battery level on a garmin gpsmap 64s

If you can't find it elsewhere, page 7 of the manual says you can set one of the customizable data fields to "Battery Level" which will show "The remaining battery power." Use at your own risk, I don't know that battery drainage is linear. You would be well served to always have spare batteries available.

You can also show the battery meter by using the user defined field facility on most pages

I have the meter on the trip screen.

Hit menu> change data fields then scroll to the battery meter press enter then the quit button. Job done

BTW the battery meter is not that accurate. I use the rechargeable Garmin eneloop/ long shelf life battery pack . The batteries stay in and I charge via USB. Charge lasts about 12 hours but the meter goes from full to half in less that an hour. I have two sets of batteries as others suggest

You can also show the battery meter by using the user defined field facility on most pages

I have the meter on the trip screen.

Hit menu> change data fields then scroll to the battery meter press enter then the quit button. Job done

BTW the battery meter is not that accurate. I use the rechargeable Garmin eneloop/ long shelf life battery pack . The batteries stay in and I charge via USB. Charge lasts about 12 hours but the meter goes from full to half in less that an hour. I have two sets of batteries as others suggest

You also need to select your battery type in the setup menu in order for the meter to be accurate. With my system setting at NiMH I have found the battery meter to be pretty accurate.

This is true to an extent

First up I used MiNh individual batteries. Yes accurate and you select the batt type. But you have to take out batts every time

I then bought the ganged pair of Garmin batteries also'NiMh' .

When inserted the little black switch in the batt compartment is pushed and the battery choice disappears.

The meter is not so accurate, see above, but you can charge via usb. With bats in. The Garmin batteries have obviously different characteristics

Told Garmin about the problem.

Tech dept came back with the standard " do a reset"!

This is true to an extent

First up I used MiNh individual batteries. Yes accurate and you select the batt type. But you have to take out batts every time

I then bought the ganged pair of Garmin batteries also'NiMh' .

When inserted the little black switch in the batt compartment is pushed and the battery choice disappears.

The meter is not so accurate, see above, but you can charge via usb. With bats in. The Garmin batteries have obviously different characteristics

Told Garmin about the problem.

Tech dept came back with the standard " do a reset"!

Ah. I would not have expected to see a difference between Garmin's NIMH battery pack and standard AA-NIMH. And I didn't catch that you were using Garmin's proprietary battery pack.

My understanding is that these eneloop ,aka as low self discharge NiMh batteries Have a lower capacity.

I recall that my old regular batteries had a capacity of c2500 milliamp hours. The Garmin's have just 2000 .

They just call them " rechargeable NiMh " but they do in their info say they will stay charged for long periods, which is not the case with regular NiMh

If Garmin are baseing their meter on the old type for their new ones then I guess the linear discharge scale will be and is all wrong

Do they understand that? No

Have the been told ? Yes

Have they done anything........

My understanding is that these eneloop ,aka as low self discharge NiMh batteries Have a lower capacity.

There are several different types of Eneloops.

The original ones had 2000 mAh capacity.

The Eneloop XX have 2500 mAh capacity. That is what I use in my GPSMAP 62s and Oregon 600, as both of these devices are harder on batteries than my eTrex 20.