Windows upgrade

T-BearNose39

Oops! I should have mentioned I have a Garmin gps -- and Firefox does not support Garmin Communicator!

Yes it does. At least on my system (Win 10, Firefox 39.0 and Garmin Communicator 4.2.0.0). Maybe an ad blocker, NoScript or Ghostery gets in the way?

I don't see how Garmin Express has anything to do with sending caches to a gpsr. It's for updating firmware/maps and uploading fitness to Garmin Connect.

Thanks for the info and there is my problem -- I have that set up. On a cache page, I hit the send button and get the pop-up where I select Garmin. Then I get a message that Garmin Communicator is not plugged in and to click here for a download and install. So I click that and first get a quick flash that says I have current version of Garmin Communicator. But that is quickly overwritten by a pop up that says "Firefox no longer supports this plug in." And that is a dead end. I guess I need to go to the ol' computer repair next week.

Thanks for the info and there is my problem -- I have that set up. On a cache page, I hit the send button and get the pop-up where I select Garmin. Then I get a message that Garmin Communicator is not plugged in and to click here for a download and install. So I click that and first get a quick flash that says I have current version of Garmin Communicator. But that is quickly overwritten by a pop up that says "Firefox no longer supports this plug in." And that is a dead end. I guess I need to go to the ol' computer repair next week.

Could it be a setting of your installation of Firefox that causes the problem?

Does this help?

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={5a6a7780-f7f2-11e3-c98c-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

Do all other plugins (do you have some?) still work?

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I found Edge also did not support Garmin Communicator just like Chrome. Internet Explorer still supports it. It kind of hard to find. Located under: All Apps/Windows Accessories/Internet Explorer. Hope this helps.

Veering slightly off topic,

When in EDGE just click the three little dots on the upper right corner of the browser (More Actions)

One option is OPEN WITH INTERNET EXPLORER

Easy Peasey

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now geocaching will not "send to my gps." Anyone have similar or solution? Thanks

I upgraded from 7 to 10 and had quite and few problems including basecamp, express, office 2010 and a host of others. Found the problem to be that all of my permissions of my folders had changed so I couldn't install mostly anything, couldn't see a variety of icons in my start folder and just too much work to justify keeping 10. I went back to 7 for now and all is well again. By the way I had to restore my disk from a backup image I had made a week before since the restore 7 feature in 10 brought some problem with it to 7. Good luck

By the way, I had Garmin techs on my system for hours and they gave up after escalating the problem to their software guru's. Seems they have not tested their SW with 10 yet either.

Edited by skipperl

By the way, I had Garmin techs on my system for hours and they gave up after escalating the problem to their software guru's. Seems they have not tested their SW with 10 yet either.

I use Garmin POI Loader, but have not tried it since the upgrade to Windows 10. I play games on MSN Games. What I find humorous is that many of them will not work with Edge. They direct you to use MSIE. Typical programmers. :ph34r:

A tech at Garmin provided the answer -- Edge does not like Garmin Communicator -- when you go to Communicator, it sends back to you -- but if you just installed Windows 10, your default browser is Edge! Won't work. So...I changed every default browser setting I could find to Firefox and it all works great! Thanks to all who gave this a shot!

Windows 10 with IE running and Garmin communicator installed. I click "send to GPS" and the pop-up comes up saying my device is found. I click "write" and I get no errors but the file is not actually written to the GPS. I can download the GPX file (to the PC) no problems and load it to the GPS using "easy gps" but I can't go direct (like I could before Win 10 upgrade)

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Edited by dgmwood

Windows 10 with IE running and Garmin communicator installed. I click "send to GPS" and the pop-up comes up saying my device is found. I click "write" and I get no errors but the file is not actually written to the GPS. I can download the GPX file (to the PC) no problems and load it to the GPS using "easy gps" but I can't go direct (like I could before Win 10 upgrade)

This is the problem that started this string! See my Aug 6 entry for answer. You have edge as your default browser and that is the problem. Change all defaults to IE.

This is the problem that started this string! See my Aug 6 entry for answer. You have edge as your default browser and that is the problem. Change all defaults to IE.

So, you can no longer use IE to download files directly to your GPS? I was not using Edge.

Yes, you can. Go to Control Panel --> Programs --> Default Programs and make IE the default browser instead of Edge.

That's not the problem. I'm already using IE as default. The problem is, Garmin communicator recognizes my GPS, I click "write" and the file name/location is shown but, it's not actually writing to the GPS. Before update if I clicked on the same file twice it would see this and ask if I want to "overwrite". Now it's almost like it thinks it's communicating but isn't.

I'm trying to figure out if this is an IE thing or something else.

Yes, you can. Go to Control Panel --> Programs --> Default Programs and make IE the default browser instead of Edge.

I use my computers and browser for a lot of things and use Chrome as my default browser. I'm not going to change my default configuration just because there is one application that rarely use that requires a specific browser.

Yes. I have the same problem.

I'm not a tech, so here is what I did. In Windows 10, go to top right menu button, click options, it will tell you what your default is. I thought I had re-set to IE, but nope. So down to window in bottom left, settings, system, default apps, web browser, select one, finish. It is a longer process but evidently the quick little click click in Control Panel no longer works. So it's really a two step process to re-set to IE or Firefox or whoever. We mainly geocache, and those are the two best browsers for that. But that's just us.

I have found that people on my friend page are having the same problem as every one else on this topic. I did not upgrade to 10 yet and have a year to do it. Hope that they get this problem fixed soon or there will be a lot of geocachers going back to 7 or 8. You would think that some one responsible would take this bull by the horns and fix it.

Edited by cachercats

Hope that they get this problem fixed soon or there will be a lot of geocachers going back to 7 or 8. You would think that some one responsible would take this bull by the horns and fix it.

I can't speak for anybody else, but whether I eventually upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will have absolutely nothing to do with the "Send to GPS" thing or, for that matter, anything to do with geocaching. I can think of a thousand other factors that will be a lot more important to me.

And "some one responsible" would not be Groundspeak. The browser plug-ins that handle the "Send to GPS" function were written by the GPS unit manufacturers, and they're the ones that would need to resolve any problems.

--Larry

Hope that they get this problem fixed soon or there will be a lot of geocachers going back to 7 or 8. You would think that some one responsible would take this bull by the horns and fix it.

I can't speak for anybody else, but whether I eventually upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will have absolutely nothing to do with the "Send to GPS" thing or, for that matter, anything to do with geocaching. I can think of a thousand other factors that will be a lot more important to me.

And "some one responsible" would not be Groundspeak. The browser plug-ins that handle the "Send to GPS" function were written by the GPS unit manufacturers, and they're the ones that would need to resolve any problems.

--Larry

--Larry

One of my friends talked with Garmin and they replied that they could not help him. Not their problem. If they would have said that to me they woiuld have gotten an earful. Its somebodys problem so lets get it fixed.

--Larry

One of my friends talked with Garmin and they replied that they could not help him. Not their problem. If they would have said that to me they woiuld have gotten an earful. Its somebodys problem so lets get it fixed.

--Larry

The answer to all this is to properly install another browser, IE or Firefox. Here's what I got from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to further assist you. Microsoftw Edge is the name of the Windows 10 browser and is most likely set as your default browser. This is not compatible with Garmin Communicator Plugin (CPI). You will need to use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. I have provided a link to help you with the Communicator Plugin. Please note that if you need to download the CPI, it will take you back to the test page, but it may take you to the Edge browser if it is set as your default. You would need to reopen Internet Explorer and go to the test page using this browser.

Why isn't the Garmin Communicator Plugin detected in my browser after installing it?

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={5a6a7780-f7f2-11e3-c98c-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

With Best Regards,

Kathy

Customer Care - Software Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Kathy 8994754

www.garmin.com

Hi everyone,

I am having the very same problem. Firefox for Win 10 doesnt support the Garmin Plugin anymore, neither!

:-(

Doc Woody

--Larry

Hi everyone,

I am having the very same problem. Firefox for Win 10 doesnt support the Garmin Plugin anymore, neither!

:-(

Doc Woody

I have used the communicator with Firefox and Windows 10, although most of the time I simply save the gpx file to my garmin rather than use the communicator. What do you have set as your default browser?

Cheech thanks it was that simples and I spent hrs trying thanks buddy all I did was type geocaching and clicked the 3 dots right upper side open in and hay presto works

YW! It took me some time, too. What I was wondering, is that there is no talk about this topic at all over the net although I think some thousands have the problem using a Garmin device and download caches via communicator and switched to Win10...

cacher greetings,

jan

Edited by DocWoody