Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
missuncharted

Which do you Prefer?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I am curious to know what people prefer doing. I am trying to plan something for my family and friends.

Would you prefer doing a whole day of geocaching?

Or

Going for say two to three days (weekend) and backpacking along the way?

Thanks!

I appreciate the input

Do what works best for you and your family. That's the only thing that counts. What anybody else does, doesn't matter or may not be compatible with you and yours.

I would want to do a whole day of geocaching. That's just me though. Do what you guys want to do.

I like to incorporate geocaching into whatever I'm doing - within reason. If I'm on a hike and a cache is a major detour, I ignore it, but if its on the way I'll look for it. Similarly if I'm on a canoe trip I'll look for caches along the route, but ignore those that will cause me to stop and spend time looking for it.

A full day of geocaching can be fun too. I've done that and I enjoy it. Bottom line is to do it the way you want to do it and don't worry so much about how others enjoy the sport.

I've done both, I've been out for a whole day with friends, perhaps doing a local trail or trying to find all the caches in a particular area. I've also planned 3 day hiking trips and just found a few that are along the way or at interesting locations.

If you want to make geocaching the main activity then you can try and find loads in a day, if you are planning something else such as hiking, camping or sightseeing then you can find a few caches that are in those areas and fit some caches around your other activities.

This is one of the things I like about caching, you can do as much or as little as you want and fit it around whatever you do.

The OP never did log any finds, so I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, I'm chiming in late. However, I would say that if you're going with family and friends who are not geocachers, maybe do a day-trip, but limit it to 3 geocaches, unless they are really keen. Some people may not be that into it.

Excellent advice. It's not so much what you want to do--it's what the rest of the group wants to do.

Try doing something different each time.!!

Going for 2-3 days and backpacking along the way. Guess it would be the best way

The very best geocaching days are those that take you to places you'd never think of going.  Only been in the game six months, but have found myself atop mountains, along the Oregon Trail, fording swift Rocky Mountain Rivers, and overcoming my fear of heights, and paddling a kayak out to islands in the middle of a large reservoir, as well as visiting several out-of-the way historic sites.