Log date is wrong

SMT58

Also, when you log a cache on the web site, the date used is the date in Seattle (Pacific Time). You appear to be in another time zone, so there will be times of the day when the date in your local time zone is different from the date in Seattle.

When you log before 9:00 in the morning, you need to change the date as the server's date is for the day before.

Spare a thought for those of us who have this problem for anything logged before 17:00, then :angry:

Log dates on all caches over here are a joke. Roughly half will be wrong by a day. But since the problem doesn't affect those living around the Lilypad, it's not a priority to fix.

It's been broken forever, but with the trend towards logging in the field, it's just getting worse and worse.

Edited by EngPhil

Spare a thought for those of us who have this problem for anything logged before 17:00, then :angry:

My post was just directed to the person from the Brussels time zone.

It's been broken forever, but with the trend towards logging in the field, it's just getting worse and worse.

Actually, against this trend my own trend is to find less and less time to log my finds on the day I visited the cache - so I do not care that much as I need

to adapt the date anyway.

It annoys me much more that I cannot preset a date when uploading photos for a log. All dates need to be changed in a second step.

I have my settings (profile) on UTC, the same goes for my GPS and computers. Getting home after a day caching I load geocache_visits.txt into GSAK, write logs, click "publish all" .. done. Dates are always correct. At this time of year local time is UTC+2.

Of course, it would be nice if GS would (after 15 years)fix this problem of running their servers on Pacific time and use the standards the rest of the world uses :ph34r:

But then again, the list of "things to fix" is getting longer and longer.

Actually, against this trend my own trend is to find less and less time to log my finds on the day I visited the cache - so I do not care that much as I need

to adapt the date anyway.

To be clear, I'm generally not too badly affected personally with this problem, since I use an app that has some seriously twisted logic buried in it to ensure that log dates end up correct.

(It involves calculating deltas between my local time and Seattle time, and crafting a timestamp that is on the same calendar day in both timezones...)

I also usually use field notes, and complete the logs sometime later at home, but whether I do that or log from the field (usually only for an FTF), this app gets it right.

However, anyone using the Frog's own apps will invariably suffer incorrect dates. So around half of all logs tend to be off by a day -- leading to some rather bizarre chronology of logs online, and caches being disabled the day before being found (since you can't correct the date on a "Disable" log, amongst others....)

All of my finds logged this weekend (July 25/26) are showing up as logged Thursday, July 23. Am I imagining things, or was there a site maintenance update earlier this week...? Perhaps something got broken?

How do you log? Website? app? other?

How do you log? Website? app? other?

I log everything via the website.

OK, Then you will see "date logged" where you should just choose the correct date. The default date is of course the Seattle date but you can just change that if necessary.

OK, Then you will see "date logged" where you should just choose the correct date. The default date is of course the Seattle date but you can just change that if necessary.

Yes, but my point is that this never used to happen; the correct date always used to appear in my logs by default. And anyway, unless I've magically been transported to another planet this weekend, it should be impossible to live in a time zone that's more than one day off with respect to Seattle. My logs shouldn't be dated three days ago; hence, something is broken.

Yes, but my point is that this never used to happen; the correct date always used to appear in my logs by default. And anyway, unless I've magically been transported to another planet this weekend, it should be impossible to live in a time zone that's more than one day off with respect to Seattle. My logs shouldn't be dated three days ago; hence, something is broken.

I know the date can be "sticky". I mean that when logging on the website and you change the date to "1/1/2000" you will see the same date when logging the next cache without you having to change it again.

I haven't logged on the site for a very long time but occasionally I log TBs on the site (if a TB was not yet in the inventory when I logged via the API) and I see that the date remains sticky across the different logs.

Sorry Cezanne, this doen't work. before or after 09 am. And indeed as others mention it is not so important but i am busy with a 50 (or 100) days challenge and than it is of course better to have a correct date.

Are you logging via a smartphone app? I was having logging from the website in mind and there what I wrote above is correct.

I log all my logs with the correct date which I choose manually if the suggested one is not correct.

hi all, just lending some weight to this issue as well; starting two weeks ago, dates are not showing up properly when logging (can change manually of course, but now need to check), has nothing to do with seattle server times; on the 20th I pressed log find, and it defaulted to the 17th. on the 22nd it defaulted to the 20th. fellow cacher found same issue separately. pretty positive it's not at any user's end is what I'm saying.

hi all, just lending some weight to this issue as well; starting two weeks ago, dates are not showing up properly when logging (can change manually of course, but now need to check), has nothing to do with seattle server times; on the 20th I pressed log find, and it defaulted to the 17th. on the 22nd it defaulted to the 20th. fellow cacher found same issue separately. pretty positive it's not at any user's end is what I'm saying.

Our devs are looking into the issue now.

Our devs are looking into the issue now.

Sure would be nice...I noticed the date wasn't rolling forward sometime ago...being stat junkys its an annoyance for sure...what broke?

So in New Zealand, if using the Geocaching Ap any log before 7pm it shows the date one day prior (NZ is GMT +12 or +13 at moment during daylight savings).

Why not get the ap to log the date in the timezone of the cache - then it would always be correct.

As a reluctant workaround, I no longer use the Geocaching Ap, rather I have moved to using Geosphere which has this issue sorted.

GSAK corrects date/time too. While on holiday in Australia a few weeks ago I didn't have my laptop but used GDAK to log via API in the evening. For the occasional early found caches I just changed the date (I keep my tablet on UTC, not local time). This was just for 4 weeks but it must be a pain in the ... living so far away from default Seattle time.

I doubt GS will ever fix this as they would probably have to adjust this in the entire database.

Hi I am UTC+1 Prague timezone, now here is 13.4.2017

This morning I add some record to the cache log with the correct date 13.4.

After that I setup up my account time preferences from default wrong UTC-something to right UTC+1 Prague,...

And now when want to add some record to the cache log the preffered date is incorrect local date 12.4. (it is looks like you local server time, not my local datetime)

So there are some bugs with timezones and dates. Thank you for fix it.