Windows 10

Offduty

I have had a Garmin Oregon 550t for quite some time and love it. It has worked great for me until recently when I updated my computer to Windows 10. Now my computer will not load any caches on my GPS even though it recognizes my Oregon 550t. When I try to load one, it shows the cache .gpx but does not say it loaded successfully. Also, I have checked and it says my GPS and computer are up to date. I took my GPS upstairs to my wife's computer, which is still Windows 8, and it downloads fine which probably tells me it has something to do with my downloading Windows 10. Anyone have any solutions, ideas, or fixes, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I have had a Garmin Oregon 550t for quite some time and love it. It has worked great for me until recently when I updated my computer to Windows 10. Now my computer will not load any caches on my GPS even though it recognizes my Oregon 550t. When I try to load one, it shows the cache .gpx but does not say it loaded successfully. Also, I have checked and it says my GPS and computer are up to date. I took my GPS upstairs to my wife's computer, which is still Windows 8, and it downloads fine which probably tells me it has something to do with my downloading Windows 10. Anyone have any solutions, ideas, or fixes, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Not that this is a direct answer to your question, but Windows 10 allows you up to one month to revert back to the previous operating system if you are dissatisfied. I was too hasty to update and used the option provided to set things back to the way they were with 8.1. I'll wait a bit before I update again.

Oy. Your GPS connects as a mass storage device regardless of the operating system. That is completely different than browsers no longer supporting the Garmin Communicator plugin.

Thanks for your reply. I am somewhat computer slow so I am not sure what the second part of your reply meant. Does that mean that because I have Windows 10 neither browser, Edge or IE will support the plugin? Thanks again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Browser makers, starting with Google Chrome, have begun to phase out support for plugins built on the NPAPI platform. Unfortunately, this means most GPS manufacturers' plugins to communicate with websites get disabled. If you use Chrome (and you probably should), these plugins are outright no longer supported. Other browsers including Safari, Firefox, and the dreaded IE block NPAPI plugins by default, but still allow you to turn them back on if you know what you're doing. Maybe someday Garmin will get off their asses and build a new plugin using a modern and supported platform, but until then, you're either stuck using an inferior browser, or for the purposes of geocaching, better off using pocket queries - which you are better off using even if the plugins work.

Although I did not use geocaching plugins, I did run into similar browser plugin deprecation issues yesterday trying to get Netflix working on a Windows 10 upgraded laptop. The convoluted story I finally put together was that MS Silverlight is not supported in Windows 10's Edge Browser, but Silverlight plugins may still work if one reverts to Internet Explorer 11. (But not necessarily for Netflix on a marginal Win 10 laptop on a marginal DSL connection).

I also found the same issue, but BaseCamp does still work. You can download the individual GPX files for each cache or use a PQ.

I agree, it would be great if the plugin was updated to support current technology.

As an experiment, I tried the communicator with Firefox and it worked fine. But with the OP's Oregon, the gpx files can be downloaded and saved directly to the garmin/gpx folder - either as individual files or as part of a pocket query. There really is no need to use the communicator, basecamp, or GSAK just to transfer files to the gpsr. Although I generally use an iPhone app to create and send gpx files, I sometimes transfer them through my windows laptop. Until experimenting, I did not have the plugin installed, do not use basecamp, and have not sent files through GSAK in recent memory. A quick save with the gpx button on the cache page, or copy and pasting a PQ works, for me in Windows 10.

Edited by geodarts