Preloaded geocaches delete on garmin etrex touch 25

stakkes

hello,

i bought myself a garmin etrex touch 25 today. but there are 250000 preloaded geocaches at this GPS. is their a way that i can delete this geocaches? they don't show in my basecamp.

Greetings

STakkes

Those caches would be in a GGZ file and Basecamp is still unable to read GGZ files.

Hopefully Garmin will address that issue, since all of their newer handheld units support GGZ files.

Removing the preloaded caches and then just setting your PQ to NOT include your own caches when it's generated is the general prescription.

When I last spoke with Garmin engineering on this topic, the same geocache in multiple files, or even more than once in the same file, it was explicitly called out as undefined behaviour. After all, if the same GC# in three different files is active, archived, and temp disabled, what should it show?  You can make up complicated assumptions about which file was read last or whether the reader should check time stamp or the generation time, but the last discussion I had was pretty clear that nothing that crazy was being attempted.

If you have the same - especially conflicting data - in multiple files, whether GGZ or GPX, you're going to have a bad time.  But this is getting OT for a bump for a two year old post.

We are planning a trip to Europe in the spring and want to go geocaching while we're there. My tracfone somewhat smartphone has the geocaching app on it. I won't be able to access it using data when I'm Europe, only WiFi. I am thinking of buying a Garmin etrek Touch 25 device to take along. With 250,000 preloaded geocaches, how is that determined? Because I live in Indiana, it's Indiana focused? Or should I just stick with my somewhat smartphone and WiFi when geocaching overseas?

The 250,000 preloaded geocaches are useless. You'll delete them and load pocket queries for the specific areas that you plan to visit. This could be a broad area requiring 10s of thousands of geocaches depending on how you roll, but that's doable with a GGZ file by importing your pocket queries into GSAK (windows) or iCaching (mac).

Can  anyone help please?     just tried to delete preloaded caches on the above GPS,  by deleting the GGZ file,  now my Gps  screen shows garmin logo,  with message loading waypoints,tracks and routes,   and this doesnt happen    nothing else on screen,   this is a garmin refurbished gps,    had many problems with this model before,  thanks.

Apparently this is normal. The unit is essentially looking for 250,000 geocaches that are no longer there and it takes some time to de-index them. Once this is done, future loading/unloading of geocaches won't take so long because you're unlikely to be loading/unloading 250,000 at once.

On 10/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, Burton wanderers said:

Am afraid this isnt normal,  my device still not conneting properly to computer,   and having to take batteries out to switch off.    the last GPS I had sorted in seconds,   thanks for trying to help.

This new indexing will require a minimum of two hours... Connect the GPSr to external power, power it on, walk away....

or

Delete the SQL directory on your GPSr and reboot.

Edited by Atlas Cached