Proxy coins

Mama514

Hello,

I recently found a coin made by a company called Gxproxy. It came with a small paper label that reads "sigmarx". Both items were in a small baggy made by the same company. After doing some reading on this site, I am even more confused. The problem is that it has no tracking code anywhere. I even looked with a magnifying glass. The only thing I could do was search by the name stamped on the coin ( I assume it's the geocachers nickname). Found a list that showed 7 items with the same name. Out of the 7 items, only one had been sent out into the world, the others are listed as they are in owner's possession and have never been released.. They are all coins .Contacted who was thought to be the owner but they are not responding. Am I doing something wrong? Also, under the word sigmarx on coin itself, it says " 075 of 175". I know how TBs work, having found 4 but have never found a coin. I understand this to be a copy of the original coin in owners collection or is it something else? Thanks for any help. ....thoroughly confused.

Edited by jdpen74

Thank you NOSNOW and cerberus1. I had a feeling this was the case. It became confusing when I noticed the use of the word (Gx)"proxy" stamped on it. But I thought, without a tracking code, what would be the point of a copied version of original? Sometimes I make things harder than they have to be.? Believe me, if anyone knows anyone who is that way and won't admit it, just introduce them to this game of hunting treasure!

There are cachers who keep them in their collection. In the early years of 'geocoins', folks had them made as signature coins without tracking numbers. I think it became too costly for a 'giveaway' SWAG item, or even as a trade coin. Companies like GxProxy have filled the gap for those who still want a sig item that is not a pathtag or similar and can't justify the cost of having their own trackable geocoin made.

GxProxy - btw - is a trackable, geocoin and swag company in the US. They have a dot com website by the same name.

There are cachers who keep them in their collection. In the early years of 'geocoins', folks had them made as signature coins without tracking numbers. I think it became too costly for a 'giveaway' SWAG item, or even as a trade coin. Companies like GxProxy have filled the gap for those who still want a sig item that is not a pathtag or similar and can't justify the cost of having their own trackable geocoin made.

GxProxy - btw - is a trackable, geocoin and swag company in the US. They have a dot com website by the same name.

[/quote

Yes, I looked them up. Funny thing, I saw some neat little stamps on logbooks when we first started and thought "hey, that's a neat thing". Now I want to make something to share... Those sig coins are still too much for me at this time, but I know something can be created that some would appreciate. I've enjoyed some really REALLY neat caches in this short time. It would be nice to give something to the owner of the cache or to the next finder to make the find more enjoyable.