new type of geocache proposed

As far as cache types and cache lists are concerned, I noticed there are multi caches and geotours that peek my curiosity. Multi-caches can be fun, but they are cumbersome to sift through when you are looking for ones that are of a touristic version, from the myriad ones of all kinds... As for geo tours, they provide huge lists of caches for regions. I would like to propose a simple type of cache, a new category if you will, for people that just want to visit, by foot, a district or a small town. Those currently fall within the multi-cache type, but they could have their own type to help looking for them. I can show you two such examples: "Promenade de la Rivière-du-Nord (Ӿ03), GC261GP" and "Multi touristique - Laval, Vieux Ste-Rose, GC60MYN". Both can be done by foot, they make you visit either different historical builings, important sights, interpretation panels in a village, along a boardwalk, etc. It is unfortunate that tourists visiting a village do not find such multi caches easily, and creating a specfic type would go a long way towards blending tourism, geocaching and plain discovery of villages of districts in larger cities.

-I thus suggest the creation of a new type of geocache, with such potential names: tourism multis, discovery, walking tour, or others.

-I think those caches should have between roughly 5 and 15 stages, with pertinent stops along the way (not just another multi of any kind...).

-They should be fairly easy to do, with difficulty and terrain levels on the very easy side. These should be enjoyable for tourists, not hard work for only seasoned geocachers! All should be able do enjoy the experience, and come out of the adventure with a "sure" find!

-It would be a great promotional tool for this activity, and for tourism in general in a region to have an official endorsement by a tourism organisation on each of those caches. They would give pertinence to the cache, and who knows, tourism organizations might also want to propose those caches to the general tourist population!

-Each such cache should at least have an english section to optimize its value, for most people!

Any comment would be most welcome! I don't know how to bring this kind of initiative up to the governing part of geocaching.com, but I would appreciate if this idea made it as far as possible, with anyone bringing it up to anybody that can help. I think this would be a great opportunity for tourists, the geocachers, tourism organizations and our activity's growth!

Les Chnous

Laval, Québec

Canada

I wouldn't go the route of a new 'type' of cache. GeoTours are not a new type of geocache, they are simply a set of geocaches sponsored by an organization that pays Groundspeak to list them (amongst other services). I have done traditional, mystery, and multi-caches that have been part of a GeoTour.

As cerberus1 mentioned, the 'Tourist Friendly' attribute (FYI, GeoTour caches have the GeoTour attribute) should cover the majority of what you are suggesting. Using a Wherigo would also be quite appropriate. Both of these are fairly easy to search for on gc.com.

Another option is a reward trail. These are usually a set of caches that highlight a region, and offer some kind of reward, usually a geocoin or pathtag. While there is a link to a list of reward trails in this forum, that is really the extent of what is done to promote them. Each cache in a reward trail usually contains information on how to qualify for the reward. I have seen towns sponsor some of these.

All of these can be a little problematic. Attributes have a great potential, however not all CO's add attributes to their caches. Also, attributes are a recent addition, and older caches generally have no attributes assigned. Wherigo has limited device support, my opinion is that lots of cachers ignore them because of that. And a reward trail is not advertised well, you have to stumble across a cache in order to find them.

Skye.

I like the option of a "tourist friendly" attribute, and I will use it myself from now on! Hopefully, COs will think of including this attribute to help us choose wisely the caches we want to search as well. On the other hand, a specific cache type awarded to touristic caches, even if it is hard to imagine in the future, would go a long way towards making it more obvious and profitable for all... Something to think about!

Fr those who may now know: What are attributes?

Tourist Friendly attribute:

touristOK-yes.gif

GeoTour attribute:

geotour-yes.gif

Based on a brief discussion in another thread (Lessor Geo Tour or Reward Trail), the use of "GeoTour" is reserved for official tours. I understand and agree. So, how about adding a "Reward Trail" attribute?

I see two concerns with a 'Reward Trail' attribute. One is about maintenance of the attribute, and the other deals what caches would get the attribute.

I took a look at a number of caches that are part of a former GeoTour. I'm fairly certain that they used to contain the GeoTour attribute, because I used to pester Groundspeak about GeoTour caches that did not have the attribute, and they kindly updated them. When I look at these prior GeoTour caches, they do not have the GeoTour attribute. My hunch is that Groundspeak removed the GeoTour attribute when the GeoTour was over. It would be incumbent on the CO's of a reward trail to remove the 'Reward Trail' attribute when it is no longer valid. Frankly, seeing how many caches are abandoned by their owners in my region, I don't this happening with any consistency.

The second concern is that some reward trails include any cache within a region. The reward trail might consist of these 10 specific caches, plus any 20 caches within 10 miles of the town Post Office. So, the 10 caches might have the attribute, but what about the other 127 caches within the 10 mile radius? A PQ might find the 10, but these are not enough to actually get the reward.