A Rant

Timlp1

Of the last several and I mean more than 20 geocaches across the country as I travel and I have scoured with supposed Travel Bugs and many with supposed multiples none of those caches are hosting any TBs and no one is claiming to pull them. Why is it so hard to log what is being pulled or left when logging in or out at a site? Extremely frustrating. Yet more frustrating is just taking TBs and not logging the TBs at all for extended periods of time. I'm suggesting the Black Plague has consumed several TBs as they appear to have gone to unmarked graves. Cachers beware we may be next!

Of the last several and I mean more than 20 geocaches across the country as I travel and I have scoured with supposed Travel Bugs and many with supposed multiples none of those caches are hosting any TBs and no one is claiming to pull them. Why is it so hard to log what is being pulled or left when logging in or out at a site? Extremely frustrating. Yet more frustrating is just taking TBs and not logging the TBs at all for extended periods of time. I'm suggesting the Black Plague has consumed several TBs as they appear to have gone to unmarked graves. Cachers beware we may be next!

This seems to happen less with PMO caches, but I feel your pain. :o

Groundspeak's free app doesn't do anything with trackables. The help pages do explain that trackables should be logged on geocaching.com though.

But then again, who read help pages? :ph34r:

No wonder TBs/Coins are getting as rare to find as decent multi's.

I don't recall ever seeing a trackable without the log at geocaching.com or trackable at geocaching.com written someplace on it. :unsure:

Groundspeak's free app doesn't do anything with trackables. The help pages do explain that trackables should be logged on geocaching.com though.

I don't recall ever seeing a trackable without the log at geocaching.com or trackable at geocaching.com written someplace on it. :unsure:

+1

Along with, " Do not keep me" on TB tags...

In the eyes of someone who doesn't know about trackables; 'Trackable/log at geocaching.com' doesn't necessarily imply that anything must be done. It's only useful if they went through the help and 101 sections and knows what it means or they look it up out of curiosity.

In my experience as a new player using the intro app on iPhone, the 101 can be easily skipped and clicking the 'help and about' button doesn't look much like a button (in fact I didn't find it for the longest time) and even if it is found, all it does it crash the app and nothing else. I know it's hip to be square :cool: so I looked up the website and guides but I'm sure a lot of people haven't/won't. Not an excuse but I can understand how it might happen.

In the eyes of someone who doesn't know about trackables; 'Trackable/log at geocaching.com' doesn't necessarily imply that anything must be done. It's only useful if they went through the help and 101 sections and knows what it means or they look it up out of curiosity.

In my experience as a new player using the intro app on iPhone, the 101 can be easily skipped and clicking the 'help and about' button doesn't look much like a button (in fact I didn't find it for the longest time) and even if it is found, all it does it crash the app and nothing else. I know it's hip to be square :cool: so I looked up the website and guides but I'm sure a lot of people haven't/won't. Not an excuse but I can understand how it might happen.

:blink:

For any cachers who need excuses to keep or lose Trackables, just make up an excuse or read this Forum and pick one. You'll find plenty of people who are very familiar with "help and 101" and know exactly what they're doing. People were justifying wrongdoing long before the Apps, and still do, even without Apps. :anibad:

I also think a TB section in an "App" would make things worse, unless it only allows maybe "Discover" or "Note". If we're assuming App users don't read :ph34r:, we're assured they therefore won't read and understand the finer details of TB logging.

Edited by kunarion

For any cachers who need excuses to keep or lose Trackables, just make up an excuse or read this Forum and pick one. You'll find plenty of people who are very familiar with "help and 101" and know exactly what they're doing. People were justifying wrongdoing long before the Apps, and still do, even without Apps. :anibad:

Perhaps, but I think there are some genuinely ignorant mistakes amongst the ones who do it in full knowledge.

I also think a TB section in an "App" would make things worse, unless it only allows maybe "Discover" or "Note". If we're assuming App users don't read :ph34r:, we're assured they therefore won't read and understand the finer details of TB logging.

I think a TB section would be incredibly useful. A pop up comes up when you click a different type of cache explaining what it means (multi/mystery/geo/etc) and I read every single one of them. If a pop up came up when I hit a cache with a TB in it, I'd read that too. It doesn't have to have to even allow discover/grab/note (they can still save that for the paid app) but if it just pointed out what on earth a TB is and what can be done with it, that would be super helpful.

Bearing in mind the intro app is supposed to be for people who have no idea about anything to do with geocaching, and is a quick-fire way of getting them into the game. IMO as someone with first hand knowledge of this, it's missing some essentials.

:blink:

Please elaborate?

Edited by huskydays
If a pop up came up when I hit a cache with a TB in it, I'd read that too. It doesn't have to have to even allow discover/grab/note (they can still save that for the paid app) but if it just pointed out what on earth a TB is and what can be done with it, that would be super helpful.

It would be cool to have help files available in the App online. The help files currently are lacking, when it comes to Trackables, even contradictory or confusing. Then again, too much text would also be a problem.

"...If you will refer to Ordinance 55-27B, section 903.2, paragraphs 3 through 48 further define the roles of TB Owner and Finder..." ;)

I don't think the logs must necessarily be limited just because it's a free Intro. But these are brand new cachers, and if they take a TB that needs much unscrambling to log, that's more advanced work than they should be expected to do at that point. Even veteran cachers have tons of detective work to do, if they wish to fix the status of some tricky messed up TBs. I'm just sayin', it's not a "We Invite You To Try Out Geocaching This Afternoon And See If You Like It" kind of thing. :anicute:

OTOH, the App is running on a pretty powerful computer. A system that could run some scenarios and develop a strategy might come in pretty handy. "I calculate that someone placed this but has not yet logged it as being Dropped. Try waiting 1 week before logging the Retrieval. Is this OK? [Y/N]. OK, would you like a reminder, set for one week from today? [Y/N]. Would you like to type a Note log now for this TB so the TB Owner knows what the plan is? [Y/N]".

Edited by kunarion

I found my first TB just a couple months after I started geocaching. I did not scrutinize every help file available so I didn't know what I had; however, the fact that it had blatant instructions on the tag as to what to do with it made it pretty simple. I went home, followed the instructions on the tag, and was tickled to discover that the TB I was holding had come all the way from Belgium and had been travelling for seven years already. That first experience got me hooked! I will almost always take a TB to move it along now, and have started photographing each one so I can make a TB page for my scrapbook.

Unfortunately, given how often they disappear, I don't even bother to look at the inventory when I'm picking out caches, but I do try to check when I'm logging later so that if I came across a cache and there were no coins or TBs, I can make a note of that in my log. I think there are a number of issues that contribute to this, not just the app ordeal. A lot of TBs are attached to something really cute or interesting, and it's possible that kids who are caching with their parents and don't know any better grab it up as swag, and parents don't think to check and see if that stuffed Snoopy's collar is actually a TB tag. I have at least one TB that was taken by a couple who got really into geocaching... for about two months. They have not logged a find since March, and have not answered the polite email I sent regarding my TB.

So my take on it: I still release TBs into the world for fun, and when I find one, I'm delighted, but I don't maintain any expectations for them!

While out this week in a large national park I came across 8 caches over 2 days that showed that a trackable of some sort was contained within.

Only to find all of them empty. Its frustrating that people cant be bothered to log a simple find and move it on. If you lose it, admit it. If you keep it then you are a ****** :)

I like finding them and looking at the maps to see where they have been. Some of my previous finds have moved on nicely, some have been in the same persons possession for nearly a year.

If you cant give it a new home within a few weeks, don't take it. Simple!!

I have one last active traveling TB, and it has survived so far nicely, most likely because it doesn't have a real value of its own.

Personally, I don't see a problem with one cacher keeping it some considerable time as long as it travels with him/her, with 'visited' logs showing it's at least some kind of alive.

