QR codes

los_pajaros

You cannot set up a QR code as a geocache. A geocache must have a container and a log.

You could use a QR code as a stage of a multi-cache. Seekers would scan the QR code, which would provide information about the next stage of the multi-cache. Or you could use a QR code (perhaps hidden in a larger image) as part of a puzzle cache. And there are some trackable tags with QR codes in the Groundspeak online store.

But almost all of the QR codes I've seen while geocaching have been part of a different game, not related to the geocaches at all.

all of the ones i have seen and ran into (about 3 or 4 of them) are the caches themselves. when you scan them they tell you the name of the cache and to log on and mark it as found. these were marked on the play map as regular caches and not the new qr challenge.

QR Challenge? What is that?

Are you sure they are geocaches and not munzees? Or stages of a multicache listed on Groundspeak?

What are the GC codes of the ones that tell you the name of the cache?

B.

I first encountered the QR codes used in geocaching on Garmin's site as verification codes. That was before Munzee. If Groundspeak had them, I would use them as verification codes.

But Munzee, it's a public property defacing game that I want no part of. I've seem too many placed on public property where they don't belong, and that is one of the major problems that I forsee with the use of them as geocaches. A geocache needs a container and a log, and if QR codes were allowed that is what geocaching would decline to, QR codes every 528 feet in the name of geoart.

all of the ones i have seen and ran into (about 3 or 4 of them) are the caches themselves. when you scan them they tell you the name of the cache and to log on and mark it as found. these were marked on the play map as regular caches and not the new qr challenge.

I have read through all of your Found caches and either from the cache page or from others' logs, I have determined that none of your finds are QR codes--all are actual caches with containers and logs.

Please give us the GC codes of the QR codes that you think are geocaches.

Edited: after reading MPH's post I went to that other caching site and I think that might be the answer. OC has QR codes for verification, though I didn't find anything about a QR challenge (but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.)

Edited by NanCycle

I have read through all of your Found caches and either from the cache page or from others' logs, I have determined that none of your finds are QR codes--all are actual caches with containers and logs.

Edited: after reading MPH's post I went to that other caching site and I think that might be the answer. OC has QR codes for verification, though I didn't find anything about a QR challenge (but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.)

If it is the QR challenge, it's the OCNA site. Garmin's site is OX, like this site is GC. The code prefix.

If it is the QR challenge, it's the OCNA site. Garmin's site is OX, like this site is GC. The code prefix.

Thanks for the clarification. In any case the OP is going to McDonalds and asking for a Whopper.

Back in the day of Geocaching Challenges (RIP, not to be confused with Challenge Caches), there were various types of Geocaching Challenges. One of the types that was rumored, but which never materialized, was a QR Challenge. IIRC, there was even a promotional video that described QR Challenges. But it's hard to find information about Geocaching Challenges now.
Back in the day of Geocaching Challenges (RIP, not to be confused with Challenge Caches), there were various types of Geocaching Challenges. One of the types that was rumored, but which never materialized, was a QR Challenge. IIRC, there was even a promotional video that described QR Challenges. But it's hard to find information about Geocaching Challenges now.

Ah, yes, okay. I vaguely remember.

Hey, check this out:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=tag.search&id=2

Go ahead and click the link "QR Challenges".

:huh:

B.

Ah, yes, okay. I vaguely remember.

Hey, check this out:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=tag.search&id=2

Go ahead and click the link "QR Challenges".

:huh:

B.

That is so awesome! I was totally unaware of those. :anicute: