how do i get rid of the new search stuff

k7da

how do i get rid of the new search stuff and go back the the old way.

this new search page is just a waste of time.

maybe ok for a nubi but i find it worthless and a time waster.

make an option for older users that don't need it.

dave

how do i get rid of the new search stuff and go back the the old way.

this new search page is just a waste of time.

maybe ok for a nubi but i find it worthless and a time waster.

make an option for older users that don't need it.

dave

There's no way for you to "get rid" of the new search.

I don't think GS is going to be getting rid of it any time soon.

But for right now, when you go to the new search page:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

in the bottom right corner is a link that says "Take me to the old Search".

Have you tried clicking that link?

B.

yes i see that

but what i was looking for was to just get rid of the extra pages that must be gone through to get to something useful.

the new search page appears to be useful for only 30 miles and i have logged every thing within 50 miles. so what is the advantage?

just a waste of time to keep some programmer employed!

so i guess we are stuck with the added burden.

dave

the new search page appears to be useful for only 30 miles and i have logged every thing within 50 miles. so what is the advantage?

Putting a location in the first search box limits the search to 30 miles. Leave that blank and click on Add Filters. There you'll have to add a parameter to limit the search, such as a state/province/country. But yes, you can use the new search past 30 miles.

It's counter-intuitive, but right now it is what it is.

yes i see that

but what i was looking for was to just get rid of the extra pages that must be gone through to get to something useful.

dave

For what it's worth, and for as long as the old search is still functioning, make a bookmark on your browser for the link to the old search page:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/

I've got a folder of bookmarked links under "Geocaching". Links for the forum, the new search, the old search, the old "newest in" my province, the Help Center and one for the Road Trip 2015. One click to whichever one I want.

I'm surprised that the old search is still functioning. I thought for sure it would have "gone away" long before now.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

yes i see that

dave

For what it's worth, and for as long as the old search is still functioning, make a bookmark on your browser for the link to the old search page:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/

I've got a folder of bookmarked links under "Geocaching". Links for the forum, the new search, the old search, the old "newest in" my province, the Help Center and one for the Road Trip 2015. One click to whichever one I want.

I'm surprised that the old search is still functioning. I thought for sure it would have "gone away" long before now.

B.

There are still a couple of core pieces of functionality that still need to be addressed before GS is likely going to pull the plug on it. Most significantly, we can't download search results in bulk via a pocket query or any other means other than selecting each cache one by one.

Although we *can* view results on a map, from what I understand, the map page doesn't understand the new filters (corrected coordinates, with/without a personal note, favorites), thus it's rendered without the sidebar that includes a link to download the caches on the map as a PQ.

I believe that the old search *will* go away, and in fact it was temporarily hidden when the new search first came out, so for those that are just ignoring the new search by using a bookmark or the "Use the Old Search" link it might be a good idea to get used to how it works because it just doesn't make sense to support two different search mechanism and it's not the new search that is going to go away.

Putting a location in the first search box limits the search to 30 miles. Leave that blank and click on Add Filters. There you'll have to add a parameter to limit the search, such as a state/province/country. But yes, you can use the new search past 30 miles.

There is no way with the new search to obtain all unfound caches around certain coordinates within a radius of say 50 miles. There is a way to trick the new search to use different states at the same time and then one could sort the results subject to distance, but this then does not exactly provide what is asked for in the OP.

There exists a distance parameter in the new search too but unlike for the old search, increasing the upper bound manually, does not lead to results beyond the 30 miles radius. One gets the same results whichever value one uses for the bound beyond 30.

so for those that are just ignoring the new search by using a bookmark or the "Use the Old Search" link it might be a good idea to get used to how it works

Not a good advice for basic members. Getting used to how the system is a trivial job with some basic experience (I refer to the functionality for PMs). The issue is just that the functionality

for basic members is almost zero.

There is no way with the new search to obtain all unfound caches around certain coordinates within a radius of say 50 miles. There is a way to trick the new search to use different states at the same time and then one could sort the results subject to distance, but this then does not exactly provide what is asked for in the OP.

There exists a distance parameter in the new search too but unlike for the old search, increasing the upper bound manually, does not lead to results beyond the 30 miles radius. One gets the same results whichever value one uses for the bound beyond 30.

He doesn't want a limit of 50 miles. He wants things PAST 50 miles, since he's cleared his area.

