Eets uh shame

Personally I admire the way some people can write seemingly endless logs about their journey to the cache. I'm a very literal person and I like to get to the point; I just can't write like that.

Where one log log will begin 'I wandered over hill and dale, a graceful equine bowed his head to graze on the luscious grass as the glorious sunset blazed on the horizon'.

Mine will be 'Walked past a horse, it got dark.'

It would feel dishonest to write in the style of the former, or any other way, because that's just not me.

If there was something funny or particularly noteworthy that happened, I would include it. But if it's an uneventful cache find (perhaps I should be more selective of which caches I hunt), I just can't think of what to say other than along the lines of "Found quickly, TFTC".

I could elaborate: "Parked up, Got out, walked down the Street, turned the corner, read the notice board and noticed there's a jumble sale on next week..." (true story) but that seems to border on irrelevance, I obviously need to find balance.

I don't know of anyone, not locally, and not on these forums, that would ask for any more than 'Walked past a horse, it got dark.'. That is an honest attempt at a unique log that does share something about your experience. NOBODY is asking ANYBODY to write a novel, and encyclopedia, or the entire works of William Shakespeare.

"Time to start putting my hides to rest....the game is changing and not for the good. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed the end of a golden era.

Thank you to those who have visited, the quality found logs and the Favorite points!!"

Didn't start until '12, so can't guess what "golden era" he's experienced. :)

Not sure what's expected. Not enough long logs and favorite points?

As well as "super creative", there's one heck of a lotta 1.5/1.5s...

That's my buddy, Jake. A great guy! You are not alone, Bubbles, by wishing he was still in the game more. He did put out some very fun hides, but has been increasingly frustrated by lowest-effort logging on caches that he put a lot of effort into, by the apparent preference of cachers for a large group of low-effort hides vs. going after a single lone hide that was well done, and frankly, by what seems to him to be inconsistency and poor judgement from our reviewer. He also has recently had several changes to his lifestyle that put geocaching at a much lower priority in his life.

So THIS is what happens when you start a thread and then leave the forum for a few days. Lol! Good times.

Anyway, my main and only point was I wish he wouldn't go and if he has to, I wish he'd let people adopt his caches.

Didn't mean to get you outed, Jake! Sorry! Love your caches!

I don't think Jake is too "outed" by this. In fact, I sent him a link to this thread, hoping that seeing it will help change his mind and realize that there really are still geocachers that care about quality hides.

So you actually confront other geocachers when you don't like their logs? But you're claiming the cachers are the problem?

I do not own a cache that happens to lie on a cache trail and if one of my caches gets affected in the future, I'd archive it immediately without waiting for what happens.

What I wrote above is a general and common topic of talks and debates, at events, at other encounters of cachers etc

My line is argument is not via the term problem. The message is just that cache owners that have demonstrated that they are perfectly able to maintain caches over many years, can get to the point where they give up and this does not imply that they are not made for cache ownership.

It's not about expecting accolades or special thanks. A sincere "Your cache sucked because it's so close to a wasp nest and I got attacked" is not an accolade but much preferred over a log not taking into account the found cache at all.

It's unfortunate when a decent cache gets surrounded by a power trail. Doesn't matter how good the cache is, the short copy and paste "finding this series", "tftc" type logs still make their way onto the cache page. I'm sure this occurs more often in cases like this but it's also happening on stand alone caches placed away from power trails. People go out for day of caching for numbers and they log for them the easiest way they can. The use of phones for logging and the ease of copying and pasting, along with the help of apps and such, has made it the lazy man's way of choice. Of course, most caches these days are perfectly fine with copy and paste logs but it's disheartening to see good quality caches get so many of these meaningless "that's one more smiley for me" type logs. :(

It just means that the quality cachers stand out from the crowd. The lame logs are just background noise.

And here's me, been caching for awhile (although successfully only for about a year) and I never even thought about it. If something's unique about the cache or particularly great about it's location I always mention it. But I will admit to lots of TFTCs. Never even considered that, of course, cache owners are enjoying the visits and want to know more about the people who came and what they found. Yeah guys have given me lots to think about. I cache with my family (and have added a couple of members to our caching team this summer). Typically, I write a more complete log on my profile and the rest just TFTC. Hopefully that's good enough. Can't get my kids to write for homework assignments. Darn lazy generation. I never even thought about using the voice input. As I said lots to think about. So glad that I couldn't sleep and came across this topic in the forum. When it's light outside and I can get to my laptop, I'm thinking I'll revisit some caches and potentially edit some logs...

