Geocaching Rules

I'll start this out as I'm new to Geocaching. I love it so far and in the last couple weeks have almost hit my first 100, and will hit that number by weeks end.

Being new to this, I have to admit to a fairly steep learning curve, especially concerning rules, mores and standard etiquette. I did what I'm assuming most Newbe's do, signed up for the free app and found my first couple of caches. I did go to the website first and looked up the basics, watched a couple videos and then forged on. I was intrigued and enjoyed the hunt, so I got the premium app, and then signed up as a premium member. I looked around the website to answer a few questions I had in the "Geocaching 101" area, but I have to say it was lacking on real advice or direction.

Here's what I'm surprised about. Because I'm kind of an anal type, I want to log all the caches around my home. I want to be surrounded by nothing but happy faces. I'm starting to realize that'll only partially come true, but I digress. In this process I got frustrated with some caches that seem to have been abandoned and forgotten. When I see a couple DNF's and no finds for over a year in a busy urban area (where most caches have many finds per month), kinda makes you wonder. Not knowing how I should proceed (even after looking it up), I decided to post a needs maintenance. When nothing happened I posted a needs archive. I got told off by a CO that I was a newbe, I wasn't supposed to do things that way, and finally if I was a better (more experienced) cacher I would have probably found it. I get where they were coming from. I also now realize my misstep. I should DNF, and then wait a while and see what happens, maybe even go look a couple more times, then post a NM. Again wait and see what happens. Maybe send the CO a note (well over half the correspondence I send through the web site never gets a response) and again wait a month or so. Finally if nothing changes, then send a NA.

This is a long winded rant/story leading up to Geocachig Rules. Where are the "rules?" I've looked on the site, but I can't find them. The closest I see is 101, but that's lacking for how I should handle lots of things including the correct way to log, which I've only learned by haunting the forums. I've now read about CO's complaining about Newbe's just like me for doing things wrong and making the game less enjoyable, but how do I do things right if there's not an easy straight forward place to go to to learn how, what, when and were to do it "right."

My real point is I like this game. I want to be a good steward and have fun. Help me do what's right, but for other Newbe's like myself, make it easy to find the correct procedures, don't have them buried where they aren't easy to find.

Thanks for any advice, but more importantly, thanks for participating in a great pastime.

John, jchilds9782

John, here's a piece of friendly advice to a self-described 'newbie'.

Don't worry about filing NM's.

That Cache Owner who told you off was making a point that probably got lost in what you perceived as hostility, and that is that if YOU can't find a cache, don't assume it isn't there. I've been doing this for five years, and I stink at it. I file LOTS of DNF's, but it would never occur to me to file a NM or a NA log just because I can't find it. Remember, the point of this is that some of these are hidden very well, and unlike Pokemon (as my kid tells me) you're not SUPPOSED to catch 'em all.

Enjoy the ones you find, and also enjoy the ones you don't. Hopefully, you'll become the type of cacher that appreciates the hunt as much as the smilie. At some point, you'll find yourself going back to an old DNF that you spent hours hunting, and spot it from the car as you drive up. Duh! Happens all the time.

So don't, as you say, file a "DNF, and then wait a while and see what happens, maybe even go look a couple more times, then post a NM. Again wait and see what happens. Maybe send the CO a note (well over half the correspondence I send through the web site never gets a response) and again wait a month or so. Finally if nothing changes, then send a NA."

In the hobby, that's called being a "Cache Cop", and that will make you very unpopular. Could partially explain why, as you say, most of your correspondences go unanswered. NM logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) there's a problem, and NA logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) that a cache should be delisted from the site.

Your skills will improve (can't wait 'till mine do!) and you'll find more of them. So good luck with 'clearing your neighborhood', but you must acknowledge that it will happen over time, as you get better.

And, of course, welcome to the hobby.

...Bill

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

I'll start this out as I'm new to Geocaching. I love it so far and in the last couple weeks have almost hit my first 100, and will hit that number by weeks end.

