OT- Suggestions for places to live in the NYC area

Team Tecmage

Hi Everyone,

Tracy and I are pretty excited- I have a job interview in the city, and if successful, might be moving that way. BTW, Tracy is from Poughkeepsie, but I'd be working in lower Manhattan, so that commute would be too long (gotta be able to get home before Geocaching after work). Any suggestions on affordable communities/neighborhoods? We have Leahy's book on 115 neighborhoods, and Shapiro's Relocating to NYC.

Team Tecmage

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

Hi Everyone,

Tracy and I are pretty excited- I have a job interview in the city, and if successful, might be moving that way. BTW, Tracy is from Poughkeepsie, but I'd be working in lower Manhattan, so that commute would be too long (gotta be able to get home before Geocaching after work). Any suggestions on affordable communities/neighborhoods? We have Leahy's book on 115 neighborhoods, and Shapiro's Relocating to NYC.

Team Tecmage

WOW! would be great to have you! You might want to look into my side of the river.... Monmouth County, NJ is still reasonably close to NYC by train or ferry, and housing is cheaper then NYC or North Jersey. The closer you get, the more it costs, but the cost of living is offset by the pay here.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Thanks Mopar,

We are considering New Jersey as well. We were thinking Northern Jersey because Tracy is pregnant, and our child is due right around the time of the move (ah, the convinence of children)!

Congrats!

Well, like I said, dont overlook south central NJ, like Raritan Bay area... the train/ferry will get you into NYC faster then driving in the traffic hell they call north jersey (rush hour is 6am til 7pm), and the housing is 1/2 the price.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

First of all, Congrats on your future geocacher. Caching with children takes the game to a whole new level. It can turn a 1/1 cache into a 4/4.

Secondly, welcome to one of the most cache rich areas of the nation.

I don't travel into the city very often so I'm far from an expert. Friends of mine that do commute in say the midtown direct train line is very convenient.

http://www.nj.com/njtransit/midtown.html

Two towns that I like which are serviced by this train are Montclair and South Orange. Both have nice downtown areas and pleasant suburban settings. Good luck with the interview!

My brother in law recently moved here from Hong Kong and did a lot of research. He wanted good schools,easy access to shopping, reasonable median home prices and an easy commute to NYC via rail. Some of the towns that made his list were:

Chatham

Montville

Denville

Morris Plains

Berkley Heights

Princeton Junction

Plainsboro

Basking Ridge

Bridgewater

Fair Haven

Little Silver

Ridgewood

Kinnelon (where I live)

Boonton Township

Towaco

Of the places on that list that are the most affordable (well by NJ standards), would be Denville, Towaco and maybe Montville and Basking Ridge.

If you have no school age children and the school system isn't important at this time, that certainly increases your options and gets you into more affordable towns. In this case, you can add Wayne, Boonton, Parsippany, Caldwell, Butler, Riverdale, Mount Olive, Hackettstown, Long Valley, Lincoln Park, Morristown & Maplewood to your list.

Beware the taxes. Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Passaic county have very high taxes. Morris, Somerset, Sussex & Hunderton have reasonable tax rates (by NJ standards).

If Tracy still has family in Poughkeepsie, town along the Route 287 corridor would be an easy trip to Poughkeepsie. They would include Basking Ridge, Morris Plains, Denville, Towaco, Parsippany, Kinnelon, Montville, Lincoln Park, Wayne, Riverdale, Boonton.

Also pay attention to the link that BeeGees sent your for NJ Transit. Look for towns along the Morris & Essex and Boonton Lines.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 14, 2003 at 10:57 AM.]

Hoboken is nice. Very expensive. More of a city. Brownstones, etc... Jersey City is more affordable, but again, it's a city and not as "gentrified" as Hoboken. If you are looking for a city-like atmosphere, they're fine. The commute to Manhattan is a breeze from either place. Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a city-like environment, there's those two, Elizabeth, Newark and several towns near the George Washington Bridge (Fort Lee, Englewood, West New York, etc...)

Towns like Montville, Kinnelon, Boonton Township and parts of Denville are more country-ish (heck, I have to deal with the occassional bear in the garbage). Basking Ridge, Towaco, Chatham, Parsippany, etc... are more suburban.

So it's all about the type of place you want. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions about any specific place.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:

Hey, where are the New Yorkers?

Oh, I forgot, you're new here!

This is really the NJ forum, Jeremy just hasn't changed the name at the top yet. icon_smile.gif

Sometimes we do allow the other states to post..........but not often!

quote:
Hey, where are the New Yorkers?

We'd post, but the Jerseyites suck all the oxygen out of this forum. icon_wink.gif

I live in Westchester County and commute to Midtown. I once commuted to Downtown. Once. I do not recommend it. If your job was in Midtown, you would have an easy commute via train to Westchester, Putnam and even Dutchess Counties as well as Connecticut. But if your job is Downtown, you will also need to take the subway. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_redface.gif (<--Riders on the #4 train on a hot summer day with the air conditioning out) While I worked Downtown, I lived in Jersey City (via PATH) and then Brooklyn as the commute was easier. With a child coming, you will probably want suburbia and good schools so I (bites tongue) would have to go with the recommendations posted here already. Although you may question why they call it the Garden State while you drive along the Jersey Turnpike, there are actually some nice communities there. icon_smile.gif

I really like Riverdale NY area. Around Manhattan College. Easy commute by subway. A bit pricey but if you shop around, bet you can get something. Or just over the border into Yonkers(Like around Mt Saint Vincent area on Riverdale Ave) it's awsome. Take the bus down to the subway with the free transfer or the express bus straight down to midtown. Drive around the Riverdale and Yonkers border and see. But remeber to stay off Broadway North of the 260s and North of valentine lane on the Riverdale Ave side. It starts to get a little hairy from there on.

Hope that Helps. T.E.C

Hey team techmage,

We'd love to have you up in here in NY. I live in Hopewell Jct. about 20 min south of Poughkeepsie right near the putnam/dutchess border. Alot of people around here commute to the city by train...about an hour, I could understand your not wanting to spend that much of your day in traveling, but I'd be happy to take Tracy and the bouncing bundle out caching and checking out the neighborhood and you could cache out central park on your lunch hour to keep up icon_smile.gif

Putnam county has some great areas... Cold Spring, Garrison, Croton, Peekskill, Cortland, along the hudson are all along the train line and don't make a bad commute...plus you've got the great Hudson Highland caches there. Brewster is at the end of the Harlem line and is not as pricey as heading into Westchester. Westchester county, south of there, varies alot, from city to country.

Holler as you get a better idea if your looking around any of these northern areas... I'd be happy to help you get more info. Jersey has enough cachers already...we need you more around here ;-) And just on a fluke if your thinking about heading up this way to check things out at all ...there's an upcoming event cache scheduled for June 7-8 Geo-jamboree

in Northern Westchester where you could meet some of the locals. Good Luck whatever you decide and good luck with the interview.

Ttepee and all,

Thanks for the ideas! We were feeling overwhelmed with trying to plan without exactly knowing which opportunity is going to be our best choice.

There are several things that have to happen: 1)We have to get to NYC Monday, 2) I have the dazzle the crap out of these folks, 3) They have to make an offer, and 4) We have to accept.

The Geocaching is the easy part- we love being out (althought it has been tough lately). We have Geocached in the states surrounding Iowa (I think we have more finds in Kansas and Missouri than Iowa), and I don't see that changing when we move. So wherever we end up, we'll be hunting everything near (and far).

quote:

1)We have to get to NYC Monday, 2) I have the dazzle the crap out of these folks, 3) They have to make an offer, and 4) We have to accept.

Well, I'm sure you know how that goes.... If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.... baffle them with bull****!

I've never seen 'Basking Ridge' and 'affordable' ever used in the same sentance before! >grin<

Seriously though - if you're heading into NYC, the advice to check the train lines is solid. Generally, the closer you get to NYC (the shorter the train ride) and the more expensive the real estate.

You didn't say if you were looking to rent or buy - or whether you were looking for a house or apt.

If you're renting - Hoboken and Jersey City offer condos and apts (stick near the waterfront areas generally) and as you move out the train lines further out - you'll find more homes for rent. That said, there's a tremendous amount of new development along the train lines for new condos and townhouses.

I live near Morristown NJ. I like it because it's pretty much within an hour of NYC, Princeton, Northern NJ, Delaware Water Gap, Jersey Shore, and some (decent) skiing. Lots of parks but things can get crowded at times.

Move further east - and you're closer to NYC and the nightlife. Move further west - and you're more rural. Morristown area's worth a look (although real estate ain't cheap!).

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

quote:
I've never seen 'Basking Ridge' and 'affordable' ever used in the same sentance before! >grin<

Well I was comparing it with some of the other Somerset County towns like Far Hills, Peapack, etc....

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

You didn't say if you were looking to rent or buy - or whether you were looking for a house or apt.

Initially, we'll rent. We'll probably get the buy bug in a year or so. BTW, the advice has been great. We've been using the info from this thread along with the Home Fair Site to figure out where we might want/can afford to live.