Another thing to consider is that they might have technological reasons for leaving shorter logs - for instance, I try to leave longer logs, but sometimes if I'm using my smartphone to log a find they end up being shorter as it's a pain to type out a longer log on the little screen.

Then...maybe don't use your smartphone to log. You don't HAVE to log in the field, you know.

There's also the ability to edit one's log. I will often put out a short log via my phone to get a particular thought out about my search, but come back later and edit it for errors and to add description. I know the edits don't show up in notifications, but at least they are there for future finders.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :mad:

Why? Why? WHY? Just wait until you can get to a proper keyboard, like we always used to do.

I can see logging with a phone out in the field under certain circumstances. For instance, getting a ftf and showing some respect for others by logging that it's been found. Most other times though, i'm with you. Why even try tapping a log out on a phone if it's so difficult to do it? I've seem quite a few "will edit later" logs and guess what,, most never get edited. Sure seems silly not to just wait until the logging is easier to do on a device a person is more comfortable using.

I don't know of anyone, not locally, and not on these forums, that would ask for any more than 'Walked past a horse, it got dark.'. That is an honest attempt at a unique log that does share something about your experience. NOBODY is asking ANYBODY to write a novel, and encyclopedia, or the entire works of William Shakespeare.

That's really not the impression I have gotten from this topic :/

And here's me, been caching for awhile (although successfully only for about a year) and I never even thought about it. If something's unique about the cache or particularly great about it's location I always mention it. But I will admit to lots of TFTCs. Never even considered that, of course, cache owners are enjoying the visits and want to know more about the people who came and what they found. Yeah guys have given me lots to think about. I cache with my family (and have added a couple of members to our caching team this summer). Typically, I write a more complete log on my profile and the rest just TFTC. Hopefully that's good enough. Can't get my kids to write for homework assignments. Darn lazy generation. I never even thought about using the voice input. As I said lots to think about. So glad that I couldn't sleep and came across this topic in the forum. When it's light outside and I can get to my laptop, I'm thinking I'll revisit some caches and potentially edit some logs...

I think there are lots of cachers like you who come to realize there is value in writing more when they can.

That's why it's important for us to keep making the game better by setting a good example, instead of just quitting in a huff when we can't control everything.

I think there are lots of cachers like you who come to realize there is value in writing more when they can.

That's why it's important for us to keep making the game better by setting a good example, instead of just quitting in a huff when we can't control everything.

Sounds like the CO in question has placed some decent caches. If so, then it stands to reason that he would like logs to be more than just the short and/or cut and paste variety. It's definitely disappointing when someone puts some effort into their hides but then get's goofy little c&p logs. But now we see the proliferation of TFTC and such logs becoming the norm. It would be great if setting a good example worked but there are just too many other things working against this. GS itself has changed their philosophy by pretty much endorsing power trails and on top of that, pushing cell phone use. These two things by themselves have a big affect on logging practices.

I haven't given up just yet but yes, i do feel for this CO and others like him. It may look like "in a huff" but i'd bet it's more the "straw that broke the camel's back. Geocaching is not the same hobby it used to be...

Sounds like the CO in question has placed some decent caches. If so, then it stands to reason that he would like logs to be more than just the short and/or cut and paste variety. It's definitely disappointing when someone puts some effort into their hides but then get's goofy little c&p logs. But now we see the proliferation of TFTC and such logs becoming the norm. It would be great if setting a good example worked but there are just too many other things working against this. GS itself has changed their philosophy by pretty much endorsing power trails and on top of that, pushing cell phone use. These two things by themselves have a big affect on logging practices.

I haven't given up just yet but yes, i do feel for this CO and others like him. It may look like "in a huff" but i'd bet it's more the "straw that broke the camel's back. Geocaching is not the same hobby it used to be...

We all have preferences.

I enjoy reading logs on the few caches I own, and I am disappointed when I get TFTC or something similar, so I always make an effort to say something personal on my finds. I dictate my logs on the app while I am still at the cache site, so I can talk about the little details that make caching fun for me. More often than not, it is some kind of misadventure, so hopefully the CO gets a laugh out of it.

