Why would someone do this?

Kilroy-was-ere

I have a geocoin that was placed in Newcastle. Someone took it and carried it round the caches that they visited...the coin is destined for the Champagne region of France.

They kept hold of the coin for a good few months logging it at various caches. I asked them to release the coin into the wild to continue on its journey to France (approx 500 miles away)....so they took it to Finland and placed it there (1500 miles away from its destination!) Why would they do this apart from to annoy me!!

Is my Geocoin page not clear on my intentions for the coin!! Ha ha ha

Annoying?? Yes!

Julie x

Do you have a card attached to the coin stating its mission? A lot of cachers don't seem to read the trackable's pages, so it might just be a matter of not knowing what the goal was.

But ending up in the wrong direction doesn't have to be to a bad situation. The quickest route can be the longest as well. Take for instance your geocoin, it was moved to Finland, but it is also the time of year that a lot of people from other countries go to Finland on their vacation. Look at the positive side: at least it has reached the mainland now, instead of getting stuck within the U.K.

A coin's goal or mission statement is not an order for finders to do what you'd like them to do... it's a request, a wish, a desired intent. The finder is essentially going to do what they choose, there is no rule that states they have to do what you say. Relax, enjoy the journey.

If you wanted the coin to get to France in the quickest and most direct way possible the postal service is there to assist you. If you want it to piggy back on cachers' adventures it's going to take a very round-about and circuitous route. The worst thing a travelling geocoin owner can do is fret about the direction of travel a coin is taking... even in a race... 'coz you have no control over the outcome and will drive yourself crazy thinking that you do.

:D:blink::rolleyes:

Edited by Droo

I try to help out on TB/coin missions but sometimes it doesn't work. Worst case was in Northern Norway where I picked up a coin heading to North Cape, I brought it back with me to Belgium adding 2200 Km to the distance needed to get at it's goal. On the other hand, a TB of mine was set free in Mauritius, it's goal, coming home to me. Just a week later it was in Paris (300 Km to go) it then went to Switzerland and got lost to a cacher who found 10 caches and seemed inactive for a while afterwards. After a few mails the TB was on the road again getting close to Belgium and then to Northern Germany where it now seems lost for good.

I consider a trackable lost once it's set free

Sounds like they were so embarrassed when you pointed out how long they'd been holding it, they decided to do something extra nice for you by taking it somewhere completely different so its route to France would be particularly interesting.

Oh, wait. You're complaining?

A coin's goal or mission statement is not an order for finders to do what you'd like them to do... it's a request, a wish, a desired intent. The finder is essentially going to do what they choose, there is no rule that states they have to do what you say. Relax, enjoy the journey.

If you wanted the coin to get to France in the quickest and most direct way possible the postal service is there to assist you. If you want it to piggy back on cachers' adventures it's going to take a very round-about and circuitous route. The worst thing a travelling geocoin owner can do is fret about the direction of travel a coin is taking... even in a race... 'coz you have no control over the outcome and will drive yourself crazy thinking that you do.

:D:blink::rolleyes:

Exactly as Droo says --- +1

We are happy when we see any of our travelers picked up and released ANYWHERE but into a cacher's collection or the "Lost But Not Found" department ....