He doesn't want a limit of 50 miles. He wants things PAST 50 miles, since he's cleared his area.

50 was just an example. You could also put 60 or 80 or 100 there. The result stays the same. The new search fails.

Edited by cezanne
[...] 50 was just an example. You could also put 60 or 80 or 100 there. The result stays the same. The new search fails.

Cezanne, you're talking nuts. Please have a look at this (new search) result:

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?asq=cmFkaXVzPTE2a20mdHlwZXM9MTM3JnI9MTQy#?ll=52.656048,9.040885&z=7

I cannot look at it right now as noone who is a PM is around. When I made some experiments when a PM was around, I failed to increase the search over the limit that the system offers (I just tried to edit the html command that was delivered by one of the search commands the new search delivers directly - for the old search such simple changes worked fine).

Can you explain what the command above is doing and how you obtained the command?

The map in the command above lets me guess that the results are displayed on the map. Is there a list form too?

Edited by cezanne
[...] Can you explain what the command above is doing and how you obtained the command?

No, because there is no special command. It's just the resulting url from a plain New Search- done via the gui.

Why are you talking about things you can't know anything about as a base member? That's what I call nuts.

Hans

Edit: typo

Edited by HHL

No, because there is no special command. It's just the resulting url from a plain New Search- done via the gui.

Why are you talking about things you can't know anything about as a base member? That's what I call nuts.

What I tried to do when a PM was around is to use the new search like it is offered for the Road trip and to a larger number than 30 into the radius command. That failed while it works for the old

search.

How to you get a list of say all unfound ECs around the coordinates you used in your search within 100 km (not a map with the search results)?

[...]

How to you get a list of say all unfound ECs around the coordinates you used in your search within 100 km (not a map with the search results)?

That does not work. But you can search an entire state (with a trick even more than one). The map I showed is just the result of a new search result.

Hans

so for those that are just ignoring the new search by using a bookmark or the "Use the Old Search" link it might be a good idea to get used to how it works

Not a good advice for basic members. Getting used to how the system is a trivial job with some basic experience (I refer to the functionality for PMs). The issue is just that the functionality

for basic members is almost zero.

My suggestion applies to basic members as well. When the old search goes away, and I have zero doubt that it will go away, both premium and basic members will only have the new search available. If basic member find that the search mechanism doesn't provide the functionality they want, they can either to limp by with what functionality they get, quit the game, or become a premium member.

The day that the new search was release I wrote that the 30 mile proximity limit was inadequate and dozens of others have wrote about it as well. I think it's safe to say that GS is well aware that the 30 mile limit for proximity searches is an issue and changing it is likely a matter of changing one line of code which contains a single integer value. It would likely be extremely easy to change *IF* GS chose to do so.

My suggestion applies to basic members as well. When the old search goes away, and I have zero doubt that it will go away, both premium and basic members will only have the new search available. If basic member find that the search mechanism doesn't provide the functionality they want, they can either to limp by with what functionality they get, quit the game, or become a premium member.

But why should they use a search tool right now which offers no useful functionality to them? None of the 3 alternatives you mention make sense to be carried out already now.

The day that the new search was release I wrote that the 30 mile proximity limit was inadequate and dozens of others have wrote about it as well. I think it's safe to say that GS is well aware that the 30 mile limit for proximity searches is an issue and changing it is likely a matter of changing one line of code which contains a single integer value. It would likely be extremely easy to change *IF* GS chose to do so.

A lot of things are easy to change if they chose to do so, but have never happened.

[...]

That does not work. But you can search an entire state (with a trick even more than one). The map I showed is just the result of a new search result.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that PMs can search entire states (or even countries with some exceptions) and also of the trick thanks to one of your posts.

The nicest feature of the old search in my opinion is however that it can do what I mentioned above and moreover the list output is much nicer and much more

compact than the list output the new search delivers.

What I try to say with my post is exactly that the new search cannot do what the old can do as explained above and confirmed by you.

Not a good advice for basic members. Getting used to how the system is a trivial job with some basic experience (I refer to the functionality for PMs). The issue is just that the functionality for basic members is almost zero.

I agree.

Something as simple as "filter out finds" is now (with the new search) a PM function.

Easier to search that way by profile...

Pretty-much the same on all filters but cache type.

- The reason I'm getting used to simply finding caches I'll do through other channels (as well as the old search).