I'm 100% a phone Apper and unlikely to change it. I rarely log later, although I do for all other members of the team as they don't have smart phones. However, I will definitely think about writing logs for those finds that are fun. We have a number that are more micro on a bench as we have very active groundskeepers in my home area. Fortunately, the community is kind to us newbies and seems I offended by TFTC logs. I don't mind writing longer logs on my phone, so I'll go from there assuming the micro on the bench or the road walking bridge doesn't need more than a TFTC, but the rest might like more. Clever containers always get a mention as those are the ones I like best,especially when they are in unique locations that I wouldn't otherwise see... Thanks for the food for thought.

If you're finding caches that aren't fun, maybe you're playing this game incorrectly. It's supposed to be fun.

When I see people just load caches for an area and then follow the arrow to the nearest cache, it doesn't surprise me a bit they are finding caches that are not as much fun as they could be. It takes me at least as much time to filter out and preparing for caches than do actually do them in the field. I have no problem leaving a lamppostcache unfound even if I pass it at 5 meters or less (actually left a bunch doing a multi where almost every virtual stage had a traditional at the same coordinates a while ago).

If you're finding caches that aren't fun, maybe you're playing this game incorrectly. It's supposed to be fun.

When I see people just load caches for an area and then follow the arrow to the nearest cache, it doesn't surprise me a bit they are finding caches that are not as much fun as they could be. It takes me at least as much time to filter out and preparing for caches than do actually do them in the field. I have no problem leaving a lamppostcache unfound even if I pass it at 5 meters or less (actually left a bunch doing a multi where almost every virtual stage had a traditional at the same coordinates a while ago).

+1

Though not popular with a few of the locals :laughing: (most are getting used to me), I'll pass the "on the way to...", or parking lots, roadsides, etc; to get to one I'll do.

I'm still here, many of them aren't. :)

+1

Though not popular with a few of the locals :laughing: (most are getting used to me), I'll pass the "on the way to...", or parking lots, roadsides, etc; to get to one I'll do.

I'm still here, many of them aren't. :)

We do the same thing. I've even had emails from cache owners who asked why we didn't do one of their caches, because they saw that we found one nearby. Uh, because it looked lame?

But sometimes we'll save up those lame easy ones, and go on a blitz to find a bunch, which is fun in its own way. And when we do that, we write individual logs for those caches. Some of my favourite caching memories are at lamppost caches where there was a bunch of us goofing around and racing from one to the next. They *can* be fun, but you have to make them fun. And I don't see why you'd bother doing them at all if they aren't fun for you.

I occasionally do the lame lamp post type caches, but never as a destination. It's usually because I was out running errands and I checked to see if there was one in the parking lot, so I could kill 2 or 3 minutes while my husband made a phone call or something. I still write a real log saying something like "I was on my way home from work and stopped to pick up cat food - it's nice to have a few I can do in my work clothes"

Personally I admire the way some people can write seemingly endless logs about their journey to the cache. I'm a very literal person and I like to get to the point; I just can't write like that.

Where one log log will begin 'I wandered over hill and dale, a graceful equine bowed his head to graze on the luscious grass as the glorious sunset blazed on the horizon'.

It would feel dishonest to write in the style of the former, or any other way, because that's just not me.

Your post cracked me up! We're kindred spirits! I really, really wish I could elaborate on things like other people do - writing eloquent, vivid descriptions of their adventure, but it's just not in me. (In fact, I had to look at a Thesaurus just to write that sentence, LOL! :P )

Jenny

Your post cracked me up! We're kindred spirits! I really, really wish I could elaborate on things like other people do - writing eloquent, vivid descriptions of their adventure, but it's just not in me. (In fact, I had to look at a Thesaurus just to write that sentence, LOL! :P )

Jenny

Are you serious? This recent log of yours is AWESOME!

Thought I was gonna have to log a DNF on this one! I looked high, I looked low, I expanded my search a pretty good way out. I was so distracted by my search that I almost ran RIGHT INTO one of those demon-spawn, huge, black and yellow spiders! AAACCKKKK! I nearly fled at that point, but gritted my teeth and kept on.

FINALLY, there it was! I swear I looked there at least twice but it was invisible those times. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it, LOL!)

TFTC!

Jenny

Are you serious? This recent log of yours is AWESOME!