Being new to this, I have to admit to a fairly steep learning curve, especially concerning rules, mores and standard etiquette. I did what I'm assuming most Newbe's do, signed up for the free app and found my first couple of caches. I did go to the website first and looked up the basics, watched a couple videos and then forged on. I was intrigued and enjoyed the hunt, so I got the premium app, and then signed up as a premium member. I looked around the website to answer a few questions I had in the "Geocaching 101" area, but I have to say it was lacking on real advice or direction.

Here's what I'm surprised about. Because I'm kind of an anal type, I want to log all the caches around my home. I want to be surrounded by nothing but happy faces. I'm starting to realize that'll only partially come true, but I digress. In this process I got frustrated with some caches that seem to have been abandoned and forgotten. When I see a couple DNF's and no finds for over a year in a busy urban area (where most caches have many finds per month), kinda makes you wonder. Not knowing how I should proceed (even after looking it up), I decided to post a needs maintenance. When nothing happened I posted a needs archive. I got told off by a CO that I was a newbe, I wasn't supposed to do things that way, and finally if I was a better (more experienced) cacher I would have probably found it. I get where they were coming from. I also now realize my misstep. I should DNF, and then wait a while and see what happens, maybe even go look a couple more times, then post a NM. Again wait and see what happens. Maybe send the CO a note (well over half the correspondence I send through the web site never gets a response) and again wait a month or so. Finally if nothing changes, then send a NA.

This is a long winded rant/story leading up to Geocachig Rules. Where are the "rules?" I've looked on the site, but I can't find them. The closest I see is 101, but that's lacking for how I should handle lots of things including the correct way to log, which I've only learned by haunting the forums. I've now read about CO's complaining about Newbe's just like me for doing things wrong and making the game less enjoyable, but how do I do things right if there's not an easy straight forward place to go to to learn how, what, when and were to do it "right."

My real point is I like this game. I want to be a good steward and have fun. Help me do what's right, but for other Newbe's like myself, make it easy to find the correct procedures, don't have them buried where they aren't easy to find.

Thanks for any advice, but more importantly, thanks for participating in a great pastime.

John, jchilds9782

Good point about DNF, NM and NA etiquette not being more obvious on the site.

I'm seeing a lot new cachers noticing the state of the database these days and coming to the forums to comment on all of the abandoned caches. Glad it's not just me, I'm an old timer and have been noticing the big growth of abandoned caches. Also the increasing number of cache hiders that expect someone else to take care of their caches. Most caches are abandoned. I'm glad to see that you are willing to post Needs Maintenance and NA logs.

The usual route is to post the DNF. However, if there's already a string of DNFs that go back a couple of months you may as well post the Needs Maintenance. If the cache owner hasn't done anything about the DNFs there's a very good chance they'll do nothing when they get the Needs Maintenance. Give it 3-4 weeks then post the Needs Archive and outline why you feel the cache needs to be archived. I usually say: "The cache needs attention. The cache was regularly found until x months ago but has a string of DNFs recently. The cache owner hasn't responded to the NM I posted on [date]. I'm recommending that the cache be Temporarily Disabled until the cache owner can replace or archive the cache."

But if there is a string of DNFs, and one or two (or more) NMs go ahead and post the NA, again outline the reasons including the string of DNFs and NMs with no response from the cache owner. No point wasting time. Contacting the owner isn't necessary. They are already being contacted each time someone posts a log to their cache listing.

Edited by L0ne.R

So don't, as you say, file a "DNF, and then wait a while and see what happens, maybe even go look a couple more times, then post a NM. Again wait and see what happens. Maybe send the CO a note (well over half the correspondence I send through the web site never gets a response) and again wait a month or so. Finally if nothing changes, then send a NA."

In the hobby, that's called being a "Cache Cop", and that will make you very unpopular. NM logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) there's a problem, and NA logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) that a cache should be delisted from the site.

