A New Daily Record

OK.. It won't set the world on fire, but we got a new daily cache record of 40 finds yesterday. An increase on our previous best of 25, and what a lovely day doing it. High up on the Kerry Ridgeway breaking our Geocaching Record.

Read the full story on our weblog: Geocaching Records on the Kerry Ridgeway

Just thought I'd share it with you as the route is highly recommended and we're quite pleased with our new record too.

Al.

My best day was 33. It was at a mega event, and I spent the entire day out on trails with several other geocachers from my area. One of the best geocaching days I've ever had, mainly because I was in such good company.

I tend to focus on quality and scenery, so a big numbers run for me would be 20 in a day.

It's all about the places that caches take us too as well rather than the numbers, but the numbers count as well... I don't think we'd do a series just to beat a record number of caches in a day if it weren't somewhere nice. The ones that took us to the 40 caches were along the Kerry Ridgeway, an ancient drovers route from Wales to the Market Towns of England with some absolutely amazing views.

Got ourselves a few more caches yesterday as well. Only 10, but we gained the 'Lets Get Extreme' Souvenir for the Summer Road Trip which was good, and once again had some nice views of the Cardigan Bay coastline. Blog post and photos from this trip here: http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2015/more-geocaching-records-in-aberaeron-and-aberarth/

Who knows, we might be able to beat our monthly record this month as well - it currently stands at 76, from August last year. :)

Al.

Edited by forcesofnature

My highest was 130 in a day during a Mega event last summer.

102 of those were found on a bicycle in 3 1/2 hours.

130!! That's mad.... Isn't the record something like 1000 in a day though - I don't even know how that's possible and I'm sure it can't be fun!

Al.

That's a can of worms that is best not opened in this nice thread.

OK.. It won't set the world on fire, but we got a new daily cache record of 40 finds yesterday. An increase on our previous best of 25, and what a lovely day doing it. High up on the Kerry Ridgeway breaking our Geocaching Record.

Just thought I'd share it with you as the route is highly recommended and we're quite pleased with our new record too.

Al.

Fantastic! Congrats on the new personal record.

Our personal best is 15 finds in one day, and that involved a lot of driving. Wish I had thought to keep track of the mileage.

Your blog post is great, too. Lovely photos. Looks like a beautiful location and you had such great weather.

We've done some bicycle-caching, so I've got some grand plans to improve our personal best using pedal-power. Will have the gps set to record the mileage when we attempt such a feat.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Al.

Fantastic! Congrats on the new personal record.

Our personal best is 15 finds in one day, and that involved a lot of driving. Wish I had thought to keep track of the mileage.

Your blog post is great, too. Lovely photos. Looks like a beautiful location and you had such great weather.

We've done some bicycle-caching, so I've got some grand plans to improve our personal best using pedal-power. Will have the gps set to record the mileage when we attempt such a feat.

B.

Glad it's not just me!

Obviously, the more one finds in a day, the lower the average difficulty ratings (I don't know if I'd count terrain ratings since there are things like river trails where folks can grab a bunch of T5 caches in a kayak in a day). I'd be interested to find out folks' personal records for D5 caches in a day.

According to Groundspeak's stats, my "best day" (their term) is 60 caches. It was fun, but...

According to me, many of my best days have been either 1 find or 1 DNF. Or occasionally, 1 hide.

I remember a few years ago someone posting about finding several hundred caches in a day along farm roads near Denver. I followed up that I wouldn't trade for those several hundreds finds for the one cache I found the same day. The cache I found was at the entrance to a national park in Tanzania.

WoW...Those numbers throughout the thread are amazing!!

Yesterday was day 1 for me and I found 3 :)

I'm off for day 2 today.

Not sure if I can ask this question here on this thread, so a mod can delete if necessary.....I know there is an icon for "winter" accessible, however is this more of a spring to fall type of hobby (hopefully that word didn't offend anyone).

Congratulations on beating your record! Love that feeling of accomplishment! By your blog entry, looks like it was a highlight for you.

I see there are the beginnings of negativity in this thread towards those who enjoy collecting numbers, which is too bad. There are lots of different ways to play this game, and shame on anyone who holds this condescending view towards one of them. I enjoy both the days where I find lots of caches ("imaginative" or not) and the days where I find a few.

Just relax! Everyone is in it to have fun their own way. :)

Personal best for me (and yes, it is "best") was 290 caches on a day this spring near Medicine Hat.

Cheers!

I see there are the beginnings of negativity in this thread towards those who enjoy collecting numbers, which is too bad. There are lots of different ways to play this game, and shame on anyone who holds this condescending view towards one of them. I enjoy both the days where I find lots of caches ("imaginative" or not) and the days where I find a few.

When one posts to a forum, they should realize that others may have a different view.

