The Wet Fly Fisherman

So the other day I was fly fishing in a local river and right across where I was fishing is a popular cache where you must wade across the river to the cache. Anyway a family arrived and I caught a glimpse of an eTrex 30 so I figured they were going to do the cache, not five minutes later they where looking at the gps and preparing to wade they didn't have any waders and I did so I yelled to the father to come to me before the started I was only 10 feet out so I came in to shore and told him that the river is very deep in this area and can sweep anyone away so he should go a little father up. He ignored me and walked back to his family, a wife, husband and child around 10 years old. They made it across safely and when the parents started to look around the kid threw a rock at me the size of a baseball I dodged, lost my balance and fell. My waders filled up and I lost my custom fly rod and reel I dragged myself back to shore, took off my waders and walked back to the truck so I can wait for the family to come back. about 10 minutes later they came back and I gave it to the father, he smirked and told me that they should call me "The Wet Fly Fisherman". I knew better then to get physical so I hopped in my truck and drove off.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you think I should've done? Whats the cachers you've ran into?

Maybe you should have returned the kid's rock, thrown through the windshield of their car. :anibad:

Just like in any other thing in life, there are [jerks] out there and sometimes they cross our paths. You probably handled this in as good a manner as the situation allowed.......unless you had them out-gunned. :lol:

Edited by Keystone
potty language edited by moderator

Confronting an obnoxious person has killed a lot of people over the years. Someone such as he is likely to have gotten physical at times. He is probably well prepared for it- I'm betting there's at least a baseball bat in the car, if not a gun. I think you did the right thing, just go away and let it be. If it's some comfort, know that his little rock throwing brat will grow up to be a big brat soon enough and dad will experience years of heartache and sorrow. We reap what we sow.

I've never had a bad experience with another cacher in my 5 1/2 years of the activity, except a few clumsy hands trying to access some of my gadget caches, and then I don't think the instances were deliberate.

That sucks but you did the right thing. I am a cacher and a fishermen. My daughter would have never done anything like that with me around or I am sure without me around. Like someone else said I am sure he will have problems coming up soon. Just be glad you got out of the water safely. You can get another pole set up.

So there's a custom fly rod and reel still unfound?

Note to self - caches along rivers...

Haha yes and a Wooly Bugger!

A Wooly Bugger is easy to replace (it's one of the simplest flies to tie). I custom fly rod, not so much.

It's probably not there any more but I left some swag in the form of a custom ultra-light spinning rod made from a Fenwick blank in the Clark Fork of the Stanislaus river and didn't even trade up or even.

Wow, Im glad that you got away from that situation un-harmed... Ive had waders fill up before in a fast river and it is VERY scary to say the least. If the rock had hit you in the head you could have been in serious trouble if you blacked out. Did they end up being geocachers? Have you checked the logs on the cache to see if they were?

So there's a custom fly rod and reel still unfound?

Note to self - caches along rivers...

Haha yes and a Wooly Bugger!

A Wooly Bugger is easy to replace (it's one of the simplest flies to tie). I custom fly rod, not so much.

It's probably not there any more but I left some swag in the form of a custom ultra-light spinning rod made from a Fenwick blank in the Clark Fork of the Stanislaus river and didn't even trade up or even.

Not the first time I lost a rod. One time when fishing in Pulaski for salmon I hooked a huge king salmon unexpectedly and I pulled my Ugly Stik right into the water! I knew it was gone, never fished for salmon again. Taking a charter on Ontario in August to fulfill my life goal, cactching a salmon with a 36" ice fishing rod.

Edited by Fisher513

Just be glad you can still flyfish. I am now 90 years old. Flying and Flyfishing give me more enjoyment from any of my hobbies. The thrill of a perfect landing or the strike of a fish came to an end for me about 15 years ago when I lost three tendions in my right roto cuff.Too old for an operation. Thats when about the only thing i could do was geocaching. We have enjoyed geocaching but not as much as fly fishing or flying our own airplane to Alaska. i also tied my own wolly buggers. Great fly. Now my left shoulder is going bad for me. Just hope i can still drive a few more years. Getting old is not a bad option. Being old is not so great. Dick w7wt

Just be glad you can still flyfish. I am now 90 years old. Flying and Flyfishing give me more enjoyment from any of my hobbies. The thrill of a perfect landing or the strike of a fish came to an end for me about 15 years ago when I lost three tendions in my right roto cuff.Too old for an operation. Thats when about the only thing i could do was geocaching. We have enjoyed geocaching but not as much as fly fishing or flying our own airplane to Alaska. i also tied my own wolly buggers. Great fly. Now my left shoulder is going bad for me. Just hope i can still drive a few more years. Getting old is not a bad option. Being old is not so great. Dick w7wt

Dick, as a fellow fly fisherman and geocacher, I must say that you have been quite the inspiration for me over the years. Alaska is still a dream for me. Maybe one day.

No! good deed goes unpunished - some people remind you of this and alot would have appreceiated your efforts to help, sorry you lost your gear! As too what should you have done - you were out witnessed so the cops would not be an option. Get the licence plate and let them know you have it. Make a plan and do what ever you think is deserving!

Walking away was probable the smartest thing, but I'd of been tempted to call the police and have the kid charged with assult.

I'm not sure a really young kid can be held accountable, but his father can be. The kid probably only did it because the father was bad-mouthing you. You should have gotten his license and reported the incident to the police. Billed the guy for a new rod, maybe.

Did you check the cache's log to see who it was?

Given this individual's propensity for posting tall, one-sided tales in the forum, I think there is more to this story. Or much less.

Tales? I don't think so. And one sided seems a little hypocritical due to some of your posts, but all of my posts are 100% true... Just because you don't believe my threads doesn't mean that they aren't true. That is like saying the moon isn't real because you don't believe it is. I've had so many crazy experiences in my life I could write a series of books so please think of possibilities before you accuse.

Edited by Fisher513