If there had been DNFs from other cachers in the italicized scenario, I would have no problem doing exactly what's described. That's what anyone should do, regardless of their number of finds. In fact, that's exactly the procedure that's often advised here in the forums: multiple DNFs > not a high-difficulty cache? > NM > wait > No action by co? > NA > reviewer makes decision.

Also, the term "cache cop" is a derogatory term that's almost always misused. Someone with good intentions looking out for the best interests of the game by using preferred methods to deal with potentially-problem caches is not a cache cop; that's a good geocaching community member. I live in a region where NMs and NAs are used liberally and without malice. We have very few "problem" caches as a result and a very healthy and sociable caching community where owners take cache-maintenance seriously. It's too bad more people don't do the same in other regions.

@Jchilds9782: I would actually say "good job". It isn't your fault that the owner didn't take any action after multiple DNFs and an NM. You were just reporting what appeared to you to be a problem, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you did it with the best of intentions. Out of curiosity, do you know if the owner has since checked on it, or are they still just assuming that it's there and a bunch of n00bs just can't find it?

Edited by The A-Team
When I see a couple DNF's and no finds for over a year in a busy urban area (where most caches have many finds per month), kinda makes you wonder. Not knowing how I should proceed (even after looking it up), I decided to post a needs maintenance. When nothing happened I posted a needs archive. I got told off by a CO that I was a newbe, I wasn't supposed to do things that way, and finally if I was a better (more experienced) cacher I would have probably found it.

How long did you wait between DNF, NM, and NA? A few days? A few weeks? And what was the difficulty rating of the cache?

Did you notice above the video on Geocaching 101 the link for the Help Center?
Specifically, some of the articles under the Finding a Geocache section may prove informative, for example:

What should I do if I discover that a geocache has gone missing?

I Found a Geocache that Needs Maintenance

I found a geocache that needs to be archived

And in addition to the advice others have offered, I recommend that you pay attention to the difficulty rating of the cache. Especially "in a busy urban area", a large proportion of caches will be very difficult to find (otherwise they wouldn't survive). One of my Favorites is an "evil hide" with a 4-star difficulty rating. Caches like that may take experienced geocachers multiple trips to find, and it isn't unusual for them to accumulate DNF logs even though nothing is wrong and the cache is right where it's supposed to be.

In the hobby, that's called being a "Cache Cop", and that will make you very unpopular. Could partially explain why, as you say, most of your correspondences go unanswered. NM logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) there's a problem, and NA logs are there for when you KNOW (or strongly suspect) that a cache should be delisted from the site.

Don't let opinions like this put you off expecting cache owners to maintain their caches.

Don't let opinions like this put you off making appropriate use of NM and NA logs.

In my experience it's people slinging critical and derogatory terms like cache cop that contribute to the steady decline of caching standards in the areas the operate in.

We are all cache cops. It isn't derogatory, but for those who get too frustrated with new geocachers or who don't want to take maintenance of their caches and listings seriously.

When someone new makes a "mistake", I would hope the owner has actually gone out and confirmed the cache is missing, rather than assuming it is still there because the last DNF, NM, or NA log came from a "newbie". Even new cachers can get the hang of the game, and we should all be so lucky to keep the same level of scrutiny and objectivity when playing this game as they might have.

To see both sides of the coin, don't be a "pushy" newbie. Be ready to learn, and to communicate with cache owners in a way that makes for a happy resolution. If you insist it is missing via a NA log, you're likely to get some sideways stares from the more experienced crowd. However, there's a chance that the newbie is right, and the cache needs attention. So that's where the flip side is for the cache owner to take a moment and be serious about cache maintenance--go out a check on the cache, restock the swag, sharpen the pencil, drop a new pen, be sure the container is where they intended it to be, etc. And if it's still there and the newbie missed it, offer some help so the new person can learn from the experience.

First, thanks for all the responses. I do really appreciate the supportive advice.

For the cache I suggested as an archive, it has mysteriously disappeared from listings, so I'm guessing they did finally go check and found it missing as I had suggeted. Just a guess, but who knows.