Rue the day when everyone agrees with everything, as then forums would only be about bolstering one's ego. :)

When one posts to a forum, they should realize that others may have a different view.

Rue the day when everyone agrees with everything, as then forums would only be about bolstering one's ego. :)

You can have and share your different view without being rude or condescending though.

You can share your view without making it yet another bickerfest about large numbers caching.

I know there is an icon for "winter" accessible, however is this more of a spring to fall type of hobby (hopefully that word didn't offend anyone).
A lot depends on where you are. Here in coastal California, there isn't as much of a difference between seasons as in other places, so geocaching happens year round. And in some hotter climates, outdoor activities like geocaching are more popular during winter, since it's too hot to spend much time outdoors during their summer.

Every one has there own version of fun with this game. Some days I go for just a few, one or three. Then others ten or twenty, my best was 52 in one day.

Then last year I went on a 26 mile bike ride and nailed 176. I won't do that again I was not quite in shape for it.

Now I and another geocacher are playing leapfrog in the cacherstats. I think that a few others had been also for a while.

Numbers are the most common way to keep score. Like it or not that is a big thing in this game quantity of hides and finds.

To each his own. But to those that hide we also go for quality of the hide. This adds some spice to the numbers.

Lets all just have fun. B):grin::grin:

Some days we go for records, quite often it is the fact that we might be beating a record that motivates my 10 year son off of the computer and out of the house - It's not just about the numbers for me, but if it helps get him out geocaching then that has to be a good thing. If I ask him if he wants to walk up a big hill with me he wouldn'twant to come. If I say I've found a series of caches that might help us break this record or that record and it just so happens to involve walking up a big hill then he's more likely to want to come.

Other days we might go for a 5/5 cache which usually takes a fair bit of effort for a single cache, the fact that it's a 5/5 iwll motivate him to do it though. Each has its merits and each is good fun, brings the family together and usually takes us to places we've never been before.

Other days still I might head off for a 100 mile bike ride and not do a single cache - It's not all about the numbers, it's not even all about geoaching, it's just about getting out there and having fun for us and often geocaching helps with that aim however we happen to be playing the game that day. What matters to me is that we get a memorable day from it and the most memorable are those that are particularly difficult, terrain or difficultly wise, those days where we challenge ourselves to beat a record or those days where the caching takes us somewhere spectacular.

Having now got our daily record of 40 as metioned in the OP, we are challenging ourselves to beat out monthly record this month too... The 40 in a day got us off to a good start and the Road Trip souvenirs have added a few more. We're up to 59 caches found so far this month now and have a target of 77. Again, not very high numbers in comparison to many, but it keeps us motivated. I don't want to completely smash our record though as we'll be wanting to beat it again sometime soon! :)

Al.

Most finds in a day for me was 110. That was a paved rail trail in a scenic area teamed with two other people to minimize search time. I doubt I'd ever match that number again.

A typical caching day for me is about 20 finds. I spend the whole day caching, mostly visiting parks.

My 'best' caching days are not total finds, but a low percentage of DNFs. Those can feel frustrating. I don't leave throwdowns either, especially since it is often still there even though I can't find it. I'm notorious for DNFing GRIMs.

Most finds in a day for me was 110. That was a paved rail trail in a scenic area teamed with two other people to minimize search time. I doubt I'd ever match that number again.

A typical caching day for me is about 20 finds. I spend the whole day caching, mostly visiting parks.

My 'best' caching days are not total finds, but a low percentage of DNFs. Those can feel frustrating. I don't leave throwdowns either, especially since it is often still there even though I can't find it. I'm notorious for DNFing GRIMs.

We had three DNFs on Saturday - one was probably missing, one seemed to be on the wrong side of some No Trespassing signs so we'd like clarification before we attempt, and one was a potential FTF but the cache owner had moved the cache without updating the coordinates so we couldn't find it. We still had 12 finds, including two terrain 5s in our canoe, two multis, and a puzzle, so all-in-all it was a good day. But those DNFs will bug me!

Should the best count on a single day be for a single person be the most I found on my own on that single day?
Ignoring the philosophical question, as a purely practical matter, the system doesn't distinguish between "found on my own" and "found with someone else". And then there's the difference between "found with someone else" using the three musketeers method, vs "found with someone else" using the huckle buckle beanstalk method. So whatever your philosophical bent, unless you want to track caches you've logged as "found", you'll need to track those distinctions on your own.
Should the best count on a single day be for a single person be the most I found on my own on that single day?
Ignoring the philosophical question, as a purely practical matter, the system doesn't distinguish between "found on my own" and "found with someone else". And then there's the difference between "found with someone else" using the three musketeers method, vs "found with someone else" using the huckle buckle beanstalk method. So whatever your philosophical bent, unless you want to track caches you've logged as "found", you'll need to track those distinctions on your own.

