Deleting bogus finds...How do I do it?

I just went thru a log book and compared the entries to the on site log.

It seems I have quite a few bogus claims..(might explain some folks with 20K plus finds)

How do I remove the finds from these folks.

Time to do a little policing of my cache!!

Thanks..RJW

Go to the cache page.

Go to the log(s) you want to delete.

Click "view log".

Click on the red trash can.

You will be asked "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?"

Click "yes" to delete the log.

B.

A worthwhile read:

Log Deletion

We know that sometimes this issue can be contentious. If the other party is being stubborn, ask yourself, "Is this dispute really worth my time?" Try being the bigger person and conceding the point. You may discover that you feel better for doing so. At the very least, it will put the matter quickly behind you.

Translation: "It's just a game"

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.10. Log Deletion

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

[update 13 December 2012]

Logs can be deleted by the owner of the log, by the owner of the listing (the geocache owner) and by site administrators.

Logs that fail to meet stated requirements (such as Found It logs by people who have never found the geocache) or logs that conflict with our Terms of Use Agreement may be deleted.

When a log is deleted, the owner of the log receives an email that generally looks like this:

Subject: Your log has been deleted

Your log for Name of Cache has been deleted by Username.

View this log (log is a link to the deleted log)

Visit Username's profile (Username is a link to the profile of the person who deleted the log)

The deleted log can no longer be seen on the cache listing.

The count associated with that log is decreased.

The log cannot be restored by the log owner or listing owner.

Movements of Trackables associated with logs are not affected by log deletion. If a log is posted, and a Trackable is dropped with that log, deletion of the log will not affect the location of the Trackable.

OWNERS

It is one of your maintenance duties as the geocache owner to monitor quality control of posts to the geocache page. To this end, you have the power to delete logs.

Use your powers carefully. The complete set of logs tells the story of the geocache or that Trackable Item. Once it is deleted, you cannot restore it. You also have the power to permanently encrypt a log, which is a nice alternative to deletion. Logs are the geocacher's history as well.

Many logging errors are simple mistakes. Assume the best and please deal kindly with logs that may be in error: Are they novices using "Found it!" for repeat visits? Are they geocachers entering finds on the wrong geocache page?

If you must, delete a log by using the View This Log link. That link will open the log on its own page. Above the log you'll see a "Delete Log" and a "Permanently Encrypt" button. If you choose to delete, you will be asked "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?" and must click "Yes." Again: once it is deleted, you cannot restore it.

Additional notes:

See our guidelines for Logging of All Physical Geocaches.

If the geocacher has failed to meet logging requirements, please explain your concerns. Politely email the log owner before or immediately after you delete their log. If their log or photos contain spoilers, invite them to edit the log. If you have deleted the log already, invite them to re-log without the spoiler.

Deleting a log removes that log from the logger's history and from their profile. Not even the original author of that text can see it. The associated log count is decreased.

Deleting a "bug drop note" does not affect the Trackable mileage but may affect the log owner's happiness. Be careful.

Obscene and threatening language is a violation of our Terms of Use. The log can be deleted immediately. It may be better not to respond the log owner directly. If you wish, let Groundspeak know by submitting a request for assistance or by visiting www.geocaching.com/help.

Deleting a Needs Maintenance log will not clear the Needs Maintenance attribute from the listing. Log an Owner Maintenance to clear that attribute.

Needs Archived logs are forwarded to reviewers. Deleting the log does not affect this.

Cachers may value their DNFs, Notes, and Needs Maintenance logs, don't assume it's okay to delete them. Those logs are part of their caching history.

If you are a geocache owner and have deleted a log in error, you can contact your local reviewer to restore the log, or you can contact a site administrator by submitting a request for assistance, or emailing www.geocaching.com/help.

If you are a geocacher and you believe that your log was deleted in error, you will have politely emailed the geocache owner requesting that the log be reinstated. If you require further assistance, please email www.geocaching.com/help.

B.

Thanks for the responses so quickly folks.. I appreciate it.

I need to give it a bit of thought & go from there.

I've got 15-20 finds that I can't locate a signature for in the physical log.

It's a cache that's been out since 2001 (GC274C)

In some cases I feel I've been 'used'

Thanks again for your input.. Time for bed.. will check this again in the AM.

..RJW..

..RJW..

Yes, you have been "used" since others are enjoying what you worked to create.

Remember, it may appear they falsely logged it when they didn't. The cacher may have been with part of a team, logging under one name instead of taking up half the log sheet I one visit. Or one cache may have left a throw down, and others have found that. It's happened to me, and I didn't delete those logs, IMO it's a bit unfair, since they genuinely thought they had found the cache. Or perhaps the cachers logged the wrong cache. There's different reasons other than straight up cheating.

And 20,000 isn't a lot if you're dedicated. I met Alamogul who has over 100,000. Just that day he completed about 1000 caches in my city.

Before I delete a log I send the logger am email telling them that there wasn't a physical log in the cache an ask if they may have used a different name or a group name. In 10-14 days if I haven't heard back I delete the log.

Several times I've gotten an email back saying the log was in error and they have deleted it.

Also consider the possibility that the paper log and the on-line log may have considerably different dates. Some cachers store up finds, then log them on-line all at once, sometimes without knowing or without setting the correct find date.

One traditional cache that I was watching, a finder logged several months after I did, but I remembered seeing their name on the paper log. I went and checked my photo of the log, and they had sighed the paper six months before they logged on-line.

Edited by AustinMN

It seems I have quite a few bogus claims..(might explain some folks with 20K plus finds)

Thanks..RJW

I find this highly offensive. I think folks with only 200 finds should keep their mouths shut and learn a bit more about the game before they start in on the senseless attacks.

Thanks..RJW

I find this highly offensive. I think folks with only 200 finds should keep their mouths shut and learn a bit more about the game before they start in on the senseless attacks.

Both numbers are irrelevant. The CO placed the cache in 2001 so perhaps he knows a little about the game. And nobody with 20k finds has claimed the cache as a find since the container was replaced in 2011, and the original log with missing. Numbers mean little and should not be used to measure either experience or honesty.

As to signatures . . . I have never compared them on my caches but have signed logs under three different user names, and used to use my normal signature. Someone who found a cache after me once reported that the only recent signature was an A with a scrawl. Yup. There may be more to the story with any particular signature.

Edited by geodarts

Consider team names as well couples or cachers with children who may signed under one name and logged or split later on.

Also consider that people do change their caching names from time to time (some seem to do it frequently). If a CO looked at the paper log from a cache that I found several years ago, they would not find my current name because I would have signed the name I was using at the time. I would be extremely ticked off if my online log were deleted for that reason.

> I think folks with only 200 finds should keep their mouths shut and learn a bit more about the game

My business is to remind about local context at this forum :) "Only 200 finds" may mean "many finds" in some countries. It's not about numbers, it's about one's attitude I think.

I recently talked to a cacher who logged some of my caches. He used to write his number of finds and add a smiley and (in some cases) "+ photolog". This meant little to me so I asked him whether he actually signed logbooks in containers or not. He replied that geocaching was not about numbers for him so he didn't care of signing logs when there were muggles around (and added one more smiley). He had 10k+ finds. I had less than 1k. Does statistics mean anything in this particular case?

I think that telling cachers with a number of finds below a certain number to keep their mouths shut is at least as offensive as the statement you complained about.

While it is indeed a dangerous thing to do to conclude from missing signatures that the corresponding logs are fake logs, it is certainly true that I have encountered more behaviour that I consider

as strange (such as leaving throw downs, group efforts where one person climbs or solves a puzzle and 10 log etc) among high number cachers than among experienced cachers with a much smaller number of finds.

Thanks..RJW

The OP said "it might explain some some folks, not all folks. Although i could care less, i have have no doubt fudging has gone on with smiley count. I see no reason to be "highly offended" and then on top of that, tell someone to keep their mouth shut.

Edited by Mudfrog

Thanks..RJW

The OP said "it might explain some some folks, not all folks. Although i could care less, i have have no doubt fudging has gone on with smiley count. I see no reason to be "highly offended" and then on top of that, tell someone to keep their mouth shut.

I'm not sure what's so offensive anyway. We all know that questionable logging behaviour (throwdowns, too lazy to sign, container swapping, etc.) happens. Face it, the person using questionable tactics to increase their find count will, by their very nature, have a higher find count. It isn't the cacher with 200 finds that's dropping throwdowns and skipping signing on hordes of caches. If they were, they wouldn't have only 200 finds.

Now, don't confuse the above with saying that all high-number cachers are this way. It's just that the questionable loggers will tend to fall within this group.

Just the other day I found a cache on a country road where you pretty much had to park on the road to make the grab. It was a bison tube attached to a fence and the top was wired permanently to the fence. I took the bottom half that had paper in it to my truck. I was shocked to see it was only the paper explaining what caching was. I signed the back of it and went to replace it. I looked around and ended up finding the small log that was on top of the other paper. I just put it all back and said in my log that I signed the other paper. If many logs later they checked the physical log my signature wouldn't be on it but on the back of the other paper. I decided not to take it back and sign the other log.