Honestly though, this wasn't the main point to my post. What I really wanted to convey is that in the forums I keep reading about "the rules." I'm actually a very laid back easy going guy who tries to get along with people. I don't want to be a "cache cop," or anything else. I just want to have a good time hunting for caches and solving puzzles along the way. I just want to do it right and not be one of the people who messes things up.

This is where the rules come in. Think about it as if it's your first day... You've never cached, and you get on the site to figure it out. You know nothing other than you know this is a gps hunting game. Go back and peruse "geo 101," and think about it from my perspective. Why would I look any further? Kinda looks like the rules, but lots of info is missing from what I've read about in the forums. If I did look further, what would I find? I've still never found a description of how you should log, when you shouldn't and what you should write.

The real point is if you want new players to have good manners, and to play by the rules they should be the first thing we see. They should be easy to find, and EXACT! The more detailed the better... If I hadn't started purusing the forums I still wouldn't know what I should be doing.

An example, I've been signing the actual logs with my name, John. Never occurred to me that the CO might go grab his log and not see John as jchilds9782, and delete my online log. That would bum me out because I've been to and found everyone I've signed.

After reading the forums I even went back to one cache I found that was missing. I found the wire in the tree where it had been hung (20' from a homeless camp), and there's even a spoiler picture that points to the same location. There wasn't an actual cache there, but I figured I found it so I signed it online. I figured out reading the forums that if I didn't actually find the cache and sign it it doesn't count, so I went back and deleted the log.

Sorry to ramble. I love the game, and would just love to make sure other newbie players don't have the same kind of learning curve I've experienced. Might cut down on some of the caches going missing and the like!

Again, thanks for the supportive advice! Hope I meet some of you on the hunt!

I want to be surrounded by nothing but happy faces.

Don't we all, deep down inside?

As far as the "rules," there are guidelines and accepted practices, but at the end of the day, this is an activity, not a contest. Much of it comes down to personal ethics and integrity, and it varies from person to person.

There is also, as you've pointed out, a learning curve. We were all new at this once, and most have committed some level of geocaching faux pas. I think the site has gotten a little better at putting out the how to videos and links for beginners, but they're not mandatory, nor do I think they should be.

The more detailed the better...
Actually, this isn't necessarily true. For most people, the longer and more detailed the instructions, the less likely they are to actually read them.

Sure, there are always some who want to study and learn everything they can, but most want to just dive in without worrying about all the rules and details and instructions. And it isn't just geocaching. I've seen this pattern in other hobbies and in other situations as well.

The more detailed the better...
Actually, this isn't necessarily true. For most people, the longer and more detailed the instructions, the less likely they are to actually read them.

Sure, there are always some who want to study and learn everything they can, but most want to just dive in without worrying about all the rules and details and instructions. And it isn't just geocaching. I've seen this pattern in other hobbies and in other situations as well.

It's also worth noting that this is an globally played game thus the guidelines and requirements have to be somewhat flexible such that they can be interpreted by reviewers to manage how caches are placed in the diverse environment in which this game is played, while at the same time not full of loopholes and semantic interpretations that would make it a free for all.

Essentially, you'll find "rules" defined in several places. First of all, they're not generally defined as "rules". Instead you'll find the Geocaching LIsting Requirements/Guidelines which describes "requirements" (essentially synonymous with rules) and guidelines for *placing* a cache. As I see it, the difference between a requirement and a guideline is that a requirement is enforceable. For example, there is a requirement that a cache can not be placed less than 528' from the physical cache (or stage in a multi-cache). It's enforceable in that the reviewer will not publish the listing for a cache which is not in compliance with that requirement. Even if you're not going to be hiding any caches it's worth reading, then reading again when you're ready to start hiding.

Then there is the Help Center. The Help Center is chock full of information this is mostly guidelines and is often treated as suggestions or acceptable practices, and "How to" pages. There is a bit of overlap with the Geocaching 101

page. Reading both of those sets of pages will go a long way to an understanding of the generally acceptable manner for how the game should be played.

Finally, there is the Term of Use. That is the closest thing to "rules" as non-compliance could result in revoking your account and even legal action.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

We're CO's on a cache that's not difficult, but for some reason newbies think they should find it. It's a nano, and we've had a whole string of DNF's on it - mostly by people with 10 or less caches. It took us 3 tries to find our first nano - mostly because we had no idea how to find it or what we were looking for. A nano was the only type of cache that would have lasted in this location, and it's at an interesting site.

If there hasn't been a found posting after a few DNF's, we'd head over and check on it. Every time we checked, it was always right where it should have been. We've since made it a premium cache, and upped the difficulty rating. That seems to have fixed the DNF problems. Now, if there are DNF's by experienced cachers, we're more likely to not wait for multiple dnf's.

When we're caching, if we're looking for a cache has a few dnf's and they're by experienced cachers, we would take that under consideration when we're looking. We would probably end up posting a DNF on that after our first search on it. If there are no recent DNF's, we would go back at least one more time to look before we'd post a DNF. We seem to have the most trouble with "easy park & grab." :rolleyes:

We're CO's on a cache that's not difficult, but for some reason newbies think they should find it. It's a nano, and we've had a whole string of DNF's on it - mostly by people with 10 or less caches. It took us 3 tries to find our first nano - mostly because we had no idea how to find it or what we were looking for. A nano was the only type of cache that would have lasted in this location, and it's at an interesting site.

If there hasn't been a found posting after a few DNF's, we'd head over and check on it. Every time we checked, it was always right where it should have been. We've since made it a premium cache, and upped the difficulty rating. That seems to have fixed the DNF problems. Now, if there are DNF's by experienced cachers, we're more likely to not wait for multiple dnf's.

When we're caching, if we're looking for a cache has a few dnf's and they're by experienced cachers, we would take that under consideration when we're looking. We would probably end up posting a DNF on that after our first search on it. If there are no recent DNF's, we would go back at least one more time to look before we'd post a DNF. We seem to have the most trouble with "easy park & grab." :rolleyes:

Curious, would you happen to know if those "newbies" were using the Geocaching (paid) app, or remember if they were new, but premium members?

We were premium members a week after joining (still newbies), so wondering if something else has changed when you added the pmo.

Reason I ask is supposedly the Intro app filters out a cache that has a certain number of DNFs.

Been playing this hobby a while, and I still can't find micros above a 1.5. :laughing:

I consider DNFs totally meaningless unless they're posted by a trusted geocacher. We find caches that allegedly aren't there all the time.

I consider DNFs totally meaningless unless they're posted by a trusted geocacher. We find caches that allegedly aren't there all the time.

I think that's a bit harsh. To me, a DNF is simply "I came, I looked, I did not find." That's it.

I have been baffled by a couple CO's who have deleted my DNFs. What??? Do they think I didn't go there and look?

Six DNF's on a 1/1 might add up to something else.

I think it's truer for Find logs by a basic member after a string of DNFs. I will believe it's really there if a trusted geocacher really did find it.

But if someone posts a DNF it's likely they searched and did not find. They may be inexperienced and didn't realize they were looking for something the size of a pea but they really 'did not find'. As a hider I may want to do as Madav42 did, rethink the listing to help newbies - up the difficulty rating, perhaps be generous and provide a hint that says it's a button nano.

I think the OP had a legitimate question/observation. I am a bit disappointed that the thread seems to have focused almost entirely on the etiquette of NM and NA logs and that it has degenerated to some extent into personal comments. I think the OP should be commended highly for two things:

1) His/her sincere attempt to learn and adhere to proper geocaching etiquette and official rules. Many newbies do not. This is obviously not totally possible since, as this thread demonstrates, much of the "etiquette" part is subjective with many different views.

