatever.

Just do it please.

It's not a rule. My date is online. Don't assume because it's important to you it's important to others.

Just do it please.

It's not a rule. My date is online. Don't assume because it's important to you it's important to others.

If it's not important to you, but you know it's important to some others, what's the big deal? Why NOT scribble the date (as best as you can guess it) if it makes someone else's game a little better? Don't we like each other?

International man of mystery that I am, I'm actually forbidden by my employer from dating logs.

I can't take the chance that a past, present or potential adversary knows when I was where.

If they can put together a timeline of my past movements, they can infer future activity.

I can't be expected to be effective as a field operative when my location can be predicted.

That's why I steal a different car every six days, like clockwork.

Sometimes I mix up my online logs, too. I'll wait to log until late in the evening, well AFTER the subsequent cacher logs his visit! So, my physical log entry will be BEFORE, but my online log will be AFTER!! Whaaaa???!!!

That's why I'm the best.

Recently, I've created a second "Sock-Puppet" account. Many people do this; for example, one to hide caches, one to find caches and one for these forums. I took that to the extreme - I use the SAME "Sock" for ALL THREE USES!

See if they can find me now!

My watch has a little box with the date in it where the number four should be. It is so small I haven't been able to see it since I turned 40-something. I put the "calendar" icon on the face page of my GPS. Since retiring it requires a bit of thinking before I can guess the date. After reading this topic, I don't think I'll worry about recording the date so much anymore.

Funny you should say that. I often find myself caching without my watch on, so I put the calendar icon on my gps main menu, too.

We are nearer than ever to completing our calendar with our final day on the 21st of this month.

Between us we have been debating what happens after..

These are our defenses:

Jamie - We dont need to sign the date any more as we have completed calendar and have nothing to prove.

Scott - Well you can sign caches and log them on whichever day you want. if you play the game that way.

Do people who have filled their calendar grids still date the log?

Challenge or not, why are you contemplating not dating the log? It's not like it is a difficult thing to do. There are some good reasons for dating but i sure can't think of any good ones for not. I take that back,,, i forgot that i do know a person who did it for a particular reason. Kinda silly but that's the way that person plays! :blink:

I try to date the physical and online logs accurately because I believe everything in life should be done accurately. My personal stats are of interest to me as well; it's neat to see which day of the week I have found the fewest caches, etc.

The date is of interest to other cachers to know when it was last found.

We just finished the Calendar challenge, as well. We've always dated the log, even when we weren't actively working on filling the grid. It's cool to look at a cache log and say, "Wow, the last find was a year ago!" or "Someone else was here earlier today!" or whatever--we just always notice the date on the last log.

Though we usually sign with a sharpie, I also have a stamp that includes our names and the date. It's neat!

--Q

I had never thought of NOT dating the logs, even on nanos.

+1

Totally agree. For me, the date is part of the whole point! I would never think of not writing the date. I also make sure my online logs match the actual find date, and that both match the date I wrote on the physical log. Anything less feels somehow incomplete for me personally.

I always find it fun, especially when I'm caching around home, to see that someone else found the cache before me today. Because our caching community is pretty tight-knit, I usually know the person, and it adds a layer of fun for me, to know that they were here, maybe even just moments before. If I know them quite well, I might even text them and meet up to continue caching together. Without the dates, I would never know.

That's a great way to quickly fill the log in a nano, like those who insist on using their stamps on nano logs. This is especially true considering the guidelines don't require anything more than one's cacher name.

The guidelines require very little of finders.

Dating logs has always been widely done. Owners should maintain their nanos more frequently or hide better containers with bigger logs.

That's a great way to quickly fill the log in a nano, like those who insist on using their stamps on nano logs. This is especially true considering the guidelines don't require anything more than one's cacher name.

Not only does the tiny log fill up fast but it tatters and gets wet and moldy fast too. A nano requires more maintenance, not less.

Edited by L0ne.R

That's a great way to quickly fill the log in a nano, like those who insist on using their stamps on nano logs.

Horse hockey.

Even on thumbnail sized nanos, I've gotten the date and our full username in on ONE line.

For teeny-tiny log scrolls, I use a fine-point Sharpie.

And I write the date (always) in D/M/Y format: 17/8/15

I've never thought to not include the date on our logs, until this thread. It just never occurred to me to not include it.

B.

I've never thought to not include the date on our logs, until this thread. It just never occurred to me to not include it.

Judging by the nano logs I've found, it never occured to anyone else in my area either.

I tend to ignore nanos, but when I do find them, I date the log.

Judging by the nano logs I've found, it never occured to anyone else in my area either.

I tend to ignore nanos, but when I do find them, I date the log.

Same here. Unless it's too wet to write anything, we'll squeeze initials and a numeric date between two lines in the nano log.

Truly clever nano hides are very rare, and they tend to be hidden by people who aren't interested in the maintenance they require. Most of these tiresome caches could be easily replaced with a bison tube or a small lock n' lock.