Vacation cache - lying to reviewer

lowca

Dear 3K Finder,

Thank you for your reviewer note, explaining that you visit [distant exotic vacation spot] on a monthly basis. Lucky you!

I see that you have 3,000+ finds in [boring home location], where I assume that you live. But, your finds last week in [distant exotic vacation spot] were the first finds you've ever logged there.

I am placing your cache submission on hold. Once you've demonstrated your ability to maintain this distant cache by finding some more caches on your next monthly visit to [distant exotic vacation spot], I'll be delighted to publish this listing. Post a new reviewer note after your next visit there.

Sincerely,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Community Volunteer Reviewer

Dear 3K Finder,

Thank you for your reviewer note, explaining that you visit [distant exotic vacation spot] on a monthly basis. Lucky you!

I see that you have 3,000+ finds in [boring home location], where I assume that you live. But, your finds last week in [distant exotic vacation spot] were the first finds you've ever logged there.

I am placing your cache submission on hold. Once you've demonstrated your ability to maintain this distant cache by finding some more caches on your next monthly visit to [distant exotic vacation spot], I'll be delighted to publish this listing. Post a new reviewer note after your next visit there.

Sincerely,

Keystone

789ee5cc-1bb0-442e-8c30-74a2a667345c_l.png

Dear 3K Finder,

Sincerely,

Keystone

Dear Mr. Reviewer,

This is 3K Finder's uncle., I am lucky enough to live in a very special, distant exotic vacation spot, and would be glad to perform any necessary maintenance on 3K's new cache here, if you will go ahead and publish it. Any time the cache is not returned to its proper hiding place, I will gladly find which table it was left at, and return it to its rightful spot under the bar.

Yours,

StarvingResortOwner (and uncle of that geo-whatever guy)

And then the reviewer can post another challenge, and then the cacher can post another lie to satisfy the challenge, and so on, and so on.

Heck, that's not even the easiest way to get through the review. The reviewer says that the purported vacation cache owner has to find a bunch more caches "next month" when he visits the area again. Armchair logging will take care of that.

This is a game based on the goodwill of all concerned. Cacher owners are supposed to certify that their cache complies with the current set of Guidelines. Reviewers make a good faith effort to make sure that there aren't any obvious reasons to suspect that the submitted cache listing doesn't comply with the Guidelines, and help the cacher to make the appropriate changes. A cache owner who isn't acting in good faith can achieve their "goal" of getting the cache listed --- at least until the rest of the community steps forward and helps the reviewers by pointing out the problems (through DNFs, NMs, or NAs).

This isn't unique to geocaching. If one of my students comes up to me and says "I can't take the midterm exam tomorrow, my grandma just died" ... I'm probably not going to insist that the student send me a copy of Grandma's death certificate. I'm going to take the student's testimony at face value, until I'm given a reason to doubt it. This is a far more trivial issue, and we get through it by trusting each other --- to a point.

Dear 3K Finder,

Sincerely,

Keystone

SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT, Good job Keystone. Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg