Unpublished Caches

I have recently encountered a unpublished cache that is blocking any new cache placements. At first I was told that the other user had two weeks to respond to the reviewer, now it's approaching 30 days and the reviewer is telling me that the area is still blocked by the unpublished caches.

Maybe this is a question one of the reviewer/moderators here could answer?

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add:

I found this in the help section

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=460

So if I'm reading it correctly it looks like you can create a cache listing and hold up that location for three months.

I was unaware that you could reserve a spot for that long. :(

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

At first I was told that the other user had two weeks to respond to the reviewer, now it's approaching 30 days and the reviewer is telling me that the area is still blocked by the unpublished caches.

I'm only guessing, but it's possible that the other cacher responded to the reviewer that they're still actively working on finishing their cache, which has extended their amount of time. I'd be surprised if the reviewer wouldn't tell you that, though. Did the reviewer not give you any information in your last communiqué beyond "Still a no-go"?

At first I was told that the other user had two weeks to respond to the reviewer, now it's approaching 30 days and the reviewer is telling me that the area is still blocked by the unpublished caches.

I'm only guessing, but it's possible that the other cacher responded to the reviewer that they're still actively working on finishing their cache, which has extended their amount of time. I'd be surprised if the reviewer wouldn't tell you that, though. Did the reviewer not give you any information in your last communiqué beyond "Still a no-go"?

It seems that is the case, sounds like a epic cache in the works.

I just got another response from the reviewer, so from what I can tell you can pretty much hold up a site indefiniyely without ever placing a cache at the location as long as you keep it work in progress.

The part I'm not understanding is how it's holding up such a large area of about a half mile. :anibad: If it were only 528 feet I would understand. :laughing:

One thing for sure, I have scouted the area and have a cache published there on an alternative site, so whatever it is it's going to be fun to tackle when it's published. B)

A multi with several physical stages can hold up a large area. Such a multi could take quite a bit of time to set up, especially if it has a high difficulty.

Austin

I hope it's a multi. The location is a half mile or more long island in a river. Hopefully it's not one of those awful puzzle caches.

if it's a multi I will find it. :anibad:

I'm only seeing one unpublished geocache for your account, and it's clearly labeled as a "coords check only" listing. Good job!

That cache page was submitted to the reviewer on July 5th and the reviewer replied on July 8th -- two weeks ago.

If there is further correspondence with the reviewer after July 8th, it must be in email since there's no logs on the page since the reviewer explained that another pending cache was hidden less than 528 feet away.

All looked normal to me here, unless I'm missing something not found on the cache page.

Edited by Keystone

I'm only seeing one unpublished geocache for your account, and it's clearly labeled as a "coords check only" listing. Good job!

That cache page was submitted to the reviewer on July 5th and the reviewer replied on July 8th -- two weeks ago.

If there is further correspondence with the reviewer after July 8th, it must be in email since there's no logs on the page since the reviewer explained that another pending cache was hidden less than 528 feet away.

All looked normal to me here, unless I'm missing something not found on the cache page.

That is one of the two of my caches I am speaking of, the other is archived on the lower end of the island. It's the unpublished cache in that area the is holding me up.

I'm guessing that is the other two geocachers that logged my archived cache that are working on a new cache of some type. If so, it will likely be an epic cache and I can't wait to find it once published, I enjoy their hides.

I feel like they have a reasonable time to work with, but I don't agree that the reviewer should hold that whole island for months on end.

My archived cache was first submitted on June 27th here on this site.

Thank you for taking a look.

I feel like they have a reasonable time to work with, but I don't agree that the reviewer should hold that whole island for months on end.

My feeling is: what's the difference if the person takes months and months to put the cache together or that it was published the next day? Either way, that area is unavailable for me to place a cache on since someone else has a cache there or is actively working on one.

My feeling is: what's the difference if the person takes months and months to put the cache together or that it was published the next day? Either way, that area is unavailable for me to place a cache on since someone else has a cache there or is actively working on one.

So the cache owner that is holding up an area large enought to support four geocache can keep actively working for the next year or whenever Groundspeak releases the hold on challenge caches. Would that be fair to the rest og the geocaching community?

What confuses me is I did not think we were allowed to reserve a location, and it does not take months to place and activate a geocache.

it does not take months to place and activate a geocache.
That depends on the geocache.

I would have to disagree, unless it's not winter friendly and you have to wait for the spring thaw or something.

Just saying "I'm still working on it" is not work in progress IMO.

That depends on what they're working on. They might be working on securing explicit permission from a land manager and unraveling the red tape may take longer than expected.

There are a couple of cache nearby that are not only not winter friendly but are located in areas that are closed during winter (it would be considered trespassing to find those cache 3-4 months of the year).

it does not take months to place and activate a geocache.
That depends on the geocache.
I would have to disagree, unless it's not winter friendly and you have to wait for the spring thaw or something.
I have found epic multi-stage caches that have required hours and hours of work to prepare. They might not have taken months if the owners could work full-time on developing them, but for cache owners who have a day job and other responsibilities in life, they could easily have taken months to develop.

I guess lot's of things are possible, but what I don't understand is way a reviewer will hold and area of a half mile or more while someone works on sorting out the details of a cache placement. That's that part that I don't understand, it's such a large area.

I agree. If the reviewer shared the reason (epic multi in progress; working on securing explicit permission) , it would be easier to understand and accept.

I guess lot's of things are possible, but what I don't understand is way a reviewer will hold and area of a half mile or more while someone works on sorting out the details of a cache placement. That's that part that I don't understand, it's such a large area.

I agree. If the reviewer shared the reason (epic multi in progress; working on securing explicit permission) , it would be easier to understand and accept.

Agreed, that I could understand.

But, "In this case, the parties in question are working on an elaborate cache and have remained in contact regarding their progress." I don't understand how it is holding up such a large area.

But, "In this case, the parties in question are working on an elaborate cache and have remained in contact regarding their progress." I don't understand how it is holding up such a large area.

TBH, you don't need to understand. There have been some plausible suggestions why this might be the case (e.g. multi, puzzle, etc.), but in the end it really doesn't matter what the reason. If the reviewer says it's off-limits, it's off-limits. They've told you that the other cachers are in contact and actively working on it, so there really isn't anything else to be done other than be patient. Be sure to come back here when their cache is published and let us know what it's like.

TBH, you don't need to understand. There have been some plausible suggestions why this might be the case (e.g. multi, puzzle, etc.), but in the end it really doesn't matter what the reason. If the reviewer says it's off-limits, it's off-limits. They've told you that the other cachers are in contact and actively working on it, so there really isn't anything else to be done other than be patient. Be sure to come back here when their cache is published and let us know what it's like.

Frankly I would just sit tight. Also check on the rules for the area.

Groundspeak has a .10 mile rule. But the local authority may have a much

Larger spread. Here a local county park board has a .25 mile spread.

It is not for you to understand, only to obey. That sounds harsh but is

The reality.