Active Zone == Zone in range?

wanrex

I am building a cart (Earwigo) with more than 10 zones at a time.

I read some guidelines that suggest to keep not more than 5/7/10 zone.

I tried with 7 active zone on my andrord (LG G3, 3GB ram), it crashed occasionally (not responding, need to kill the apps), so I suspected it is the problem of too many zones.

And I just notice, there is an option in zone called "In range", I can set a zone visible within certain distance, say 1km, then the number of visible zone will fewer in the apps.

So, I just wonder, does "Active Zone" identical to "Zone in Range"? Does it consume the same amount of resource or less?

E.g. There are 10 active zone in total, I tried to limit the "zone in range" to 5, does it help to avoid the crash problem?

Thanks in advance.

If a zone is active, it will be processed by the Wherigo Player, regardless of whether it is within range. You can think of "in range" being a visibility toggle, controlled by the distance value you set. Even if the zone does not show on the list--same as invisible zones--if it's active, it's still being processed by the Player. This is necessary because the Player needs to process the distance calculation to determine whether the active zone should be shown within the list of zones. (In addition, there's the calculation of the zone's bounding perimeter to see if the player has gotten within proximity or distanced him/herself from the zone.)

I have higher hopes that the WF Player app will be able to support far more active zones.

Speculation: I'm wondering if the phone is sending GPS position updates multiple times a second to your app, which in turn is performing the full set of calculations each time it receives an update. I read in an article that's the difference between cell phones and traditional handheld GPS units: the position update frequency. As long as you're on foot, shouldn't once per second be sufficient? This is all speculation because I do not know how the apps are handling the increased frequency of updates.

Thanks for the reply.

I was really frustrated when I figure out it crash on my LG phone.

Then I tried many methods, like "removing all images" to make a light version, "inactivate most of the waypoints" etc, and it still crash!

Finally, I figure out, it only crash on my LG G3, I tried to run at Iphone, Samsung phones, all work perfectly...

Anyway, it was good to know at least.

Thanks for the help again!

I think so, for now. There has been internal talk of reaching a milestone publishing to the Google Play and the App Store, but this will take a little while because they're doing this in their spare time. Charlenni and Mangatome would be the best ones to ask (in the thread I linked to in my previous post). I know there's an easy way to get the iOS app because that's what I use.