7 hours in IAH

Ibar

Hi,

In a couple of months I'll be travelling around the USA. Looking at my flights it seems I'll have a 7 hours layover in IAH. I remember being there in my pre-geocaching days, and it took me forever to switch terminals with plenty of security checks, but still 7 hours is a LOT of time, so I may try to do a bit of geocaching around.

Looking at the map it looks pretty desert around the airport, but anyway, any recommendation/hints for a quick geocaching around, probably with a trolley and no, I won't rent a car?

Do you think creating an event in IAH would have any chance of success?

Looking forward to your ideas

Thanks in advance

Edited by Ibar

Hi,

In a couple of months I'll be travelling around the USA. Looking at my flights it seems I'll have a 7 hours layover in IAH. I remember being there in my pre-geocaching days, and it took me forever to switch terminals with plenty of security checks, but still 7 hours is a LOT of time, so I may try to do a bit of geocaching around.

Looking at the map it looks pretty desert around the airport, but anyway, any recommendation/hints for a quick geocaching around, probably with a trolley and no, I won't rent a car?

Do you think creating an event in IAH would have any chance of success?

Looking forward to your ideas

Thanks in advance

IAH is the Bush airport ort in Houston for those who don't recognize the code.

Many US airports have done away with baggage lockers so you will need to keep all of your carry on items with you.

I think you should consider making contact with one or more local cachers and asking if one of them would pick you up to find a few caches and have lunch or dinner as your guest.

You may find it hard to arrange a venue for a minimum 30 minute event that would be convenient for you in your situation as well as for local cachers to attend. The volunteer reviewer may or may not look favorably on a proposed event that is primarily for your personal benefit but if you can get a local to create an event there should be at least two attendees.

Hope it works out for you.

I keep a list of caches near enough to airports to snag during layovers like that. Unfortunately, IAH is one of the airports I've never been able to marry up to some caches. Airport caches are not as common in the USA due to security concerns.

Unfortunately, while I am in Texas, I'm sort of on the other end (El Paso), so I won't be of much help.

Taxi, perhaps? Or a bus?