Bike it caches?

nikcap

Balderdash is in a very popular mountain bike area.

There's a good mix of flat and challenging terrain but you may find it difficult to ride while carrying reference material in one hand! (you'll understand this when you find the cache).

Seriously - it'd be a fun cache to do by mountainbike.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

There is no such thing as "fun for the whole family." -Jerry Seinfeld

I agree with Hart about his Balderdash cache. Orange and Jungle Green's A Walk Along The Wall is also a good bike cache.

In Bergen County, you can get Video Shop and Saddle River Seeker by the Artful Dodger, along with Ed634's Saddle River Dunker Hook caches on a nice bike ride through Saddle River Park. The Artful Dodger's Jukebox was also along the way, but it's disabled at the moment.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

This week-end I went out on a couple trails around RB Winter Park with the thought of creating a biking cache.

YIPES!

I thought I was a fairly competent biker but I was certainly humbled by those trails. Narrow, infrequently blazed and very often more quarry- than trail-like I had to fight to stay on my bike.

A fight I lost not a few times.

Maybe I'll stick to the game lands for biking caches!

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

Magoo slaps his forehead! I DID mountian bike Balderdash (the visit with my sons). Caqnt beleive I forgot that. Fun, I would consider it a medium difficulty in some spots but mostly very reasonable trails of the beginner to advance beginner level.

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."

This seems to be a really old thread..but also looking for a good area for biking...

how about Stewart Forest near Newburg NY....its next to the airport.

Any one been in there with a bike?

Absolutely. That place is perfect for a bike. I think there are over a hundred caches in there to choose from also. Some won't be reachable by bike but I've had no problem stashing it and hiking to the tougher ones.

There are several good biking books that cover that area, the one that comes to mind is Mountain Biking the Mid Hudson Valley.

The Orange Heritage Trail in Monroe NY, should be reachable from CT by taking Route 84 and it has a number of interesting caches and features.

The Wallkill Valley Rail Trail in New Paltz NY is similarly accessable from CT and is a pleasant rail trail ride, it has been some time since I have ridden it, but there are several caches in New Paltz.

For Metro Area cachers, I highly recommend biking Central Park, NYC as well as the West Side Bike Way. Biking and caching in NYC is fun most fine.

The Bergen County Bike Path if done early AM before the crowds

Paulinskill Rail Trail in Sussex Co --many caches

Sussex Rail Trail in whoa, Sussex Co- how do they come up with these names, a rougher almost flat single track ride. with some caching opportunity.

The Devil's Hole - GCGY04 was a fun 5/5 multi cache that I completed in about 4 hours in 1 day although it can be completed over several trips if you prefer. I rode my mountain bike to each stage and it was a thrill to complete. It might be tought to complete on a road bike since the stages are off a rail trail but you can drive/ bike via roadways that cross the trail and walk in from there.

I agree with Hart about his Balderdash cache. Orange and Jungle Green's <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24507&log=y&decrypt=" TARGET=_blank>A Walk Along The Wall</A> is also a good bike cache. <BR><BR>In Bergen County, you can get <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26354" TARGET=_blank>Video Shop </A> and <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=7781&log=y&decrypt=" TARGET=_blank>Saddle River Seeker</A> by the Artful Dodger, along with Ed634's <A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14870&log=y&decrypt=" TARGET=_blank>Saddle River Dunker Hook</A> caches on a nice bike ride through Saddle River Park. The Artful Dodger's Jukebox was also along the way, but it's disabled at the moment.<BR><BR><BR>"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

and Bergen County Parks cache

We have a "Stages of Life" series on an eight mile (round trip) level , good if you want to take the family.

On the Nor-Bath Trail in Bath, PA.

Starts with GCWAH2. Eight caches total, with another (GC145MG) near parking.

Easy ride and nine smileys.

Muggles ridin' too, so the hides however, may not all be so easy. :lol:

This is a pretty old topic so I'm not sure it's still of interest to the OP, but with the recent posts...I'll chime in. Can't help with NJ or NEPA bike caches; however, I know that ekitt10 visits my local area from time to time. So...if you want to hit a few bike trail caches when visiting your brother, check out my 4 Mile, W&OD, Custis, Mt. Vernon, CCT Bike Cache public bookmark. There are currently 83 active caches on those trails.

Bill