Long distance tour guide

iconions

Some of the benefits of Waymarking... A co-worker was coming back home to Kansas City from Madison, Wisconsin and decided to visit the Field of Dreams set in Dyersville, Ia. Because I waymark, I was able to direct this co-worker to go ahead and go on into Dyersville and see one of the nicest Catholic Churches that I have ever seen. Who would have thought that a small town would have a minor Basilica within City Limits, and I would not have known about it without Waymarking! :rolleyes:

I'm with you guys.

And yet we have someone badmouthing it to the Nth degree in the Geocaching forums.

Their big complaint was that there are so few visits of even the Waymarks of very popular places/things.

Well, first of all I think they're throwing the baby out with the bath water. Secondly they make the silly statement that Groundspeak shouldn't even waste money on Waymarking -- which last I checked, they definitely weren't!

But it still does get me puzzled sometimes at how low the visits are, considering that (apart from the silly commercial categories) the whole point of Waymarks are to take you to interesting places. I've visited just about every Waymark (not including mine) for just about 20 miles in every direction from where I live. I enjoy visiting them about the same as making them.

Some of the Waymarks that GEO*Trailblazer 1 made are just out of my heavyset reach. I've tried to look for The Old Man of the Ozarks twice without finding it, and ended up absolutely beat on both attempts. (And yet I'd still like to find it some day!)

I know it's a different topic, so I'll not hijack this topic. But I still wonder why the low visit counts.

Even visits would allow one to become a tour guide!!

I'm with you guys.

And yet we have someone badmouthing it to the Nth degree in the Geocaching forums.

Their big complaint was that there are so few visits of even the Waymarks of very popular places/things.

Well, first of all I think they're throwing the baby out with the bath water. Secondly they make the silly statement that Groundspeak shouldn't even waste money on Waymarking -- which last I checked, they definitely weren't!

But it still does get me puzzled sometimes at how low the visits are, considering that (apart from the silly commercial categories) the whole point of Waymarks are to take you to interesting places. I've visited just about every Waymark (not including mine) for just about 20 miles in every direction from where I live. I enjoy visiting them about the same as making them.

Some of the Waymarks that GEO*Trailblazer 1 made are just out of my heavyset reach. I've tried to look for The Old Man of the Ozarks twice without finding it, and ended up absolutely beat on both attempts. (And yet I'd still like to find it some day!)

I know it's a different topic, so I'll not hijack this topic. But I still wonder why the low visit counts.

Even visits would allow one to become a tour guide!!

Staying on topic, Waymarking has a Geocaching Tour Guide category. :laughing: