FTF troubles

So today I got my first ftf, its a cache where your supposed to kayak from a dam up a river but I knew a trail. Worst idea ever but we got there, when we first go to the general area a guy and his kid came also looking for the cache. I was super scared he was gonna find it first because I wasn't gonna go all the way there for a bust the guy was in the location but couldn't find it so he walked away, I come over and found it. I got the first sign it the log and then told him it where it was so when I got home I logged it and then I looked a few minutes later and he logged "Happy to share the FTF"... REALLY? I found it and told you where it was because you had to leave soon and you don't even say 2TF. Im not a great sharer but was this right for the guy to do?

I'da smiled at him when I saw him after finding it and said: "It's there, alright."

I don't tell people where a cache is. Let 'em find it like I did. It's a game of FINDING, not COUNTING (at least to me).

So that being said, I'd make my log clear I found it first. Period. I found it while I was caching SOLO.

edited for speeling

Edited by ATMouse

It seems like he gave you credit for the Find in his log entry?

Happy to share FTF with Fischer513. He did find it though. Glad to see him get it, he didn't give up.

It was nice of you to let him know where it was. In the bigger scheme of things, you took the slightly higher road, but he probably could have phrased his Find log a bit differently.

Congrats!

Edit to add:

Looks like the scrolling banner on the Listing page has been added to give you credit for the FTF from the cache owner :)

Edited by Touchstone

I don't tell people where a cache is. Let 'em find it like I did. It's a game of FINDING, not COUNTING (at least to me).

He was coming over when I was signing the log but that's what I was gonna do but he would've saw me put it back.

Edited by Fisher513

He was coming over when I was signing the log but that's what I was gonna do but he would've saw me put it back. And he was in a rush...

These unofficial side games have no rules. When you choose to chase after FTFs you either have to accept that it's lawless chaos that you can't possibly control, or spend your time and effort fighting with people every time they run afoul of your arbitrary personal preferences.

Up to you, but letting it go is probably easier.

I knew there would be a bunch of folks chiming in about how they don't care about FTFs and that they are no bid deal..blah blah blah.

Fact is, it can be a nice and fun little way to distinguish yourself or brag (in a good-natured way) to fellow cachers.

My advice...poke fun at the guy. Not in a mean way...just write out how it went down in your log. I got a little jab in on some fellow cachers (http://coord.info/GLGGCZ2J). We had a good laugh about it at an event soon after.

Personally, unless it's actually a team effort, I never actually claim FTF, but never really get upset when the other person chooses to do so. Yeah, it's silly that they do, but in the end it's not that big a deal. If they found it first, I won't even mention FTF.

You could say you were the "FTF by land" or something. Just don't make a public issue out of it. It doesn't reflect well on you if you do.

I knew there would be a bunch of folks chiming in about how they don't care about FTFs and that they are no bid deal..blah blah blah.

Fact is, it can be a nice and fun little way to distinguish yourself or brag (in a good-natured way) to fellow cachers.

All true but we've also seen way too many instances where the "good natured" ribbing and celebrating quickly turns ugly. Getting a FTF can be a fun and memorable experience. It's when it turns into a dramatic showdown between two cachers that I wonder why in the world it means that much to either of them.

I am always happy to share the FTF with whoever is out there at the time. I just think it is really cool to meet other local cachers or other cachers in general. Everyone knows you found it first so no big deal. They also made the effort to go out there right away so why not let them have it on there list of ones they went after right away. If you had already left it would be a different issue but sounds like everyone was there and everyone knows you were the one to find the container.

I would become friends with this cacher as it could really help you out in the long run. A big part of this game for us is all the cool friends we have made.

I have had similar experiences, but the best thing about signing a new log is not using the three initials. It's just a find, based mostly on time, circumstances, and geography. Nothing to get too excited about. People who want to use the initials can claim whatever they want. Doing it that way takes a lot of the angst out of things.

In my experience, when multiple cachers meet and are searching for a FTF, they work together and "share" the FTF. So I think the other cacher assumed that process (though also giving you credit for actually finding it).

I've been in the situation where I arrived and other cachers were already looking. We worked together, i.e. I asked where they had already searched. I then looked somewhere they didn't search yet and I found it. I was first, but if it wasn't for them telling me where they looked already, I would have likely searched other places first and wouldn't have found it so quickly. It clearly was a team effort.

Here's the guy's log:

Happy to share FTF with Fischer513. He did find it though. Glad to see him get it, he didn't give up. We came by boat. See you in church Sunday Dodger...

Eh--I'd just let it go. If he'd have put FTF experience (add a word), perhaps it would have been better, but he was basically honest.

p.s.--and you've been declared such on the owner's banner for the page. Just let it go--you were to FTF, that's clear.

Edited by Dame Deco

I don't see the big deal. You had the first crack at swag and you got to take the FTF prize if there was one. So what if he adds 1 to his FTF count? No future finders are going to care if the FTF was solo or if a dozen cachers claimed FTF. Next go around, you both arrive at the same time and he finds it first and shares the honor with you.

Here's the guy's log:

Happy to share FTF with Fischer513. He did find it though. Glad to see him get it, he didn't give up. We came by boat. See you in church Sunday Dodger...

Eh--I'd just let it go. If he'd have put FTF experience (add a word), perhaps it would have been better, but he was basically honest.

p.s.--and you've been declared such on the owner's banner for the page. Just let it go--you were to FTF, that's clear.

In our many ftf attempts, i can only remember one time where a family arrived at the same time and made it obvious that they wanted to be alone to search. Can think of two reasons why they didn't want anyone else around. To experience that proud feeling of finding it themselves without any help or, that they were just stingy and wanted to have it all to themselves. I guess i can see the first as being important for a person but the second sure seems goofy.

The first scenario seems to be the case here. To the OP, you know you spotted it first and those other finders know that too. In fact, everyone who reads the cache logs knows this as well since the other finders acknowledged this in their log. You're the hero of the day. The other finder's logs talked about your dedication to finding the cache and you got a "ftf congratulations" on the cache page. It might just be me but i'd be more than happy with the way this all came out! B)

I only have one solo FTF. They are not a big deal to me, and not worth disrupting my routine. Having said that, there have been 3-4 times when I've been present for the FTF, but not the actual finder. In those cases, I've logged "co-FTF with [the finder's name]." I think the "co-FTF" says I was there for FTF, but the other cacher made the find.

But as someone else said, FTF is a side game with no defined rules. If someone ever got upset over me logging "co-FTF," I'd just change my log and be done with it. I cache for fun, so it's not worth getting me or anyone else upset about it.

He was coming over when I was signing the log but that's what I was gonna do but he would've saw me put it back. And he was in a rush...

Sounds like you both ruined each others experiences if you don't want to share the FTF. The way I see it you were co-finders if you handed him the geocache to sign.

Sounds like you both ruined each others experiences if you don't want to share the FTF. The way I see it you were co-finders if you handed him the geocache to sign.

HE was in a hurry and was coming over by me when i was signing the log and his kid watched me find it so he didnt really care that I told him it was there

HE was in a hurry and was coming over by me when i was signing the log and his kid watched me find it so he didnt really care that I told him it was there

I would have waited for them to leave just like any other muggles. After all, HE was in a hurry. :laughing:

I guess I don't get it.

Fisher513 says they were the FTF.

The other cachers both said Fisher513 was the FTF.

The CO says on the cache listing that Fisher513 was the FTF.

Where's the problem? It seems like it's universally agreed that Fisher513 was the FTF. Why does it matter what specific text the other guy puts in his log?

FWIW, I also agree that Fisher513 was the FTF based on the evidence provided, not that it should matter what anyone else thinks...

I would have waited for them to leave just like any other muggles. After all, HE was in a hurry. :laughing:

But then then he might have missed out on a ride back in the boat.

Edited by geodarts

I am always happy to share the FTF with whoever is out there at the time. I just think it is really cool to meet other local cachers or other cachers in general. Everyone knows you found it first so no big deal. They also made the effort to go out there right away so why not let them have it on there list of ones they went after right away. If you had already left it would be a different issue but sounds like everyone was there and everyone knows you were the one to find the container.

I would become friends with this cacher as it could really help you out in the long run. A big part of this game for us is all the cool friends we have made.

I am too. If someone shows up then I offer it. It's then their decision if they want to say co FTF or 2TF.

What I don't like is, example: Before I got a smartphone(6years)I saw two caches go live and I went and found both of them. After I did I had to go to work. When I got home and logged on I found some irate logs from the 2TF cachers because it took so long to log the FTF. Hmmm, these were not hikes, they were city caches that would have been found by someone quickly anyway, so why if they saw my signature on the logsheets only minutes after I found them, get upset that I didn't log it online yet?

I guess I don't get it.

Fisher513 says they were the FTF.

The other cachers both said Fisher513 was the FTF.

The CO says on the cache listing that Fisher513 was the FTF.

Where's the problem? It seems like it's universally agreed that Fisher513 was the FTF. Why does it matter what specific text the other guy puts in his log?

FWIW, I also agree that Fisher513 was the FTF based on the evidence provided, not that it should matter what anyone else thinks...

I don't get it either. The other finders acknowledged that Fisher was ftf. The other finders were nice enough to offer him a ride back to civilization. Then on top of that, the cache page itself congratulates him for being ftf.

If it's the fact that Fisher wanted to be alone out there then there's not much can be done about that. Finding geocaches can be done by one's self but honestly, our's is a social hobby where interaction with other participants can happen at any time. Personally, meeting up with someone on the trail, whether it's for an older cache or ftf, adds to the fun for me! :D

I am the one this kid, Fischer is referring to. For everyone's information, I knew he was very new and had no FTF's. I walked right to the cache first, saw it, and left it for him to find first. I was very happy to see a new cacher out there and to get that excited. Besides, we were looking together. If I did claim it as FTF, then I would also expect him to log the same, as everyone else does that looks together. I didn't know FTF meant anything anyway. Plus, we gave him and his sister a boat ride back to save them the 4 hour walk. I took a chance with only 3 life jackets, gave them to them, and I took the chance without one. So much for gratitude. I told everyone I knew about this trip, and everyone thought it was great that I let him find it first. My 8 year old asked why I did that, and I told him it was the right thing to do. I guess when I wrote something about sharing FTF, I meant experiencing a new cachers excitement.I don't do this game for FTF'S, just being out with my family and meeting new people along the way.Keep caching...

Edited by Team Lucky

Sounds like a simple misunderstanding to me. Some folks get a little picky about their FTFs, but I don't think this was personal. Just let it go and move on. It looks like it was logged as everyone wanted it to be anyway -- Fisher got the FTF that Lucky wanted him to have. Just goes to show, there are always two sides to every story.

Plus, we gave him and his sister a boat ride back to save them the 4 hour walk.

I don't use the three initials in any log, so that means little to me. But graciousness means a lot. And regardless of any initials, there have been times when I wished someone would be there with a boat. Or helicopter. Well done.

When I first started caching, FTF was a big deal to me, and I let myself get pretty disappointed when I didn't get it. Which seems especially comical to me, since I didn't (still don't) get email on my phone, meaning I had pretty much set me up for failure most of the time. But I remember at least one occasion where I was downright almost bitter about spotting a fellow cacher -- one who I hadn't even met, mind you -- coming from the cache location.

Since then I've been the first to find a cache about 70 times, and I'm past the point where I ditch work or leave the house early to go grab a cache. But I still feel a little excitement when I'm going for a remote cache that I know no one has logged yet. So yeah, even at the point where I don't intentionally seek it anymore, and even though I don't as a cache owner recognize which finder is "FTF" anymore, I still recognize it as a welcome state to be in.