Thought I was gonna have to log a DNF on this one! I looked high, I looked low, I expanded my search a pretty good way out. I was so distracted by my search that I almost ran RIGHT INTO one of those demon-spawn, huge, black and yellow spiders! AAACCKKKK! I nearly fled at that point, but gritted my teeth and kept on.

FINALLY, there it was! I swear I looked there at least twice but it was invisible those times. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it, LOL!)

TFTC!

I agree. Zookeepertx's log is great. What most cache owners want is simply a meaningful log that addresses the experience at the cache. This one is not only meaningful but entertaining. :)

Sometimes I look at logs after we log, just to see what's the haps. And I noticed that a super creative cacher hider guy is shutting down his caches "due to the game changing and not for the better". I can only think it's because of the one-liner logs people have been leaving around here lately. Like LOTS and LOTS of people. I spoke to my cacher pal who visited my state recently and he leaves very short logs. He hates the long logs (and owns a cache himself). Soooo eets a bummer if this hidey cacher guy is shutting down because of that.

Ok, I see it was MNJake. Nevermind.

Edited by bflentje

Another thing to consider is that they might have technological reasons for leaving shorter logs - for instance, I try to leave longer logs, but sometimes if I'm using my smartphone to log a find they end up being shorter as it's a pain to type out a longer log on the little screen.

Then...maybe don't use your smartphone to log. You don't HAVE to log in the field, you know.

There's also the ability to edit one's log. I will often put out a short log via my phone to get a particular thought out about my search, but come back later and edit it for errors and to add description. I know the edits don't show up in notifications, but at least they are there for future finders.

Why? Why? WHY? Just wait until you can get to a proper keyboard, like we always used to do.

Yep. Field Notes.

Put your thoughts down, log at home online.

Sometimes I've thought of something better to say!

Or, a decent days caching takes the edge off that big pile of carp cache, so you don't pile in :o , but can tone down your thoughts to be more "family friendly" when you log it, and maybe offer some constructive criticism! :laughing:

I have NO clue about this, as I'm using very basic stuff, so I'm honestly curious. If you post a log in the field and then edit/expand on it later, does the CO get a notice of the editing? Because, if not, they'll probably never hear about "the rest of the story". I know that, if I get a "TFTC" log on one of my caches, I rarely even go the the cache page just to read TFTC again and I sure don't check later to see if anything's been added! So, I'm never going to know there was a real story posted!

I have NO clue about this, as I'm using very basic stuff, so I'm honestly curious. If you post a log in the field and then edit/expand on it later, does the CO get a notice of the editing? Because, if not, they'll probably never hear about "the rest of the story". I know that, if I get a "TFTC" log on one of my caches, I rarely even go the the cache page just to read TFTC again and I sure don't check later to see if anything's been added! So, I'm never going to know there was a real story posted!

Nope, editing a log doesn't send any notification to the CO.

This is why using Field Notes is such a godsend for me. I can mark the cache as found in the field and the Field Notes will keep my finds in the order I found them and when I get home, they're all waiting for me and I can write up a log to my hearts content. But, most people just want to find a cache, mark it as found and move on to the next. Many won't bother with waiting to write a log until they get home.

This is why using Field Notes is such a godsend for me. I can mark the cache as found in the field and the Field Notes will keep my finds in the order I found them and when I get home, they're all waiting for me and I can write up a log to my hearts content. But, most people just want to find a cache, mark it as found and move on to the next. Many won't bother with waiting to write a log until they get home.

Most just want to add another notch in their geocaching belt. It doesn't matter if it's a nice cache or the lamest of lame, the same copy and paste log will prevail. The important thing is getting that notch using the quickest and easiest methods.

If I add something significant to the log I delete the old find completely and relog it so the owner will see it. I cut and paste and be sure to relog with the correct date. YMMV

I've been doing this too.

Usually it's because I've waited too long, and can't stand to see that "edited..." note underneath. :laughing:

See, I don't know anything about Field Notes and my GPS is so old, I probably don't even have access to them, LOL! But it sounds like a good plan!

If I add something significant to the log I delete the old find completely and relog it so the owner will see it. I cut and paste and be sure to relog with the correct date. YMMV
Hmmm, I didn't know that would work!
One catch is that the Favorites system doesn't count the re-logged cache when determining how many Favorites points you have.

Another approach would be to post a Note with the new content (so the owner and watchers get the email notification), then edit the Find to add the new content, and delete the Note (so there's only one copy of the new content when you're done).