Hike atribute

Yvn-Geeert

Hi,

What do you guys think about this:

There is a "hike between 1km and 10km" atribute. I think it would be nice if there where a 2.5km atribute, 5km and the 10km. Something like these. Or "hike between 1km and 5km", "hike between 5km and 10km".

I'm curious about what you guys think. Between 1 and 10km is a pretty distance, it could be 2 or 9km :anibad:

There is a "hike between 1km and 10km" atribute. I think it would be nice if there where a 2.5km atribute, 5km and the 10km. Something like these. Or "hike between 1km and 5km", "hike between 5km and 10km".

I'm curious about what you guys think. Between 1 and 10km is a pretty distance, it could be 2 or 9km :anibad:

Maybe adding an extra field in the cache description would even be better. If this could be read by software like GSAK via API it would make filtering even easier.

Extra attributes may of course be easier to implement.

<1 Km

1-2 Km

2-5 Km

5-10 Km

10-15 Km

15-25 Km

25-40 Km

>40 Km

Maybe adding an extra field in the cache description would even be better. If this could be read by software like GSAK via API it would make filtering even easier.

<1 Km

1-2 Km

2-5 Km

5-10 Km

10-15 Km

15-25 Km

25-40 Km

>40 Km

I am in agreement .

<1 Km

1-2 Km

2-5 Km

5-10 Km

10-15 Km

15-25 Km

25-40 Km

>40 Km

That would even be better these km atributes.

Where can we send some ideas to Groundspeak? Or do they read the forums? :anicute:

I think the old substantial hike attribute was enough.

Depends on your caching habits. In winter we walk doing caches and then there's less of a problem with distances as most caches are "short" and are combined to fill the (short) days and using the car to move from cache to cache (we prefer multi's so park and grab is no issue).

In summer we try to find one or more multi's that can be combined from a central parking spot. We aim for 35-35 Km trips as this gives us time to find tags and containers and get us back in time to drive home for dinner. Being able to filter caches with "Bicycles - yes" AND a narrow enough distance attribute would make it a lot easier to prepare our days.

As a sidenote, I wish more CO's would use the bicycle yes/no attribute and not just mention in the listing bikes are or are not permitted and mention the distance and amount of WP's (although sometimes they don't mention this on purpose).

Somehow, this looks familiar...

stars1.gif <1 Km

stars1_5.gif 1-2 Km

stars2.gif 2-5 Km

stars2_5.gif 5-10 Km

stars3.gif 10-15 Km

stars3_5.gif 15-25 Km

stars4.gif 25-40 Km

stars4_5.gif >40 Km

Where have I seen that before?

I couldn't say to what you are referring specifically, but there have been other proposals to use Stars to quantify other aspects of some caches.

Perhaps this idea should be posted in the Website section as

[FEATURE]Distance Stars

?

When I want to know how long a hike to a cache will be, I look at the map and read the cache description.

Unless the CO didn't mention it, of course.

Having a way to filter on length saves a lot of time when preparing a cacheday. One of the caches that we couldn't plan for was the final of a long series. Except for the first caches that were traditionals, there were a few short multi's and then a whole string of mysteries. Info from found caches was needed to continue to the next and the final just listed "you need info from all caches to find this one". We ended up with 16 WPs and the cache and about 10 Km. It would have been nice if we had known this in advance as we expected a much shorter walk.

Many times it's necessary to go through the logs to get an idea of the distance so attributes or any other indication is a great help. If only doing traditionals then it's clear how far you need to walk/ride, anything else... I like to be prepared for.

Hi,

What's a kilometer? :unsure:

When I want to know how long a hike to a cache will be, I look at the map and read the cache description.

Unless the CO didn't mention it, of course.

Having a way to filter on length saves a lot of time when preparing a cacheday. One of the caches that we couldn't plan for was the final of a long series. Except for the first caches that were traditionals, there were a few short multi's and then a whole string of mysteries. Info from found caches was needed to continue to the next and the final just listed "you need info from all caches to find this one". We ended up with 16 WPs and the cache and about 10 Km. It would have been nice if we had known this in advance as we expected a much shorter walk.

Many times it's necessary to go through the logs to get an idea of the distance so attributes or any other indication is a great help. If only doing traditionals then it's clear how far you need to walk/ride, anything else... I like to be prepared for.

When I'm not sure how long a hike to a cache will be, I do more research or set it aside for a time when that won't be a constraint.

In my experience, the sort of cache owners who design caches like that mean for them to be a surprise and wouldn't use this sort of attribute anyway.

Hi,

What's a kilometer? :unsure:

One million millimetres..... :P