Thanks..RJW

I'm not sure what's so offensive anyway. We all know that questionable logging behaviour (throwdowns, too lazy to sign, container swapping, etc.) happens. Face it, the person using questionable tactics to increase their find count will, by their very nature, have a higher find count. It isn't the cacher with 200 finds that's dropping throwdowns and skipping signing on hordes of caches. If they were, they wouldn't have only 200 finds.

Now, don't confuse the above with saying that all high-number cachers are this way. It's just that the questionable loggers will tend to fall within this group.

From my experience it normally is the high numbers cachers with the generic GSAK logs that pass through an area and never sign any logs.

Thanks..RJW

From my experience it normally is the high numbers cachers with the generic GSAK logs that pass through an area and never sign any logs.

I have a lot of low number cachers claiming finds on some of my more difficult finds. Their signatures don't appear in the paper log. Funny all the high number cachers do sign the log. I guess those low number finders have a hard time making the pen work.

..RJW..

Yes, you have been "used" since others are enjoying what you worked to create.

Remember, it may appear they falsely logged it when they didn't. The cacher may have been with part of a team, logging under one name instead of taking up half the log sheet I one visit. Or one cache may have left a throw down, and others have found that. It's happened to me, and I didn't delete those logs, IMO it's a bit unfair, since they genuinely thought they had found the cache. Or perhaps the cachers logged the wrong cache. There's different reasons other than straight up cheating.

And 20,000 isn't a lot if you're dedicated. I met Alamogul who has over 100,000. Just that day he completed about 1000 caches in my city.

Yes. A cacher who thinks before they act. I'm not alone.

Thanks..RJW

I think that they took the time to come to this forum and ask the question which tells me they are interested in getting it right. The only thing senseless here is your comment. Instead of telling them how stupid they are why don't you give them some actual advise. Leave the bullying for the school yard.

I find it incredible how people can say how high number catchers do it I know a few with over 20000 and the hate mail they get is incredible

I'm not a high # guy in finds but have a lot of hides and the nasty logs and emails I have gotten is amazing

If I believe a bogus find has been logged I email them asking for a change in the log

Then it's up to them and I don't do anything else

Over the years I have had a couple of finds that have been deleted by cache owners. I have to admit it upset me a little bit. the first time it happened, the cache owner found a second container near his. He did leave a note on the cache page saying he deleted all the finds on the other container. The other time the find was deleted after 2 years. No reason given. I still to this day remembering that cache. I had spent the night in the State Park and it was the first cache I found the next day.

try sending a note to the logger and see if they reply. They might remember the cache and prove to you they were there by describing it. Its only a game and that's why I never protested to the cache owners that deleted my finds. I would be concerned that someone would delete your cache for deleting their log.

Thanks..RJW

JHolly number of finds should have nothing to do with someone taking care of their own caches as they see fit. I know people with a LOT of finds that do not follow the guidelines. such as signing the outside of a container rather than open the log and sign. That is not signing the log. They just have to hurry so they can get the numbers. This whole original post could have valid reasons for not finding names on a log but telling them to shut their mouth sounds like you may have a guilty conscience to me. Some of the cachers in the forums always say "play the game the way you want to". Well that should apply to cache owners as well. Maybe being strict and polcing their logs IS the way they want to play and that should be fine as well.

~No names will be mentioned~

I checked on one of my caches in Washington this last weekend and swapped out the log and took pictures of the old one and posted it. As I went through the names I saw one that wasn't listed and deleted the log. And today I get a message from a well known cacher up in WA saying I deleted their log. I replied I know them and I did not delete their log. I looked on the cache page and sent a photo of their log still in place from a long time ago.

Then it hit me that if this is true then I just deleted a sock puppet's log of theirs. Oops, sock puppets should sign logsheets too.

Edited by jellis

Before I delete a log I send the logger am email telling them that there wasn't a physical log in the cache an ask if they may have used a different name or a group name. In 10-14 days if I haven't heard back I delete the log.

Several times I've gotten an email back saying the log was in error and they have deleted it.

the best answer yet, that's what I'd do

~No names will be mentioned~

I checked on one of my caches in Washington this last weekend and swapped out the log and took pictures of the old one and posted it. As I went through the names I saw one that wasn't listed and deleted the log. And today I get a message from a well known cacher up in WA saying I deleted their log. I replied I know them and I did not delete their log. I looked on the cache page and sent a photo of their log still in place from a long time ago.

Then it hit me that if this is true then I just deleted a sock puppet's log of theirs. Oops, sock puppets should sign logsheets too.

Okay this is really weird. The cacher contacted me again and admitted they have a sock puppet but did not post that one. They also saw their log and don't understand why they got an email saying I deleted their log if I really didn't do it. Something spooky going on?????