That said -- if a cache had published one day and was yet unfound, and I really wanted to be first on it, I would probably not set myself up for disappointment by leaving notes such as:

Hoping to do this tomorrow... Not saying when Im going but no one is going to get it before me, hehehe.

Good on Team Lucky for giving the guy a sporting chance. But if the intent was to be the bigger person and be charitable to the kid, I think you defeated the purpose by then coming to the forums and being magnanimous about letting him be first. That just adds fuel to the ire. (Not a typo.) A private message or email might have been the way to go.

I am the one this kid, Fischer is referring to. For everyone's information, I knew he was very new and had no FTF's. I walked right to the cache first, saw it, and left it for him to find first. I was very happy to see a new cacher out there and to get that excited. Besides, we were looking together. If I did claim it as FTF, then I would also expect him to log the same, as everyone else does that looks together. I didn't know FTF meant anything anyway. Plus, we gave him and his sister a boat ride back to save them the 4 hour walk. I took a chance with only 3 life jackets, gave them to them, and I took the chance without one. So much for gratitude. I told everyone I knew about this trip, and everyone thought it was great that I let him find it first. My 8 year old asked why I did that, and I told him it was the right thing to do. I guess when I wrote something about sharing FTF, I meant experiencing a new cachers excitement.I don't do this game for FTF'S, just being out with my family and meeting new people along the way.Keep caching...

So much for being nice to get dragged through the forums here. Glad to hear your side.

On the other side of the coin, I just had a 6 cache trail published and the local first to find crew went out after dark to find them all. The cache was a historical GOLD MINING TRAIL and I had done a lot of research into laying the trail. The ideal way to appreciate this trail was during daylight hours, the first to find attitude killed it for me. The idiotic part about it is that that I knew they would do it. So do I bother with laying another cache trail? Only if I can make it so hard that nobody will find the caches, which is stupid, because nobody wins.

I thought the whole point of the experience was sharing, having fun and to a certain degree learning.

So what do I do about the FTF crew who continually want to spoil anyone else's chance at FTF or spoil a cache trail?

So what do I do about the FTF crew who continually want to spoil anyone else's chance at FTF or spoil a cache trail?

Nothing.

- The "FTF crew" is already willing to go out at night...

The FTF side-game doesn't have rules.

Anyone else wants to go for a FTF, they'll just have to figure some way to beat 'em. :)

Please explain how someone going for a FTF "spoils the trail".

Would someone taking their time and simply happen to get there first "spoil" it too?

FTF doesn't mean much to me (see my post above). But it appears to me from your post that the only thing spoiled is your attitude about this group.

These unofficial side games have no rules. When you choose to chase after FTFs you either have to accept that it's lawless chaos that you can't possibly control, or spend your time and effort fighting with people every time they run afoul of your arbitrary personal preferences.

+1

On the other side of the coin, I just had a 6 cache trail published and the local first to find crew went out after dark to find them all. The cache was a historical GOLD MINING TRAIL and I had done a lot of research into laying the trail. The ideal way to appreciate this trail was during daylight hours, the first to find attitude killed it for me. The idiotic part about it is that that I knew they would do it. So do I bother with laying another cache trail? Only if I can make it so hard that nobody will find the caches, which is stupid, because nobody wins.

I thought the whole point of the experience was sharing, having fun and to a certain degree learning.

I've placed theme caches, in a small group or series. For some inexplicable reason, they didn't all get published at once. One cacher didn't get all the FTFs at once. Strange, huh? Go figure. :ph34r:

Nothing.

Anyone else wants to go for a FTF, they'll just have to figure some way to beat 'em. :)

Would someone taking their time and simply happen to get there first "spoil" it too?

