Connect a geocache to a Little Free Library?

TheFolklorist

I've never hidden a geocache before, but we just built a Little Free Library, and I thought it could be a good opportunity to create a geocache as well. My question is whether I want to make the library itself the cache, with a log book in it, or whether I want to put a smaller cache inside the library.

Suggestions or advice appreciated! Thanks!

I like LL caches. My advice, have a cache inside. I found one without a cache. It apparently had a logbook but it went missing. People were writing on the inside walls of the little library. The one I enjoyed finding had a sucrets tin attached by magnet to the inside roof. Not likely to get taken by non-cachers, because it's out of sight. . The sucrets tin was large enough for a log, small pencil and a few small trinkets.

From a cache reviewer standpoint, the most important details in a cache of this type are (1) to secure permission from the owner of the Little Free Library, and (2) not to overly promote the Little Free Library movement within your online cache description. It seems you've taken care of the first issue since you own the library! :lol:

Regarding the cache and log, reviewers look to be sure that the definition of a cache is met: there must be a "container" that encloses a "log." If you place a separate cache container inside the library, it is easiest from a listing guidelines perspective.

The LFL caches I've seen have had a separate container. That container might be outside the LFL (e.g., magnetically attached, or resting on a hidden shelf under the LFL, or hidden a short distance away), or it might be inside the LFL (e.g., camouflaged as a book, or magnetically attached to the underside of the roof). If you camouflage it as a book, then be sure to tether it so no one thinks it's a real book and takes it.

But a separate container helps avoid confusion between geocachers and LFL users.

We have one in our own LFL and it's been a hit. Spoiler: the container is a book safe, a fake dictionary, which is tethered to the interior of the library using nylon coated steel wire and crimps. http://coord.info/GC5DK8K there is a label saying "for reference only" and "do not remove" just in case. It's in plain sight but apparently not very noticeable among the more interesting books.... A few cachers have had trouble finding it, briefly!

I've never hidden a geocache before, but we just built a Little Free Library, and I thought it could be a good opportunity to create a geocache as well. My question is whether I want to make the library itself the cache, with a log book in it, or whether I want to put a smaller cache inside the library.

Suggestions or advice appreciated! Thanks!

There's a Little Free Library in a city park that I considered placing a cache in. It had a peaked roof that was magnetic, so most any container with a magnet would stick right up there, protected well from the elements, as Lone.R mentioned. Plus there was a frame that hid the container from view. Nobody would know there's a cache, kind of important at that somewhat muggled LFL. Being in a small park with a playground, the books tended to become scattered and destroyed.

I'd suggest building a secret compartment or some way to tuck away a small container, with the plan that only cachers are to find it. But if a fake book works, that's great, too.

Edited by kunarion

Personally, I don't like cache containers inside because there's no GPS usage possible. What's the point in having a GPS game if you can't use the GPS to find the cache? Collecting information inside and having a nice container outside on the other hand sounds cool to me. I like those kind of caches.

Personally, I don't like cache containers inside because there's no GPS usage possible. What's the point in having a GPS game if you can't use the GPS to find the cache? Collecting information inside and having a nice container outside on the other hand sounds cool to me. I like those kind of caches.
FWIW, there's a difference between a library cache and a "Little Free Library" cache. Little Free Libraries are small boxes like this:

b9991e67-cff9-44ee-9523-babacb15001c_l.jpg

FWIW, there's a difference between a library cache and a "Little Free Library" cache. Little Free Libraries are small boxes like this:

b9991e67-cff9-44ee-9523-babacb15001c_l.jpg

Oh! Then I'll offer my excuses here and now :lol: I assumed a library is a library, and a little free library is something like a small room in someone's private home :P Actually, I think we found such a cache in Calgary! A big box full of books simply for free trading. I thought it was pretty cool.