Worst thing I encountered was one guy grabbing a TB from a cache - and the cache was muggled and destroyed some days later. And as this genius published the tracking code in his log, there were following discoveries - which meant I didn't even know if it was still alive or destroyed with the cache. Asking the claiming grabber, he told he really had it and would place it soon again. Famous last words I heard of it ...

With this in mind - yes, I'll send out other TBs in future (as I still have some tags for them), with awareness they likely will get lost. The happier I'll be, when they survive some time and collect some milage :-)

I don't see a problem with one cacher keeping it some considerable time as long as it travels with him/her, with 'visited' logs showing it's at least some kind of alive.

If you mean the TB is having pictures posted with the actual TB and real logs, then yes, at least you know it's not "lost". If it's the typical mass of robotic logs, please see a problem with that. But approving that it stays with one person forevermore, just has this kidnapping vibe to it. With a little Stockholm Syndrome mixed in. B)

I don't see a problem with one cacher keeping it some considerable time as long as it travels with him/her, with 'visited' logs showing it's at least some kind of alive.

If you mean the TB is having pictures posted with the actual TB and real logs, then yes, at least you know it's not "lost". If it's the typical mass of robotic logs, please see a problem with that. But approving that it stays with one person forevermore, just has this kidnapping vibe to it. With a little Stockholm Syndrome mixed in. B)

I agree. Well, maybe not Stockholm Syndrome... :laughing:

Kidnapping is a good word for it though.

Seems some odd reason the person thinks holding on to it way past any reasonable amount of time, in effect "kidnapping" your trackable, is the best thing for it.

Months of "took it to" without pictures is no indication the trackable's still in their possession.

Seems some odd reason the person thinks holding on to it way past any reasonable amount of time, in effect "kidnapping" your trackable, is the best thing for it.

Months of "took it to" without pictures is no indication the trackable's still in their possession.

Sure, but when that guy at the mall took my baby from her stroller, I'm glad he leaves a lot of notes to say "I got your kid". It's reassuring.

:anibad:

:ph34r:

I can attest about the frustration with disappearing TB's I had one disappear for five years from a TB Hotel in California. I confirmed with the cache owner that it was there (cache was located in his front yard) and asked him to hold on to it because I was going to be in California (I live in Washington) Once there I messaged the owner that I was in the area for a couple days and wanted to retrieve my TB from him. He conveniently ignored my messages, we went to the cache, cars were present out front but no one answered the door and the TB Hotel cache was completely empty even though online it supposedly had 8 different TB's in it. I had family members drop by to attempt to retrieve the TB on multiple occasions over the next six months with no luck. Four years later my TB appeared out of the blue in Texas at a geocaching event. I about fell over, it's moved more in the last three months than it has in 8 years.

Edited by MiniBullyMom

The plague continues! I purposely chased a 4.5/3 cache with two TBs listed and and owner stating to swap, not just pull. It was also deep in the woods and not a likely spot for the casual geocacher. Not only were the TBs not there and no one claiming them but the hide was filled full of swag another topic the owner claims they did not want collected in the hide. Uuugghhh

The plague continues! I purposely chased a 4.5/3 cache with two TBs listed and and owner stating to swap, not just pull. It was also deep in the woods and not a likely spot for the casual geocacher. Not only were the TBs not there and no one claiming them but the hide was filled full of swag another topic the owner claims they did not want collected in the hide. Uuugghhh

" TAKE A TRAVEL BUG ONLY IF YOU LEAVE A TRAVEL BUG!!! If you completely debug this cache, I will remove it!!!"

Surprised that caches like this stay under Reviewer radar.

Lucky I'm not close enough to call his bluff. :lol:

You do realize that cache owners aren't allowed any kind of "swap" rule, right?

There has been discussion on a local forum about a CO who had (has) a TB hotel and stated TB in = TB out on the listing. The problem was that TBs were taken out without dropping others leaving the TB hotel just a hotel :blink:

He always reacted angry towards the cachers who "stole" (his words) the TBs and after a short while he went on a TB "shopping spree" retrieving trackables for all nearby caches to drop them in his cache.

It took a while before he understood he was doing what he accused others of doing.