I guess I just do not understand the mentality of being the FTF when the trail is designed around features to be seen by day. To see what I have seen in the design of the trail by day and then want to share it with others by saying things in the description that you are walking on a specific type of geological era or that you should watch out for a specific animal, or that the gully you are looking at is named after a well known local family and then have someone just go in after dark just to get the FTF is pointless. Why did I bother to lay out the cache trail?

As far as spoiling the trail, it spoiled it for me. I spent a lot of time researching the trail and laying it, there is no way it could have been appreciated at night. It is like a self licking ice cream, how in the hell can you appreciate it?

Nothing.

I guess I just do not understand the mentality of being the FTF when the trail is designed around features to be seen by day. To see what I have seen in the design of the trail by day and then want to share it with others by saying things in the description that you are walking on a specific type of geological era or that you should watch out for a specific animal, or that the gully you are looking at is named after a well known local family and then have someone just go in after dark just to get the FTF is pointless. Why did I bother to lay out the cache trail?

As far as spoiling the trail, it spoiled it for me. I spent a lot of time researching the trail and laying it, there is no way it could have been appreciated at night. It is like a self licking ice cream, how in the hell can you appreciate it?

Those people are now gone, sometimes minutes after a new cache comes out.

The rest of the premium members might view the area as you see it, but realize that awesome areas with awesome hides still get tftc or similar logs, maybe not meeting your expectations. :)

Nothing.

To draw on your ice cream analogy, it's more like you sell someone an ice cream cone, and they throw it in the trash. Yes, you made it to be appreciated. But there's nothing you can do about it. Getting hung up about it has no value to anyone.

These cachers didn't break any Groundspeak rules. They played their own game. They really only shortchanged themselves. Open up your expectations. Not everyone caches for the same reason, and those who cache for reasons that are different from your own are not doing it wrong.

Hopefully this won't change the way you react in the future. You did the right thing and I hope your son has not been privy to any of this discussion. All he needs to know is daddy did a good deed and he should too when given the opportunity.

Nothing.

So no other cacher can appreciate it?

Nothing.

So no other cacher can appreciate it?

I did not say that no other cacher can appreciate it, all I was trying to get across was that if a description of the cache site indicates that it is best seen during the day, why bother raping it at night when the appreciation cannot be achieved? I thought the appreciation of geocaching was to do with the placement of the cache, if I meant it to be found at night, I would have said it was night cache. So far I guess I have hit a few raw nerves so I am going to lick mine, guess you should go and lick yours and forgive and forget.

Nothing.

Just because someone is starving and gulps down their meal at a fancy restaurant doesn't mean the other diners cannot enjoy the offerings of a Michelin Star chef. ;)

@boothie103

People do geocaching in different ways.

Some are in it for the location and the experience of the surroundings. They care about the quality of the hide and of the cache write-up. You have designed your trail for that type of geocacher.

Others are in it for the numbers: "Who cares about the type of container, the surroundings, or the cache write-up? A +1 is a +1! Series along a trail are even better because I can get more smileys in a shorter period of time."

And others are in it for the FTF rush. They'll go at all hours to be the first to sign their name to the log. The most important thing to them isn't the location, type of container, or cache write-up. A FTF is a FTF.

Unfortunately, you cannot limit your owned caches to a certain style of cacher. You're going to get the FTF cachers and the numbers cachers. You can't force them to change their style because the area is important to you. But you ARE going to get the experience cachers as well. They just take a little longer to get to your caches. :) Hang in there! If you build it, he will come.

Nothing.

Just because someone is starving and gulps down their meal at a fancy restaurant doesn't mean the other diners cannot enjoy the offerings of a Michelin Star chef. ;)

B) Cool answer and appreciated! I guess the FTF crew think it is their right to gulp any cache and not respect the intent of the cache! So do I still Congratulate them as the FTF without any form of sarcasm as it is tempting to try and do it! I know sarcasm is the poorest form of wit, but it is sometimes gratifying.+

Too bad you didn't tell this charming story in your log. Not only could you have showed the newbie how to write a great log entry, it would have made it clear to him what was going on and how much you enjoyed meeting him.