And that doesn't get into how one might define "a single day". Is that a single calendar day or 24 hours spanning two calendar days?

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

A single day is a calendar day. Personally, I won't accept any other definition.

Early on, I noticed I was finding 32 caches on most Saturdays. That number stuck with me over the years, so I now call it "quota".

When I think of daily records, I split them into a few categories: solo, team, power caching, and accidental (as in you weren't going for a record; it just happened). Personally, I value the accidental solo non-power caching category combination above all else. That, I think, is the measure of a person, to set a personal best solo caching when he or she isn't even trying to do so, just caching normally.

A single day is a calendar day. Personally, I won't accept any other definition.

Early on, I noticed I was finding 32 caches on most Saturdays. That number stuck with me over the years, so I now call it "quota".

When I think of daily records, I split them into a few categories: solo, team, power caching, and accidental (as in you weren't going for a record; it just happened). Personally, I value the accidental solo non-power caching category combination above all else. That, I think, is the measure of a person, to set a personal best solo caching when he or she isn't even trying to do so, just caching normally.

Personally, I think the number of caches found on a single day is dictated more by the number of available caches rather than a measure of the person. Try finding 32 caches a day in a country which has fewer than 10 caches in the entire country.

Personally, I think the number of caches found on a single day is dictated more by the number of available caches rather than a measure of the person.

Depends on the person. Not long ago we did a longer multi (30 Km) with 18 WPs. Each WP (virtual) also had a cache at the same coordinates + there were more traditionals along the way. At the end of the tour we logged just 3 caches instead of 25+. We didn't feel like reaching to the ground and lifting a stone just to log a micro.

It's not because they are there you have to log just anything along the way.

My highest number of caches in a day was around 60. That day, I was going for a large number of different types of caches in a single day. It started with a biking Event Cache, where we went after fifty Mystery Caches (geoart, WSU logo, Pullman, WA) along the Bill Chipman trail. During the event, there was a CITO Cache halfway along the trail. Also along the trail, we got a Traditional Cache and a Multi-Cache. After the event, I got the Webcam Cache and a Letterbox Cache in town. Then, over to Idaho for a Virtual Cache, and an Earthcache.

Skye.

This has me thinking about looking at my stats and seeing how I did in the 'other' categories rather then just however many in a day.

I have a few 50+ days, all with at least one other person. My best day is with 3 others on a bike trail when we got 207. Days with just a few are good too!

However another 'best day' was last week with my two dogs, and my nephew(7) and niece(5) their first time out caching, we found 16 and had to climb a couple trees to do 2 of those, DNF'd 2 and checked on 5 of my own all while having fun! And not on a trail.

A "best day" depends upon what restrictions you impose. You could have a best day when driving at least eight hours on a highway, best biking day, best hiking day in parks for regular-size caches, best day of finding terrain 4+ caches, best day when mysteries are only counted, best day in this state/province, best evening after work, best hour running down a trail, etc. Here's an interesting self challenge I came up with while writing this post: the most unique cache attributes you found in a day. Or what about your best day in finding others' first placed cache? What about the most trails your dog would suffer being on with you before s/he called it quits?

NYPaddleCacher: My quota number was based on an average find yield within that particular area. One's choice of city, rural, or country caching can all affect the average yield. 32 as an average worked well in my particular area in 2006, and it kept me in the game when I would have otherwise stopped at, say, 28. Other times, I went for clearing out a particular part of the map. It also gave me an excuse to say I had done enough if I wanted to be lazy for the rest of the day. The point of the quota number was only to keep me caching when I would have otherwise wanted to be lazy. (Same thing with maintaining my absurdly long cache-a-day streak.) These days, I don't particularly care how many I do in a weekend (due to my travel-caching trips).

I believe the bottom line is this: use a best day--however you want to define it--to enhance your enjoyment of geocaching and keep you in the game for just a little bit longer when you would have otherwise thought you had reached your limit. Improve. Vary the rules for a best day to keep things interesting and adapt them to wherever you find yourself. Since it's a competition with yourself, come up with some wacky rules just to keep things interesting. In the end, it's only the memories you make and the satisfaction with what you did that matter.

I just received notice that someone had found one of my caches back in October (the attached photo shows that s/he did fid it.) I figured I'd look through his/her finds to see what else was found nerby. Over 700 pages later... The cacher had logged over 14000 finds in 12 days! Unless my math is bad, that's over 1100 caces per day for twelve days!

That has to be some sort of record! Yes, most were power trails in Nevada/California.

Must have been a big bicycle. :)

Good one!

My best was 79 a couple of years ago, when I was working on getting at 1000 caches in one year. I reached that goal, but felt burned out after that, and only got 207 in the entire next year. Right now, I'm deciding whether or not to get 6 more this year, to reach a total of 4000. Probably won't make it, as we have about 9" of snow on the ground. Which also makes me happy!