After Windows 10 Upgrade can't send GPX geocaches to GPS

After upgrading to Windows 10 I have the problem that the GPX file is not transferring to my GPS.

Here's my procedure so far

• I am using IE11 and have the plugin installed.
  • I click "Send to my GPS", the sending window opens
  • I select my GPS (Garmin by the way).
  • Under devices I select the GPS (or the SD card)
  • Click write.

I then get the words appearing F:/Garmin/GPX/xxxxxxx.GPX (where xxxxxx is the GPX file name). I check the GPS and the GPX file has not transferred. I also searched for the file with the GPS in Geocache mode. No luck.

I have tried two different PC's (both with W10) and two different GPS (Montana and Oregon).

Please any ideas out there.

Also not a premium member so I cant download GPX files

Thanks in advance

If you can't download gpx files why do you think you can transfer them to your GPS?

Prior to the W10 upgrade I was able to click "write" as per the procedure i documented in my posting and the geocache (GPX file) would be sent to the GPS. That is how i used the website to transfer the selected geocaches to my GPS. And i was not a premium member. So it worked then, but not now.

Trying to figure out why it wont work now

If you can't download gpx files why do you think you can transfer them to your GPS?

Prior to the W10 upgrade I was able to click "write" as per the procedure i documented in my posting and the geocache (GPX file) would be sent to the GPS. That is how i used the website to transfer the selected geocaches to my GPS. And i was not a premium member. So it worked then, but not now.

If your not a premium member you should have never received .gpx files, but instead you should have gotten .loc files. The windows upgrade does not change that.

If your not a premium member you should have never received .gpx files, but instead you should have gotten .loc files. The windows upgrade does not change that.

Perhaps i haven't been clear.

Prior to W10 i was able to send geocaches to my GPS by using the procedure i mentioned in the first post. Did you read what i wrote in the post and is that method clear to you?.

Are you saying i cant do that transfer unless i am a premium member? And yet i have been able to so in the past on a W8.1 and W7 PC, as most recently as two weeks ago

Please explain

Edited by walkerdubai

Prior to W10 i was able to send geocaches to my GPS by using the procedure i mentioned in the first post. Did you read what i wrote in the post and is that method clear to you?.

Are you saying i cant do that transfer unless i am a premium member? And yet i have been able to so in the past on a W8.1 and W7 PC, as most recently as two weeks ago

Please explain

.gpx files are a premium member feature. Regular members get .loc files. Perhaps something has changed on the website in the last two weeks.

I guess what the thread is about that the Garmin communicator plugin causes many problems for many users under W10 (there are other threads about this topic too).

I do not have any advice for the OP but I understand what his problem is.

Problem Solved (to a certain degree)

It seems Chrome and IE11 will not send Geocaches to the GPS when your OS is W10. Firefox however does work, at least in my case.

Go through the process of installing the plug in when using Firefox. You will get a message saying the plugin is not supported. Ignore that. Make sure Firefox is set as your default browser. Do this in Control Panel, Default Programs. Using the W10 default programs interface does not make the default selection stick.

Persist and click write. In some cases Firefox will ask if you want to run the plugin. Say yes.

It seems you only have make Firefox the default program once. After a successful transfer you can then switch your default browser back to your choice, Chrome in my case. It seems to work fine after that as long as you use Firefox to transfer the geocache.

Good luck

To use Communicator in Chrome:

1. Make Chrome the default browser.

2. Enable NPAPI in Chrome by pasting this in the Chrome search window:

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

3.click on enable npapi then click relaunch at lower left.

4. Install communicator

After upgrading to Windows 10 I have the problem that the GPX file is not transferring to my GPS.

Here's my procedure so far

• I am using IE11 and have the plugin installed.
  • I click "Send to my GPS", the sending window opens
  • I select my GPS (Garmin by the way).
  • Under devices I select the GPS (or the SD card)
  • Click write.

I then get the words appearing F:/Garmin/GPX/xxxxxxx.GPX (where xxxxxx is the GPX file name). I check the GPS and the GPX file has not transferred. I also searched for the file with the GPS in Geocache mode. No luck.

I have tried two different PC's (both with W10) and two different GPS (Montana and Oregon).

Also not a premium member so I cant download GPX files

Thanks in advance

I am having the same problems and I AM a premium member- After they said we could no longer add from Chrome because of NPPPP problem- I could still add with IE- since the change to windows 10-I can no longer add single GC sites-I can do PQ transfers-however sometimes you just want to add one new site and don't want to do the PQ. I hope this gets solved soon as it has taken all the fun out of the game for me. I have used my cell phone but find I am often in areas where I get no reception so I just like to load my GPS for a certain area with a few GC sites as I know I will be driving through.

Please any ideas out there.

Edited by Edesiree

I have the same problem. Upgraded to Windows 10. Same problem with IE11. And of course MS Edge, Firefox and Chrome are not compatible with app. I am a premium member but not super computer savy so not sure how to transfer GC sites to my Garmin etrex 30. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I have it working with Opera so problem solved for now. :-)

I have the same problem. Upgraded to Windows 10. Same problem with IE11. And of course MS Edge, Firefox and Chrome are not compatible with app. I am a premium member but not super computer savy so not sure how to transfer GC sites to my Garmin etrex 30. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I have it working with Opera so problem solved for now. :-)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334716&pid=5535732&st=0entry5535732

reading through this thread helped me figure out how to transfer individual geocaches, without having to do a PQ everytime a new one came on line.

Its certainly not as slick as it once was, but it works. Forget the whole "send to GPS scenario.

Hi!

You can still use "Send to GPS" in Windows 10 to transfer individual geocaches into your GPSr. You have to use IE11 ( still found in Windows 10 ) and you have to define geocaching.com as a trusted website.

1. Make sure you have the latest Garmin Communicator Plugin installed

2. Open IE11 ( Start => All apps => Windows Acessories => Internet Explorer )

3. Tools => Internet options => Security tab => Trusted sites ( green check mark ) => Sites

4. Click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box

5. Add www.geocaching.com as a trusted site

6. Close => OK => restart the browser

Now it should work.

Edited by Lilski

Hi!

You can still use "Send to GPS" in Windows 10 to transfer individual geocaches into your GPSr. You have to use IE11 ( still found in Windows 10 ) and you have to define geocaching.com as a trusted website.

3. Tools => Internet options => Security tab => Trusted sites ( green check mark ) => Sites

4. Add https://www.geocaching.com as a trusted site

5. Close => OK => restart the browser

Now it should work.

You are a genius.....Many Many thanks- All this talk about how things were in the "good old days" i don't think geocaching would be as big as it is today if wasn't as simple- I know I have been somewhat discouraged- Your information has been a huge help to making it simple again.

Yahoo

You are a genius.....Many Many thanks- All this talk about how things were in the "good old days" i don't think geocaching would be as big as it is today if wasn't as simple- I know I have been somewhat discouraged- Your information has been a huge help to making it simple again.

Yahoo

When I first started, I had to transfer cache information using proprietary formats for either the Garmin or Magellan units I owned. This required either a third party cache manager (for groups of caches) or the communicator (for single caches). Today, with units that support GPX files, I do not have to worry about either. I just copy or save the file into the proper folder (garmin/GPX on my device) and am good to go. Generally, there is not even a need to hook up a computer since I search, manage, and transfer caches with my iPhone or iPad - it makes travel a lot lighter. So things have become remarkably simpler, which has probably contributed to the growth of the game. By all means, keep it simple.

Edited by geodarts

Hi!

4. Click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box

Now it should work.

Thank you!

This fixed a puzzling problem mentioned here (and it's the same thing the OP in this thread saw, I think): http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334724&view=findpost&p=5535026

The OP in that thread said "Send To GPS" went through the motions, yet no file arrived. I tried it myself, and duplicated the problem. The above steps fix it!

I had a leetle issue logging back into Geocaching.com -- the above procedure caused me to be logged out, yet undo it and I'm still logged in. Weird. I had success with the "Sign In" page: https://www.geocaching.com/login/

So it is currently possible to get Send To GPS to function in IE11 and Windows 10. It looks like there are several other threads with the same issue as these OPs had. Get the word out about what they may try (the Trusted Site setting).

Edited by kunarion

To use Communicator in Chrome:

1. Make Chrome the default browser.

2. Enable NPAPI in Chrome by pasting this in the Chrome search window:

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

3.click on enable npapi then click relaunch at lower left.

4. Install communicator

This will indeed fix issues with addins for Chrome for a brief period however with the forthcoming Chrome upgrade they are completely removing ALL support for NPAPI addins. Thus within a few months using Chrome won't be an option for using the communicator and lots of other similar features. This abandoning of NPAPI plugins along with their disabling of AdBlocker and AdBlockerPlus on Google websites eg: YouTube is why I've now uninstalled Chrome.

Please explain

.gpx files are a premium member feature. Regular members get .loc files. Perhaps something has changed on the website in the last two weeks.

When a non-premium member views a geocache page on geocaching.com the GPX File button is disabled, but if you have a browser capable of using the old Send to My GPS function and a GPS capable of loading GPX files, a GPX file (without description, hint, images etc. but including cache size, terrain and difficulty) is written to the GPS.

So (crippled) GPX files are available to non-premium members. And they do contain a little more information than LOC files.

/Mogens

Hi!

Now it should work.

Thanks. Works for me.

James

You ARE definitely a genius!!! Now, I am send to my gps as before I got Win 10. Thank YOU so much!!! :))

Hi!

4. Add https://www.geocaching.com as a trusted site

5. Close => OK => restart the browser

Now it should work.

Yahoo

After discovering that none of my individually downloaded caches that I processed before traveling abroad were stored in my Oregon 600, I've been trying to discover the source of the problem. I spoke with Garmin at length with no solution and finally came across this forum and the thread. The final solution--adding geocaching.com to my trusted websites--seems to allow me now to save individual caches once more. Ain't technology wonderful???

After Google Chrome and then Firefox stopped supporting Garmin Communicator, I was forced to go back to Internet Explorer to load caches into my Oregon 550, but found to my horror that it wouldn't work on the laptop we have running Windows 10. After a couple of days searching the internet for a solution, I came across the one listed here, and am very pleased to report that I'm back in business. Very many thanks to the person who posted the solution: I'm raising a glass in your direction, kind Sir (or Lady)! :smile:

Hi!

Now it should work.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. With your post, I was able to get my GPS to work.

A few days ago ran into Firefox suddenly not accepting Garmin Communicator as an plug-in in Win 10 (v. 1511). After messing with it for a while, I went to Firefox add-ons, then found 'Garmin Communicator v 4.1.0.1-signed' on the Firefox list. It loaded fine and now I can 'write' directly to my Garmin 64s from a cache page.

I didn't read every work of every post above, so if this was addressed before I apologize.