The Seven Wonders of New jersey

lostinjersey

I was doing some investigating into unusual things in NJ (What are the odds) when I came across a book titled The Seven Wonders of NJ. I don't have it in my hands yet, (it's on request) but apparent someone decided to create a list of majestically beautiful spots in NJ and came up with seven. I only know of a handful, none of which are confirmed: the delaware water gap & high point state park, sunfish lake (which may or may be part & parcel of the delaware water gap), the palisades, the great falls of paterson,

They also added the Seven Man Made Wonders of NJ, which include lucy the margate elephant, and the hindenburg (the ship? the crash site??).

Which brings me to my question: I was thinking it would be neat to honor this notable distinction by creating a cache in each spot. All the caches would commonly titled or referenced (like SWONJ #3: High Point State Park or something). I'm willing to create a photo jpeg for each cache with a picture of the area, and some sort of identifying text. (this cache is located in High poitn state park, designated as one of the seven wonders of NJ) or something.

If there are already caches in that park or area, I'd ask if they want to join the group (totally optional) I need volunteers to help because I can't place caches so far away that I can't maintain them. besides I thought it would be more fun to involve everyone. get some of the veterans to join in.

or maybe this is just a dumb idea. Conceptionally what do you all think? In a day or two (maybe three since my library isn't open Sunday) I'll post the official list of 14 spots, as well as a lisdt of any geocahces in those spots, and if folks wanna help, we can brain storm on a common title as well as if we want to do an identifying jpeg or whatever.

Although this is my idea, I totally want this to be a group thing, and hope some of you will join in. Who knows, maybe all 14 spots are already covered? (this being such a cache rich state. icon_rolleyes.gif oops. bad pun icon_wink.gif)

So who's w/me?

william

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

[This message was edited by Gwho on May 02, 2003 at 07:27 PM.]

I have a book titled Off the Beaten Path written by William and Kay Scheller that bills itself as a 'Guide to Unique Places' within NJ.

It has information in on a ton of unique spots. I bought it originally when I was reading through it at the bookstore and they had a whole writeup on the 'castle' on Garrett Mountain. Anyway - figured I'd pass on the recommendation for an interesting read (it's certainly not as good as WierdNJ!).

Good luck - I'll help if you have something around the Morristown area (and I'll certainly look for the new caches when they're hidden!).

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Tripod rock has to be on any list of 7 wonders, but majestically beautiful, I dunno. Off hand I can think of the Palisades, Delaware Watergap, Wyanokie High Point (or nearby Carris Hill), Island Beach State Park, Terrace Pond (not just an advertisement for my cache there), Bearfort Mtn, overlooking Greenwoood Lake and Garrett Mountain at night (now illegal).

The idea isn't a bad one at all, but I know of caches at every place I mentioned except IBSP.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The idea isn't a bad one at all, but I know of caches at every place I mentioned except IBSP.

I like the idea a lot also. Island Beach has two caches on it. Only down side is it cost you 6 bucks to get in. Witer and Summer. But Island beach is great in the Winter. You're almost guaranteed to catch a red fox ... not the Sanford & son brand icon_wink.gif and the birding is pretty good whenever you there.

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

Although you're giving an awful lot of creedence to the author of that book

Maybe. Even so, it'd be a neat way to link a series of otherwise unconnected geocaches. I just got word the book is in, so I'll have it tomorrow but wonj't likely be able to get into it & back to the forums till tues or weds.

quote:
originally posted by brian snat: Off hand I can think of the Palisades....Terrace Pond (not just an advertisement for my cache there

<humor><sarcasm>why no, of course not. wouldn't have thought that at all. icon_rolleyes.gif</sarcasm></humor>

(hey nowadays it seems you have to puts disclaimers on everything ya know?)

william

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Here are the Seven Natural Wonders for what it's worth...

20,000 Secondary schoool students participated in a survey about whats interesting/historic/beautiful in NJ. Their responses were then pared down by the NJ Hisotircal Society into 14 natural & 14 manmade wonders. The students then selected the top 7 of each. It's kinda an interesting book, but for us, living in such a cache dense state (and a small state at that) I'm not sure if there's a point since almsot all have caches (some of them multiple)

Top Seven Natural Wonders:

Delaware Water Gap: can't place caches here, although there is a virtual up here

Great Falls of Passaic: Already a virtual by brian Snat

High Point State Park: Several caches here already

Palisades:I've got about 4 or 5, Big Bill a few, and AD has another. Pretty well covered at the northern end, one in the southern end but it's archived because the coordinates may be off.

The jersey Shore & The Pine Barrens: Too many caches to count

Sunfish Pond: I couldn't even locate this on my gps map.

The others wereFranklin Mineral Mines, Great Swamp refuge, The Meadowlands, NJ Bog Iron, ThE Ramapo Fault (a geoloical fault line similar to, but smaller the infamous San Andres fault. Did you know that 20 earthquakes ranging from 1.5-3 occured between 1974 and 1980 alone? Shudder.) Roadring Brook, & the tillman ravine, in Stokes State Forest.

