Geocoin with Code says it does not exist

nyc-slc

Hi all,

I retrieved a "mini-geocoin" (Move within 14 days or Bad Mojo, Bad Luck, and Bad Karma will follow you.) It has a tracking code that starts with three 0's (zeros) and it seems to be very official looking, but when I put the code in the trackables page, it says: "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system."

I tried retrieving a code for it, thinking maybe it had not be activated. Again, it said it does not exist.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!!

That's very unusual for a tracking code to begin with 000. Some will have sequential numbers after the tracking code, as in PCABCD-1234. Just ignore the sequential part. Also 0s look like Os, 1s look like Is, 8s like Bs, 2s like Zs, 5s like Ss etc. so use a magnifying lens to make sure.

Edited by Droo

That's very unusual for a tracking code to begin with 000. Some will have sequential numbers after the tracking code, as in PCABCD-1234. Just ignore the sequential part. Also 0s look like Os, 1s look like Is, 8s like Bs, 2s like Zs, 5s like Ss etc. so use a magnifying lens to make sure.

Thank you! I thought it unusual that it starts with 000 too.

Thank you! I thought it unusual that it starts with 000 too.

How many more characters does it have after the 3 zeroes? All tracking codes are 6 characters and are alphanumeric, so if "zero" doesn't work, try "letter O" even "Q" etc. And look at them very carefully to be sure they are all exactly the same.

Hi all,

I retrieved a "mini-geocoin" (Move within 14 days or Bad Mojo, Bad Luck, and Bad Karma will follow you.) It has a tracking code that starts with three 0's (zeros) and it seems to be very official looking, but when I put the code in the trackables page, it says: "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system."

I tried retrieving a code for it, thinking maybe it had not be activated. Again, it said it does not exist.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!!

What is the GC code of the cache where you found it?

B.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I wonder if someone placed a sample or proof coin. I see similar coins online with "000" style tracking numbers, but they're examples, not trackable.

Hi all,

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!!

B.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCR3VR_the-geography-club?guid=4107185e-3010-447b-a2a2-256b6b5178d6#

I tried looking to see if it was in the cache's inventory already. :(

Hi all,

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!!

B.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCR3VR_the-geography-club?guid=4107185e-3010-447b-a2a2-256b6b5178d6#

I was going to suggest reading through previous logs to see if someone mentioned dropping that coin prior to when you found the cache.

But your log for that cache is from 2011. Is that when you retrieved it from the cache?

B.

It sounds like an Extagz logging number to me. :blink:

dba406c7-accf-4424-b05f-ff51ecb9eac7.jpg

They do seem to start with "000". But they also have the form factor of another non-trackable "coin", and neither says "Track at Geocaching.com", there's specifically another web site for each, inscribed on them. I'd be surprised if the OP who has logged a bunch of Groundspeak Trackables, didn't notice that. I did a gallery search with no results, but maybe I didn't have the right key word.

I found a photo of a "serial number" on a "Bad Mojo" Trackable (I guess a full-sized custom shaped coin), and it starts with "000" (or it sure looks like it) and it is inscribed "Trackable at Geocaching.com". The particular number in the photo seems to be not Trackable. There was a smaller coin version, perhaps just coincidental that its namesake has a pictured "000" number. But it's quite a coincidence. B)

Edited by kunarion

Does it state anywhere on the coin something like ... "Track at Geocaching.com" ??

All trackable geocoins are required to have that (or similar) statement visible somewhere on the coin.

It has "Trackable at Geocaching.com" right by the code... weird, right??

Does it state anywhere on the coin something like ... "Track at Geocaching.com" ??

All trackable geocoins are required to have that (or similar) statement visible somewhere on the coin.

What cache did you find it in?

Here's a picture of sample coins, not the exact style of coin the OP found, but possibly made by the same company. These all have "000" Tracking numbers, and it's not likely that three coins will have the same Tracking number. These are examples of coins to be minted, not intended to be placed into caches. The OP's mini-coin version could be a sample, too. If it's this same number, it certainly wasn't intended to be tracked, and may have been placed by accident. It would be an interesting challenge to somehow track down the owner.

67bb85b9-0c55-4500-ba7e-759b4d02931c.jpg

Edited by kunarion

The 'sample' coin seems to be the most likely explanation and from an earlier period. Most of the 'sample' coins I've seen lately have [ SAMPxx ] (or similar) on the coin. How it got into a cache is open to much speculation. A collector who quit caching or collecting, or both. There are as many possible reasons as the imagination could conjure up.

I have just picked up a geocoin proxy at a meet. It says on it track this geocoin at geocaching.com. It has a 6 digit/ letter code on but it says it is unknown on the system.

It says on the wallet it is in that it was got whilst attending GEOWOODSTOCK XII in 2014, please log and move on, but I can't log it.

Any ideas?

Trackable code GWO8XY (and I've tried O and 0)

I have just picked up a geocoin proxy at a meet. It says on it track this geocoin at geocaching.com. It has a 6 digit/ letter code on but it says it is unknown on the system.

It says on the wallet it is in that it was got whilst attending GEOWOODSTOCK XII in 2014, please log and move on, but I can't log it.

That seems to have not been activated. You should remove that tracking number from your post, it's supposed to be a secret. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

What cache did you find it in?

Hi all,

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!!

B.

I was going to suggest reading through previous logs to see if someone mentioned dropping that coin prior to when you found the cache.

But your log for that cache is from 2011. Is that when you retrieved it from the cache?

B.

http://coord.info/GCR3VR

B.