2) How well-written the original post was. It's a relatively long post free of typos, misspellings and grammar errors. I only wish most cache listings were this well-written. Most are not, especially those of newbies. As geocaching has burgeoned in popularity, the care taken with both cache descriptions and logs has deteriorated significantly.

I think that's a bit harsh. To me, a DNF is simply "I came, I looked, I did not find." That's it.

I have been baffled by a couple CO's who have deleted my DNFs. What??? Do they think I didn't go there and look?

Six DNF's on a 1/1 might add up to something else.

I just mean it does not in any way deter me from looking. I don't consider it evidence that the cache isn't there.

For the most part, the game is pretty simple, and the links that NYPaddleCacher put in post #14 tell you the essentials.

Details of etiquette aren't generally defined, and if you follow this forum, you will see they are often not agreed upon! Many of the threads have heated debates over personal preferences of etiquette, including when to log DNF, NM, NA. It will take time to see what the most common practices are in your area. Even then you may accidently annoy someone. Be polite and you'll get by.

I just mean it does not in any way deter me from looking. I don't consider it evidence that the cache isn't there.

That's certainly a different message than saying that DNFs are meaningless unless they come from a trusted cacher.

I do hope that I'm a trusted cacher but I often happen to do not find caches (which in many cases are at their place) and of course I write DNF logs each time

this happens.

That's certainly a different message than saying that DNFs are meaningless unless they come from a trusted cacher.

I do hope that I'm a trusted cacher but I often happen to do not find caches (which in many cases are at their place) and of course I write DNF logs each time

this happens.

No, it isn't a different message. They are meaningless to me.

It is a different one because "meaningless to me" and "geocacher trusted by me" is not the same

as meaningless and "trusted geocacher". In times when so many cachers hesitate to write DNF logs I think

that this distinction is important.

It is a different one because "meaningless to me" and "geocacher trusted by me" is not the same

as meaningless and "trusted geocacher". In times when so many cachers hesitate to write DNF logs I think

that this distinction is important.

The "with me" is implicit.

For the most part, the game is pretty simple, and the links that NYPaddleCacher put in post #14 tell you the essentials.

Details of etiquette aren't generally defined, and if you follow this forum, you will see they are often not agreed upon! Many of the threads have heated debates over personal preferences of etiquette, including when to log DNF, NM, NA. It will take time to see what the most common practices are in your area. Even then you may accidently annoy someone. Be polite and you'll get by.

My bolded - sounds like one cannot win and even suggests that we should be creeping about, very carefully trying to not annoy anyone. That doesn't sound like fun. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, isn't it? :unsure:

I recently had a cacher who was a newbie going after one of mine. Its a 3.5 D 2.5 T. and the cacher couldn't find it. Write a dnf. Did a message it's still there. Cacher tried again, sent me a Private message. I explained it is rated high for a reason. Tried again saying it took over an hour. Again writes and asks if I am sure it's there. Yes It's there. I suggested he reads the previous logs because sometime I don't mind a little hint that gets buried.

They sent me a picture (private message) of the cache. Yes you found it.

Don't Assume everything is easy.

I recently had a cacher who was a newbie going after one of mine. Its a 3.5 D 2.5 T. and the cacher couldn't find it. Write a dnf. Did a message it's still there. Cacher tried again, sent me a Private message. I explained it is rated high for a reason. Tried again saying it took over an hour. Again writes and asks if I am sure it's there. Yes It's there. I suggested he reads the previous logs because sometime I don't mind a little hint that gets buried.

They sent me a picture (private message) of the cache. Yes you found it.

Don't Assume everything is easy.

This is exactly why I completely disregard DNFs from people I don't know. Sometimes caches are actually difficult to find, even for experienced people.

Also, it's kind of gratifying to find a cache after three or four people have claimed that it isn't there.

My bolded - sounds like one cannot win and even suggests that we should be creeping about, very carefully trying to not annoy anyone. That doesn't sound like fun. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, isn't it? :unsure:

I really don't get your point. The strangest things annoy people and being polite isn't taking out the fun of anything.