Man Made Wonders:

Atlantic City Boardwalk: Got a cache there. archived it. Difficult to keep one of these alive, although I archived mine mainly because I can't maintain it.

Edisons Lightbulb & Lab: I think theres a virtual for this.

GWB: Theres a temporarily archived cache near the NJ side of it, and Cache Ninja has had a few ON the bridge, against better judgement I think, considering 9/11 terrorism concerns.

Holland Tunnel: No way we;re getting a cache here. Maybe overlooking the entrance?

Lucy the margate Elephant: Already a virtual

NJ Meadowlands Sports Complex:Hmmm... why. It's cool and all, but why? Besides the new hartz Mountain is coming and will make the meadowlands look lika fair. Oh wait, it is a fair next month I think. icon_biggrin.gif

Twin lights Navesink lighthouse Thunk thats anbother virtual already.

The losing seven included the Branch brook Park Cherry Blossoms Bell Labs of Murray Hill (???) Cape May (can we get more vague & general?)The newark transporation Complex (meant to including rail, air, and boat)Trenton psychiatric Hospital (the Weird NJ side of me is grinning endlessly at this one), Society for Establishing Useful Manufacturers (establishing by Hamilton, it was a group whose goal was to bring business & industry to NJ) and finally, the Cathedral of the Sacred heart in newark, which I'll admit is a truly impressive sight, and worthy of a virtual, even though it ranks last of 14 on this list.

Summary I think the list covers such vast geography that it renders this concept pointless. We in the group are mostly familiar with these areas anyway. Unless there's a clamoring of support to do this, I don't think there's a point. (sadly) I had kinda hoped this would work, but we could easily be talking 20% of all the caches in NJ. Way to big to handle. a dozen might've worked, or even two.

What do you all think?

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

The list makes sense - if you polled 20,000 students, you'd tend to find pretty accessible sites.

Looks like most of south Jersey's a natural wonder according to the kids (Jersey Shore's pretty much everything south of Sandy Hook and combine that with the Pine Barrens - you've got a good chunk of southern Jersey covered).

I'm surprised Lake Passaic (and the associated Sharky's dump) wasn't mentioned icon_biggrin.gif

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

<Humor><Sarcasism> Is that all New Jersey has is 7? Heck, there are 7 in my home PA county alone! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Think we ought to list ours? PA cachers? <Humor-off> <Sarcasism-off>

I have been very impressed with the palisades. Very unique.

Isn't Sunfish Pond where those hippy squatters moved to, during the Tocks Island Dam issue?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

<Humor><Sarcasism> Is that all New Jersey has is 7? Heck, there are 7 in my home PA county alone! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Think we ought to list ours? PA cachers? <Humor-off> <Sarcasism-off>

I have been very impressed with the palasides. Very unique.

Isn't Sunfish Pond where those hippy squatters moved to, during the Tocks Island Dam issue?

Salvelinus

http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/otn/animals/goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:

quote:

I have been very impressed with the palisades. Very unique.

Salvelinus

Ralph Abele

Ralph Abele

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

The list makes sense - if you polled 20,000 students, you'd tend to find pretty accessible sites.

actually though, some of those items are fairly obscure (IMHO). SUM for example. & the ramapo fault, the roaring brook & tillman ravine I never even heard of, and the last two sound interesting enough to mark on my map of places to go.

quote:
Looks like most of south Jersey's a natural wonder according to the kids (Jersey Shore's pretty much everything south of Sandy Hook and combine that with the Pine Barrens - you've got a good chunk of southern Jersey covered).

exactly why this idea is going to die sad to say. thgats like 1/3 of NJ or something.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

... & the ramapo fault, the roaring brook & tillman ravine

The circut hike between Tillman's Ravine and Buttermilk falls is one of my favorite hikes. There is also a ghost town in the area (Wallpack Center). And the grave yard at the four corners with the unmarked grave.

Another interesting spot is the terminal moraine nears Buttzville. I forget where that is exactly, so if anyone remembers please let me know.

Since Del Water Gap, is a National Recreation Area, does it still fall under the restrictions of the NPS? There are private homes and business within it's boundaries, aren't there?

quote:
Since Del Water Gap, is a National Recreation Area, does it still fall under the restrictions of the NPS? There are private homes and business within it's boundaries, aren't there?

Yes to your first question and sort of to your second. As far as I know the homes and businesses are being leased from the NPS. They were originally purchased in preparation for the Tocks Island Dam, which was never built. Most people were kicked out, but some were allowed to remain.

They are now trying to encourage more people to lease and fix up many of the homes, particulary the ones with historic value. Many are in bad shape becayse they've been abandoned for 20, or so years.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

Plus, much of the area north of Rt80 (on the NJ side) is Worthington State Forest - so NJ State Forestry rules would apply.