GPX downloads to Linux Ubuntu

HELP!

Does anyone else use Linux Ubuntu and know how to download GPX files onto a GPS??

(I have an eTrex 30x but only yeuky windows & Apple downloads are available)

Is is possible to find the raw GPX files for manual cut-&-paste??

Any & all help gratefully received.

Well if you were a premium member the answer is yes. But first you have to answer the question does you linux system see the Etrex 30x as a disk drive?

ETA: You can save gpx files from the cache page or as PQ's. These are not OS specific.

Edited by jholly

This reply may not help much, but...

Back when I used a Garmin, I'd fire up a Windows XP virtual machine in my Linux host to deal with GPX files. Why? Because GSAK only works in Windows. It was straightforward to "pass thru" the USB port (with Garmin attached) to the VM.

But when I wanted to just manipulate files directly, I'd do that directly in Linux (Mint, derived from Ubuntu) without the VM. Put the Garmin (60CSx) into mass storage mode while plugged in, and bingo, the Linux system sees it.

With a modern Garmin like yours, it should be simple to download the GPX files to your hard drive (Linux) like any other file, then copy them directly to the unit in mass storage mode. (My old unit wouldn't understand GPX, so I needed that GSAK step.)

Don't waste time with that "Send to My GPS" option on the cache page. Use the GPX option right beside it, or go straight to Pocket Queries for bigger, meatier GPX files.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Thanks guys. :D

Both answers good but I'm not a premium member (just starting out so not prepared to spend the cash until I'm sure I'm hooked!)

My ideal would be to download the GPX file & transfer it using the Garmin as a USB drive but, as usual, it's more about the money than making it work for newcomers!

Might try a short term membership just to see if it's worth it....

Thanks again!

I'm not sure if you have access to GPX files at all as a basic member; I think all you get are LOC files, which are similar, but contain only basic info.

gpsbabel is very useful for converting between formats. It'll convert LOC to GPX, and it's available for Linux.

(Current Garmins understand GPX files, but according to a very recent thread here, they don't understand LOC files.)

Not to push the premium membership, but the benefits are worth the cost.

-Pocket Queries (now called custom search)

-Find along route - good for road trips

-notifications - great if you want to race for FTF, but also useful to let you know when new caches become available or re-enabled, and for notifications of events.

-lists - can be useful

-API access - great for use of 3rd party applications.